I'm new and need advice pls! :)

NatM70

Loves to post loads!
Hi Everyone :)

Firstly, I hope I am posting this in the right place, my apologies if not!

I've just joined this site after ordering my starter pack of S&S - it will arrive on Monday 18th Feb, so I'll be starting it immediately!

I have a few questions & concerns, which I am hoping someone can answer for me -

1. How much weight, on average, can be expected to lose per month?

2. When I reach my goal weight, how do I start to eat properly again without all the weight piling back on again!? I really don't want to spend a fortune on this VLCD, only to pile it all back on again!

3. I am on AD's - Mirtazipine - reknowned for weight gain. I am reducing slowly as I don't even need to be on them (mis-diagnosed by GP!). What I would like to know is, could this inhibit my weight loss progress?
I have gained weight due to these meds (tho most of the weight I need to lose is the weight I put on whilst pregnant!), but stabilized ages ago.
No one can tell me if this AD causes weight gain due to it causing a huge leap in appetite, or if it is because it affects metabolic rate - not even my GP!! I've also searched extensively online and can't really find any truth to any of this!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I have never done a VLCD before, and given that I am on AD's, I am really hoping this doesn't inhibit my weight loss!!

Thanks in advance,
Natalie x

Hi Natalie and welcome

Hope I can answer some of your questions! Firstly, average weight loss is around a stone a month, but that really depends a lot on how much you have to lose - I notice you don't have a great deal to go so you'll possibly find you lose a little less than this. The answer to your second question I think, is a very difficult one. You talk about AD's contributing to your need to lose weight, if your eating habits are fine and your weight gain is down to the AD's, then addressing this should sort things out for you. If, however, you are like me, and your reason for needing a VLCD is that you eat too much, then unless you change that aspect of yourself, you will gain once you "come off" a VLCD if you go back and eat how you ate before that resulted in the need to start a VLCD - if you catch my drift! - if you have food issues as I do, then you really need to work on your head eating while the VLCD sorts your body out (I can heartily recommend The Beck Diet Solution by Dr Judith Beck as a brilliant book to look at eating issues). How do you eat properly again - there is a very comprehensive refeed plan on the S&S website, well worth following to get you back to regular eating.

I'd talk to your practice nurse or doc about the AD's. VLCD's are known to not be great with AD's or those prone to low moods - that said, there are plenty of people on the forums on various AD's who can help out, as well as others who experience low moods but are not on AD's (I'm one of them). Chances are, there will be someone who's experienced what you have what you're going through and can help. The subforums don't get used so often, so you'll probably get quicker responses on the main general thread if you've got quick questions. I'm sure you'll be at target in no time :)

Hi Natalie and welcome

Hope I can answer some of your questions! Firstly, average weight loss is around a stone a month, but that really depends a lot on how much you have to lose - I notice you don't have a great deal to go so you'll possibly find you lose a little less than this. The answer to your second question I think, is a very difficult one. You talk about AD's contributing to your need to lose weight, if your eating habits are fine and your weight gain is down to the AD's, then addressing this should sort things out for you. If, however, you are like me, and your reason for needing a VLCD is that you eat too much, then unless you change that aspect of yourself, you will gain once you "come off" a VLCD if you go back and eat how you ate before that resulted in the need to start a VLCD - if you catch my drift! - if you have food issues as I do, then you really need to work on your head eating while the VLCD sorts your body out (I can heartily recommend The Beck Diet Solution by Dr Judith Beck as a brilliant book to look at eating issues). How do you eat properly again - there is a very comprehensive refeed plan on the S&S website, well worth following to get you back to regular eating.

I'd talk to your practice nurse or doc about the AD's. VLCD's are known to not be great with AD's or those prone to low moods - that said, there are plenty of people on the forums on various AD's who can help out, as well as others who experience low moods but are not on AD's (I'm one of them). Chances are, there will be someone who's experienced what you have what you're going through and can help. The subforums don't get used so often, so you'll probably get quicker responses on the main general thread if you've got quick questions. I'm sure you'll be at target in no time :)

Thanks SO much for taking the time to reply!

I don't really have a problem with food. I can be good if need be! The AD's did add some weight, but that was years ago, and it's not as if I am still gaining because I'm on AD's, but I think I am finding it hard to lose weight whilst on AD's.
The Doc is fine with me going on this VLCD, but he can't tell me if these meds make one gain weight due to increase in appetite, or a change in metabolism!
Where do you suggest I post this question on the forum? I am sorry to ask what is probably a very stupid question, but having only just joined, I haven't a clue!!

Trouble is with the AD's, this is going to take me a long time to stop them, because I am on a high dose, and have been since 2006. Like I said, mis-diagnosed, I am not, and have never, been depressed!

I'll look on S&S website for that info, thank you for pointing me in the right direction :)

Thanks so much again, I really appreciate you taking the time to answer :)

Natalie xxx

Ps. WELL DONE on your journey so far, I see you're doing amazingly well!! :)

Question number 2: there is a section of the slim and save site taking you through a 10 day re-feed x

If you scroll down the page where the subforums are shown at the top, you'll find a list of threads - most people seem to post and look in there rather than in these subforums - bit of a shame but that's how it goes! Took me a while to notice I could scroll down when I first joined, didn't think there was that much activity going on, then I found out where it was all happening :)

Question number 2: there is a section of the slim and save site taking you through a 10 day re-feed x

Thank you, I will have a look on there! :) xxx

If you scroll down the page where the subforums are shown at the top, you'll find a list of threads - most people seem to post and look in there rather than in these subforums - bit of a shame but that's how it goes! Took me a while to notice I could scroll down when I first joined, didn't think there was that much activity going on, then I found out where it was all happening :)

Thanks again, I will go and have a look now! :) xxx

Back