Iceland and slimming world

I'm not sure I'm aware of palao.

What I love about this forum is the bench to allow ppl to discuss.

And more ppl read,discuss and educate themselves the healthier in the long run. Some ppl are told there free food ei eat them are happy and stay on track that's great, other ppl are interest why ppl have reservation and want to know more. It's all a good thing to share ideas.

I agree re budgets, I do sw successfully on a tight budget so do a lot of ppl.

I've heard people liken it to Atkins in that you can have lots of meat but have to cut out most carbs.

The Paleolithic - or Paleo - or Caveman - diet is a diet based on the food our ancient ancestors might likely have eaten, such as lean meat, nuts and berries. It's quite popular, though often controversial.

The premise of paleo is that "modern humans are said to be maladapted to eating foods such as grain, legumes, and dairy, and in particular the high-calorie processed foods that are a staple part of most modern diets. Proponents claim that modern humans' inability to properly metabolize these comparatively new types of food has led to modern-day problems such as obesity, heart disease, and diabetes. They claim that followers of the Paleolithic diet may enjoy a longer, healthier, more active life. But there are many critics of the diet who have pointed out a number of flaws with its underlying logic, including the fact that there is abundant evidence that paleolithic humans did in fact eat grains and legumes"

Food groups that you aren't supposed to eat are dairy products, grains (wheat, rye and barley, which make it a gluten-free diet), legumes (beans and peanuts), processed oils, refined sugar, salt, and neither alcohol nor coffee is considered "paleo" as our ancestors could not produce these drinks. Plus no processed foods are supposed to be eaten at all.

There are a few variants - including a version called primal - where extra foods are allowed - like cream, eggs etc.
You can't have processed oils but you can have ghee (clarified butter), you can't have flour but you can substitute it with things like arrowroot and other stuff to thicken or make cakes with.

I have a friend doing primal amd whilst it is giving her good results she finds it mega expensive buying the grass fed and organic food required.
I contemplated giving it a go as I am carb sensitive and allergic to a number of things.
But having read up on it I decided I really couldn't afford the expensive types of meat and fish that it advocates (an they're hard to find in Spain which was a major factor).
And having lost 5 stone on SW thought "Why mess around when I'm doing sonmething that already works"

The attraction with the new ready meals is that they are FREE.
Lets be honest, there are loads and loads of convenience (crap) foods available (always has been for as long as I've done SW ....25 years plus!!) on the SW plan that people eat every day but they most likely have to use SYNS on them. I occasionally, used to have a WW ready meal (for convenience) and add a pile of veg to it but it cost me dear in SYNS. The beauty of these is that they are FREE...so you get the best of both worlds, if that's what you choose
Look at the amount of Muller yogurts some people eat that are filled with sweeteners or packets of flavoured rice/noodles that have stuff in that I cant pronounce, I don't see these being discussed at length like the SW ready meals!! Its probably because they are new whereas a lot of the other stuff has been on the plan forever, so its just accepted.

You do not need to buy special meats to do Paleo and it is cheaper for me then SW. I don't do Paleo I do Primal and have done for 3 years. I eat 70g of meat which is what NHS recommend.I make my own burgers and meatballs which I buy the mince from a special online shop which when on offer is .99p for 400g so this does 4 servings(OH has a bigger portion than me). It is from grass fed cows.I get my chicken from them which works out cheap again I always buy when on offer and works out at .75p for a breast and is again from chickens which are reared outdoors. My diet consist of lots of fish,veg,salad items,poultry,meat.I eat porridge and fruit for breakfast which is a cheap filling meal.. I spend £40 a week for 2 and that is 3 meals a day,7 days a week.So as you can see it is cheap to do if you plan ahead. Didn't know you had to be doing a special diet to post in that forum.I may not do SW but I work with a couple who run classes and I help out with delivering the leaflets and running their web site. :) I started doing Primal Apr 2012 hit 8st 8lbs Oct 2012 and have kept below 9 stone since.:)

Where do you get your meat from? That's ever so cheap! I'm doing whole 30 at the moment (had even following SW up until that point and may come back hence following this thread) and I'm spending more on meat than I'd like...

. . . I buy the mince from a special online shop which when on offer is .99p for 400g . . . chicken from them which works out cheap again . . . at .75p for a breast. . .

Where do you get your meat from? That's ever so cheap! I'm doing whole 30 at the moment (had even following SW up until that point and may come back hence following this thread) and I'm spending more on meat than I'd like...

Good grief - that is really cheap. Most of the time you can't even get grotty mince in the supermarkets or butchers for that price.
I paid more than double that in a supermarket a few weeks when I was last in the UK and it wasn't even very nice.
I'm sure people wouold appreciate you sharing your source.

Good grief - that is really cheap. Most of the time you can't even get grotty mince in the supermarkets or butchers for that price.
I paid more than double that in a supermarket a few weeks when I was last in the UK and it wasn't even very nice.
I'm sure people wouold appreciate you sharing your source.

Alarm bells always ring when I see meat sold cheaply- it doesn't bode well for animal welfare.

Alarm bells always ring when I see meat sold cheaply- it doesn't bode well for animal welfare.

I only buy free range chickens and higher welfare pork so I will check before I place any order. You're right though, often cheap does mean poor standards for the animals. I tend to buy anything I see going out of date that has been reduced now and bung it in the freezer because it is so expensive to buy fresh.

I was tempted to go to Iceland today but I just have a feeling there will be none left!! Will wait a few days I think x

Apparently, my local Iceland is running very low on stock, but are expecting another delivery tomorrow.

The sausages are proving very popular amongst members of the Group that I go to.

I tried the chicken tikka masala this evening and I must say it was very nice! I think there was about 12 chunks of chicken and probably a bit too much sauce ( for my liking) but maybe next time I will add some more chicken or add some veg to it instead of making a separate veggie bhaji dish to go with it like I did tonight.
The flavour was really nice though and the chicken itself was very good as in it didn't feel or taste like processed rubbish and surprisingly, there isn't a list of additives in the ingredients so I'm really quite impressed.
The only reason I haven't tried anything else in he range is because they were sold out of the other ones I wanted to try!

I bought the sweet potato curry an the vegetable pasta to try, I was a bit reluctant considering the price. I have to say I was very impressed with both the portion size and the taste! Both were beautiful and I really think the curry will help me at the weekends when friends are having takeaway.

The recipes on the back seem simple enough, just general stock, chopped tomato and spices etc with the veggies added.

Will be heading to iceland later to use my remaining vouchers to keep me on track tomorrow night :)

Going to get some today I think!

Went into Iceland today and there was barely anything left. Managed to pick up some meatballs and the salmon meal though. Gutted I couldn't get the sausages! :(

Had the tikka chick curry ..nice and spicy ,lots of chicken but too much sauce for me

Attachments

• 1424460732461.jpg
    1424460732461.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 176
I bought the sweet potato curry an the vegetable pasta to try, I was a bit reluctant considering the price. I have to say I was very impressed with both the portion size and the taste! Both were beautiful and I really think the curry will help me at the weekends when friends are having takeaway.

The recipes on the back seem simple enough, just general stock, chopped tomato and spices etc with the veggies added.

Will be heading to iceland later to use my remaining vouchers to keep me on track tomorrow night :)

These are the only 2 I can eat as I don't eat meat. I tried the curry on Wednesday night and really enjoyed it. My mum had the pasta, and said it was delicious. (I tried a bit of hers and had to agree!) The portions were very generous- but it didn't stop me having my curry with rice though! Mum found that the pasta meal was enough on its own, although she is in her 80s and has a smaller appetite than me. I hope they bring out more veggie meals. I used my vouchers and bought another curry and pasta today.

Back