In it for the long haul

DDT

Good morning lovely ladies - as aserial lurker, i thought it was about time i showed my face (so to speak)

I am attending my first SW meeting monday evening - which i might add - extremely nervous - a little scared and most definatly excited.

I wll be going with two good friends - whom are both of similar size & weight to myself - so i feel a bit of friendly rivalry may take place.

I tried SW a good few years back - possibly 2003?? So its been a while - im most definatly rusty & will need a good deal of educating to get me up to speed.

I have around 5 stone to lose & am a little worried how long it will take to lose.

I just had a few questions if anyone could help??

I want to be prepared & plan to nip shopping today - what are your essentials to buy?
I think i will either do green dys or extr easy if that helps?

Any hints, tips ect majorly appreciated.

Im guessing this site will be part of my survival guide for the next year????

x

hiyer, firstly hello and welcome to the board, the advice i would give is it a look in the main section, on the low sin treats and general outline of the plan, also have a quick look at britmums, slimming world eats. good luck, let us know how you get on mon:D

Hello and welcome! If you're going green I would suggest tins of baked beans, chopped tomatoes, lentils, mixed beans (and chickpea dahl if you're going to Asda), lots of fruit and veg (fresh or frozen), quorn mince, sausages and pieces, eggs, 400g loaf of wholemeal bread, box of weetabix and fat free yogurts like Shape Zero or Activia ff. Good luck with your losses, I'm coming up to five stone since mid April last year so it is a long haul - but so worth it!

Hi and welcome, and well done for making that first step in deciding to make a lifestyle change. How long it will take to target varies from person to person, and depends on how much weight you have to lose and how well you stick to the plan. If it helps I lost 3 stone in just over a year, but in that year there was plenty of time I wasn't on plan so I could have targeted much earlier if I wanted!

As for Green days, I think BeeGee has come up with a good list of the basics. You might want to start searching on the recipes section of the board for meal ideas and plan your shopping around them.

Some hints/tips:
Write things down - make a note of what you've eaten, including your healthy extras and syns. I still do this at target now using a slim pocket diary, it really helps to keep track of what I eat throughout the day.

Make sure you weigh/measure healthy extras - guessing what 28g of cheese looks like everyday could add on extra syns in your week!

Don't weigh yourself at home throughout the week - it can mess with your motivation if you think you've gained or you might get complacent if it shows a loss when in reality you might have gained. Stick to your one weekly weigh in day!

If you slip up, don't fret - you need to put it behind you and get back on plan ASAP. Many people on here (including myself) have been in this position many times and it's so important not to dwell on it as it's likely you'll carry on eating off plan.

Last of all - enjoy it! SW is a brilliant plan, it's not for quick results but a healthy eating plan designed as a permanent lifestyle change, so enjoy your weightloss journey, however long it takes to reach your target.

Good luck!

Hello and welcome to minimins and SW x

There is lots of help and advice on this forum which is brilliant, some fantastic recipes to try ... I like to try new things every week to keep things interesting ... we really enjoy trying new foods as a family such as the chicken and sweetcorn soup ... its lovely.

I always like to plan my meals for the week so when i go to Tescos to do my trolley dash, I have my list in hand and will only buy things i need for the weeks recipes.

Goodluck and i am sure u will do well xxxx

Hiya, welcome to minimins.
Hello and welcome to minimins and SW x

There is lots of help and advice on this forum which is brilliant, some fantastic recipes to try ... I like to try new things every week to keep things interesting ... we really enjoy trying new foods as a family such as the chicken and sweetcorn soup ... its lovely.

I always like to plan my meals for the week so when i go to Tescos to do my trolley dash, I have my list in hand and will only buy things i need for the weeks recipes.

Goodluck and i am sure u will do well xxxx

I love chicken & sweetcorn soup. Do you have a recipe? X

Welcome to the site! It's great that you've got a couple of friends to go with, you should have lots of support both at group and online here at Minimins!

Everyone loses weight at different rates so it's impossible to say how long it would take you to lose 5 stone. It could take 6 months, it could take 18. It really depends on how much you stick to plan and how fast your metabolism is.

I've got loooooads to lose and I find it helps to look at short term goals rather than the "bigger picture", so you could set yourself 5 one stone goals and see how long it takes you to reach each one. There are challenges on the forum that you might find beneficial and there's also weigh in days.
The food diary section is a great way to keep tabs on what you're eating and get tips and support from other members too.

On top of BeeGee's list of starter items I would add your basics such as sweetener as a sugar replacement. The canderel powder is great for sweetening things up, whether it be a home made sweet and sour sauce or turning Quark into a gorgeous fat free fruit topping.
Quark is a fat free soft cheese which is found near the continental cheeses in a white tub with a blue foil lid. You can use it for all sorts of things, there's lots of recipes and uses for it on the forum if you do a search. I'm a convert after having it sweetened up on fruit, last week, it's gorgeous!
Would also recommend Mugshots or Cup A Pasta as a lot are syn free and great as part of a quick lunch.
Obviously the rice, pasta and potatoes/baking potatoes. Lots of fresh or frozen vegetables and fruit.
Low fat cheese, semi or skimmed milk. No added sugar squash, diet coke...low fat spread oo and FRYLITE, can't do Slimming World without Frylite!

Thankyou for all your replies!!
I have a very large shopping list & actually looking forward to buying it all and getting started!!!

Im going to search for some recipies i like the sound of & make a little folder with them all in!
xxx

welcome to minimins!
use this site...become addicted,lol....its an excellent source of advice,tips,support etc.
how long it takes depends as others have said on how you stick to the plan and different people do lose at different rates.
i took me 7 months to get to target with a loss of 3st 7.5lb (i 6 weeks later later re adjusted by 3lb so3st 10.5 loss) and it took my hubby 8 months to lose 8 stone.
i did very little exercise but rigidly stuck to plan.....my husband took up running and bits of other exercise as well as sticking rigidly to plan....so it can be done fairly quickly if you do follow it,i believe planning really helps with this and using sites like this and the fb group really help to motivate and support.

Well done on taking the plunge to join SW and welcome to Minis xxx

Stocking up i would advise Fry light is always top of my list i use the extra virgin olive oil one find it better than sunflower one, fruit veg meat potatoes and loads of herbs and spices along with tinned tomatoes are always on my list there are soooo many recepies you can make natural yogurt and quark another this list in endless lol

good luck tomorrow and if you need help give any one of us a shout we are here to give help and support xxxxx

Back