I'm considering lighterlife!

NN89

Sexy Member
Hi guys, i've made the step today to consider lighterlife, after trying and failing on slimming world i think i certainly need more dedication in my diet, and a regime to stick too which works! However i'm a bit concerned, i've read things here about ketosis- how on earth is that healthy? Also what are the prices like, I can't find much info on there at the moment!

Finally, i'm really worried about the side effects, what i liked about slimming world was i had more energy all the time- however people on here mention tiredness, headaches etc?

I've made contact with a counsellor and am waiting to hear back, however would like some views in the mean time!

Ketosis is a perfectly natural state of being whereby the body simply uses it's stored calories instead of it's intaking calories. There is nothing unhealthy about it, for want of a better comparison it's the same process that bears go through when being in hibernation!

Headaches and tiredness in the first few days is due to carbohydrate withdrawl. So long as you don't cheat, you'll feel fine after a few days and most people say they have more energy while in Ketosis, and losing the weight quickly will make you feel physically more able too.

Price is £70 a week, which is far less than a lot of people actually spent on food if you add up everything you buy in a week. Some people claim they don't spent anywhere near that a week on food, but honestly, I don't believe them, as I have doubts anyone could get to (and maintain) an obese state spending only £30 a week on eating and drinking! I was spending £100+ a week, so no only do I lose weight but I also save money by doing LL :)

Hi NN89,

I'm a serial dieter having done WW, SW, Rosemary Conley, Atkins, Neris and India diet, slimfast... you name it I did it. What makes LL different is the counselling (for me anyway), I was able to understand for the first time ever WHY I got so big. It's worth every penny. I lost 4 stone last year but then stopped going to class and put back on 2 stone, so I'm now back. You can feel yourself literally shrinking week by week. With WW, SW etc, losing half a pound a week isn't really inspiring when you have a lot to lose, LL gives you results, fast.
You'll find lots of support on these boards too
Lou xx

Hi,

I agree with Pete regarding the cost. £70 seems a lot, but i would quite happily nip to the local shops and add an extra £30 here and there on top of what I had already spent in the supermarket.

As for being in Ketosis, it makes me very happy to know I am as my energy is coming from my stored fat which is being burnt off! I'm fine with that!

My first few days were terrible with a vry bad headache, and yes, you feel cravings until you go into Ketosis, but if you are really detemined to get to a goal weight, what is a few days of detox? People crave on other diets too, but at least the physical hunger is very short term on LL.

Personally, I think LL is an amazing diet. I have been on the foodpacks since September and have lost over 5 stones. I am energetic, I swim, walk my dog much further than before, happily go out amongst people who are drinking and don't partake, love cooking and am being educated each week as to why I was overweight in the first place.

Even now when I look at food I love, I don't think, "Oh just a bit......", I think, " I don't need it...I will feel just the same afterwards ( bored, etc) but guilty aswell.

LL will introduce you to food in a healthy way once you have had a period of abstinence and taken a look at your eating issues.

If you want to lose weight and be educated in your own personal issues towards eating, I say go for it. Good luck. :)

Thanks for advice. I've decided to choose the slower way (back to slimming world) However IMO the healthier way. I'm a student nurse, and ketosis has always been associated with anorexia, starvation and the cause of many renal failure

Ketosis - Introduction

Hi I appreciate your concerns about this diet - I was freaked out when I first heard about it too.

The headaches and tiredness generally are only in the first few weeks. Then, once in full on ketosis, I felt FANTASTIC. more energy and vibrance then I had felt in YEARS.

It has been over 2 years since I started LL< and over a year since I completed it. In that time, I have had one.....yes one cold. And that was last week. And it lasted 2 days.

Prior to LL, a cold would last me over a week and I would be miserably sick. All I would have to do is hear someone had a cold and I would catch it. But My health has NEVER been better. I have been around poeple that were sick so much and nothing touched me until now, and before I even realised I was sick, I was on the mend.

Ketosis is not dangerous. As long as you follow the rules explicitely. You are checked monthly by a doctor. It is required.

Honestly, If I had more time I would write pages about the benefits of what LL has done for me.

Regrets? Not a singly one.

Good luck to you!!

xx

Hi I appreciate your concerns about this diet - I was freaked out when I first heard about it too.

The headaches and tiredness generally are only in the first few weeks. Then, once in full on ketosis, I felt FANTASTIC. more energy and vibrance then I had felt in YEARS.

It has been over 2 years since I started LL< and over a year since I completed it. In that time, I have had one.....yes one cold. And that was last week. And it lasted 2 days.

Prior to LL, a cold would last me over a week and I would be miserably sick. All I would have to do is hear someone had a cold and I would catch it. But My health has NEVER been better. I have been around poeple that were sick so much and nothing touched me until now, and before I even realised I was sick, I was on the mend.

Ketosis is not dangerous. As long as you follow the rules explicitely. You are checked monthly by a doctor. It is required.

Honestly, If I had more time I would write pages about the benefits of what LL has done for me.

Regrets? Not a singly one.

Good luck to you!!

xx

I totally agree with everything said!

Kat xx

From what I've read about ketosis - there are varying degrees of it. Severe ketosis (if your diet includes NO CARBOHYDRATES AT ALL) is lethal. ... But LL foodpacks do actually contain some - enough for you to NEVER go to a dangerous level of this state. The foodpacks are nutritionally complete. You are checked by a doctor as per requirement every month.

And to be fair, now that BL mentioned it... I've not had a proper cold for a very long time (cross fingers touch wood). I have officially been within the Lighter Life *thing* in one way or another for 2 years now - and while I was on the plan itself, I did not get sick even once. I actually only caught a cold when I reintroduced food! LOL! I've been off the packs for more than half a year now as well - and I can say, I am feeling pretty healthy. I eat well, and maintain fine. My head is in the right place and Lighter Life has really taught me more than just 'how to manage food'. ... It's given me my life back by teaching me how to handle difficult situations, problems, and even good things with a calm, healthy attitude.

Trust me... Lighter Life is more than just a diet. It's more than just a way to 'lose weight'. And many people will tell you... it works.

I had the tiredness for a few weeks but none of the other side effects at all, even in the first few days. The only cold I had last year was when I was off the diet.

everything said is so true, when you do all the research and try it you understand!
my cousin was 19 stone half a year ago and she is a nurse, but LL was reccommended to her by a doctor cuz she was so overweight, and shes done it and lost over 5 stone! and she cant reccommend the diet enough. so i wouldnt worry about it being unhealthy, it is. =] x

lol thanks blonde logic yes i did mean that i think i meant dont worry about it being unhealthy, it is healthy. haha how embarrassing! x

I can only speak from my own experience. My motivation to do LL was to improve my health and it has worked - big time. I have never been as healthy in my adult life as I have been in the past year.
The other things, like looking better, wearing heels, mini skirts, fashionable clothes etc, etc are all added bonuses and a new one seems to happen every day.
My GP and practice nurse both poo poohd the idea of VLCDs 2 years ago, but didn't know much about them. Now they are recommending them to obese patients before they consider other options like surgery or appetite suppressants.
I feel as though LL has given me my life back.
Good luck whatever you choose to do.

Like to say to this poster if the cost puts you off...Cambridge Diet is quite a bit cheaper identical to LL in most parts (we dont have the meetings...but your consultant will talk to you anyway ;) ) i pay around £38-40 per week

Good luck whatever you do

Like others, i have tried many diets most of my adult life such as SL, WW, atkins etc etc and none have succesfully worked.... and ive never lost enough at any one time to keep me motivated or haven't learnt to keep it off.

LL is different and i agree the councilling works best for me :)

I do agree... The counselling is exactly what was needed. I didn't realise I had a problem with food until it was discussed. I never knew that I actually had serious problems which needed resolving - and these issues always led me to seek comfort in food, let me to overeat and become the way I was.
It's not the diet to be honest. It's the support network and the true counselling and learning to think ACTIVELY rather than being told how to do something without a reason why.

:)

I am relatively new to the LL programme but have to say this is the most positive I have ever felt about a weight loss system. I have tried a lot of diets and some work and some don't, but the weight always went back on. For me, the counselling is the key to LL and that alone is worth the £70 a week. It's a small price to pay for such a big change and as has been said already if you added up every bit of food and drink you bought in a week I don't think you would be far off £70!

For me it is the psychology aspect that has made all the difference.
It's worth all the money. I've been almost every week for 2 years now. Since I gotto goal the maintenance classes are free.
We always have the opportunity to discuss issues with our LLC and the group.
We all know each other quite well now.
You wouldn't believe some of the discussions we have had, lots of laughs, a few tears, loads of support.
Where else could you get that for nothing. We do have a great LLC though.
Regarding the £70 per week.
If you honestly add up food, drinks, sweets, chocolates, meals out, take-ways, little stops at the petrol station, paper shop etc, etc, I bet it adds upto more than £70 per week. I saved money on LL
as well as my health and sanity.
Priceless !!!

Back