I'm really confused - protein & SS

polar

I am really confused - started doing Cambridge in September 09. I had done it before - 4 years ago but gained the weight I lost and more back.
My new counsellor is really nice and very supportive - she told me to do 3 packs a day and to eat protein as well - no restrictions on the protein as long as it was pure protien and no carbs so chicken, steak, ham, cheese etc. This sounded strange but she told me it was Cambridges new advice that people like me with a lot of weight to lose needed the extra.
So I started off - 3 shakes a day and some meat each day and for the first few weeks I lost a consistent 4lbs a week. Then I started to stretch it a little (as you do) and went down to 2 shakes a day and a meat and small portion of green vegetables meal once a day - this still worked lost 3 or 4 lbs a week.
In December I stopped and had 3 weeks off over the party season. Restarted on 4th January - 2 shakes and a meat meal - as suggested by the counsellor. I was really good last week, no carbs in the meal, predominantly meat and CD porridge for breakfast and then a shake in the evening and lots of water.
At my weigh in today - I had put on 2lb!!!!!!!! WHY??? I just dont understand why - and now I am really despondent and fed up!!
So tomorrow I am on to Sole Source with no additions!! Is this the right thing to do?
I am confused about the added protein - I see there is the maintenance plans but they arent pure protein and I have seen no other reference to this system - any counsellors out there that can advise me!!

I am really confused - started doing Cambridge in September 09. I had done it before - 4 years ago but gained the weight I lost and more back.
My new counsellor is really nice and very supportive - she told me to do 3 packs a day and to eat protein as well - no restrictions on the protein as long as it was pure protien and no carbs so chicken, steak, ham, cheese etc. This sounded strange but she told me it was Cambridges new advice that people like me with a lot of weight to lose needed the extra.
So I started off - 3 shakes a day and some meat each day and for the first few weeks I lost a consistent 4lbs a week. Then I started to stretch it a little (as you do) and went down to 2 shakes a day and a meat and small portion of green vegetables meal once a day - this still worked lost 3 or 4 lbs a week.
In December I stopped and had 3 weeks off over the party season. Restarted on 4th January - 2 shakes and a meat meal - as suggested by the counsellor. I was really good last week, no carbs in the meal, predominantly meat and CD porridge for breakfast and then a shake in the evening and lots of water.
At my weigh in today - I had put on 2lb!!!!!!!! WHY??? I just dont understand why - and now I am really despondent and fed up!!
So tomorrow I am on to Sole Source with no additions!! Is this the right thing to do?
I am confused about the added protein - I see there is the maintenance plans but they arent pure protein and I have seen no other reference to this system - any counsellors out there that can advise me!!

i really hope thats true that us with a lot of weight to lose can have unlimited protein ....i just cant do this cd at the mo and i really need too :(

It doesn't say in my book anything about eating protein with no restrictions - as that's essentially an Atkins type diet with CD as a supplement. If you're doing CD plans, whether that be SS, SS+, 810, 1200 and beyond, none of the programmes involve just 2 packs and protein... they are all either 3 packs plus a very restricted protein/veg meal, or 2 packs plus a whole load of other stuff that is not low carb...

so not sure if this is brand new advice or if she has mis-informed you. I would have thought it is mis-information given that there are other plans in the book and nothing about what your CDC has said. If you are concerned, raise it with your CDC or even Head Office.

As far as the gain... did you get weighed after your Christmas break? If not, is it possible that you're maybe still losing any weight you may have gained over Christmas. If yes, then perhaps you have eaten too many calories worth of protein... steak and cheese etc. are all packed full of hundreds of calories, so if you are eating more cals in protein than you are burning off, that could be the explanation.... maybe...?

Sorry can't be more help x

Hmm I don't see where your CDC is coming from either. You are doing the right thing by sticking to the plans in the yellow book as we know those plans work.

Is there any chance she meant to eat the protein until you got into ketosis?

Unfortunately you've been through that what a lot of us go through - changing one item of the plan leads to another change leads to another and then woosh - weight gain etc

Good luck with today.

Last edited:
Well, firstly as you should really be having 4 cd packs given your height, maybe she's asking you to substitute the pack... But I also had a lot to lose, and my cdc NEVER told me that. Maybe also the protein allowance (steak?? cheese??) is high in fat and your body is creating a roadblock. Even if you decide to sole source though, you're meant to have 4 packs a day

Hope one of the CDC's sees this and can put you right. I only started CD last week and having looked through my book it says nothing about what she has suggested. Even the web site doesn't say anything like that I don't think. Best get it checked out

Charlie xx

I've got the new book and it says nothing about this so I think that's your CDC's idea herself, not CD officially.

oh dear looks like your cdc has led you up the garden path!
none of the plans would incorporate 'unlimited' amounts of protein, even if as she said you have alot to lose...
for your height you should be on 4 a day unless you are doing ss+ which does include a very limited green and white meal.
do you have the sole source book? or the weight care with camb book?
maybe have a read of the plans and get yourself reacquainted with the actual cd plans and then confront your cdc about what she advised as it is most def not in the books...
is there a chance you misheard/ misunderstood her with regards to the protein? i would ask her to clarify what she meant.
good luck xxx

Hey Polar,
Just wanted to wish you best of luck with your journey.
It sounds to me like you are doing ss+ 3 products and a protein meal but why your having 2 products and unlimited protein I am not sure!
I think you need to clarify with your cdc what she is advising you to do. In the yellow book it tells you exactly what you should be having and if its not in the yellow book you cant have it! Ham and steak are not in there and really you should not be including these in your diet if you are following ss+.
I hope that helps you, and please call your cdc and have a chat with her.
xxx

Thanks for all your replies.

I do not have a book - was never given one!

I guess I will just put it behind me and get on with SS for now as I know that works. I will talk to my counsellor next week and ask her where she got these ideas from!!

Hi Polar,
You need to ask for the ss book and the weight care for cambridge book, all clients should be given these as they have all the information you need to refer to.
Hope that helps.
take care and good luck x

Is your CDC a trained and experienced.... because i smell a 'rat'.

1. She hasn't given you books
2. She misinformed you (completely)

she sounds a bit dodgy to me LOL x

Umm, yes I'm confused about the plan as there is definitely not one of those on Cambridge and as Curly says, you do need the yellow and the pink/blue book.

Okay, so for now, you are doing SS? 4 shakes a day? Do make sure you have 4 shakes. Do you have enough products to last you the week? (just thinking that if you are used to having 2 or 3, you may not have bought enough?)

You definitely need 4 if you are SSing.

Did you fill out a medical form before you started to be signed by the doctor?

Back