1 egg white: 15cals
Total: 655cals

Friday
Porridge - 110cals
240g tuna - 240cals
1 VLCD bar - 210cal
3 egg whites - 45cals
Total: 605cals

My personal view on this is people can do what they want with their bodies even if it goes against recomended guidlines, as your 600 cal plan does.

What I would say is that there are much better ways for you to achieve your desired results. Especially as your 6 week plan will only mean you need to lose 2lb a week.

You say you need 1600-1700 to maintain but in reality this would be higher as your not considering the cals you burn during daily activites, this would take it up to at least 1800, you could then reduce to 1250 cals for food and burn the rest via exercise - such as an intense interval workout (check out bodyrock.tv).

This would give you two main benifits:

1) your diet would be more enjoyable, easier to follow and healthier with your increases cal allowance.

2) the exercise would give you a much better result apperance wise, as losing 13.5lb and having the additional muscel tone would give you a much more 'attractive' body and a larger inch loss than just losing the lbs.

But at the end of the day we all must do what is right for ourselves so I wish you luck with your weight loss whichever way you decide.

I kinda agree that if you want to eat 600kcal as day, that's your prerogative - just be careful you don't go too far or lose too much weight

Are you sure you're not confusing BMR and daily burn? Basic metabolic rate is the amount of calories you burn by lying in bed, and that isn't the same as the amount of calories you burn in a day. Even if you're 'sedentary', I think the multiplication factor is still something like 1.2, so you actually burn ~1920 kcals a day. Here's a daily burn calculator Calculate Daily Calories Burned

Most people don't recommend less than 1200kcals a day, and when doing low calorie I tried not to go less than 1000 - otherwise its hard to get the full range of nutrients - consider taking a multivitamin.

Anyhow, good luck with your diet, whatever you decide to do!

Heyy :)

Can I just ask, have you tried to lose weight before??

Great doco on You Tube called Super Skinny Me, looks at very low cal diets, at what happens to your weight, body and mind during one, and what happens afterwards. I really recommend having a look at this!

Are you sure you're not confusing BMR and daily burn? Basic metabolic rate is the amount of calories you burn by lying in bed, and that isn't the same as the amount of calories you burn in a day. Even if you're 'sedentary', I think the multiplication factor is still something like 1.2, so you actually burn ~1920 kcals a day. Here's a daily burn calculator Calculate Daily Calories Burned

Most people don't recommend less than 1200kcals a day, and when doing low calorie I tried not to go less than 1000 - otherwise its hard to get the full range of nutrients - consider taking a multivitamin.

Anyhow, good luck with your diet, whatever you decide to do!
Thanks! I'm using the Harris-Benedict equation to calculate my daily calorie need; Harris-Benedict equation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. It gives me the number 1775 (1479 x 1.2) and drops around 5 units after each pound lost. The calculator you linked to says 1720 cals so it must be around 1600-1700 :).

Great doco on You Tube called Super Skinny Me, looks at very low cal diets, at what happens to your weight, body and mind during one, and what happens afterwards. I really recommend having a look at this!
I'm always up for a documentary :D. I've seen parts of this one though. Those diets weren't very clever though... eating 500-800 cals + burning off 1000 cals through exercise. No wonder they went weak and crazy. I'd never go that extreme!

Saturday & Sunday
1 hour walk

Porridge - 110cals
Bread - 100cals
120g tuna - 120cals
500g quark - 340cals
2 egg whites - 30cals
Total: 700cals

Had a good starting week, no problems at all (no cravings so far hehe) and I'm pleased to have stuck to the "-1000 rule".

I dont believe 600 calories a day is too low, especially over a short period of time. It is not going to hurt you to do it for a limited time which is what you seem to be planning. If you were gonna do it for a year that might a differnt story, but a few weeks or couple of months isnt a problem.

The problem comes when you come off it, your body will want to regain that weight pretty quick so thats the time to be very aware of whats going on weight wise.

My calorie intake was around 500 to 600 a day for almost 4 months, I lost almost 4 stone in that time and im very happy with the results. I did however take a vitamin supplement and a cod liver oil everyday, and still do. I feel very healthy and well on it (apart from a cold i have today).

Its surprising how much food you can have for 600 calories if you spend them wisely, and thats the key i believe. Make sure you eat good food, and dont go spending any calories on crappy sugary stuff. The main difficulty in keeping your calories that low is getting enough protein and calcium, so concentrate on that, egg whites are a really good source of low calorie protein and i see you are including those. Fresh Tuna is an excellent source of low calorie protein too. Eat as much varied salad as you can, making sure you choose differnt coloured salads ( you know, red peppers, red tomatoes, green salad leaves like baby spinach, purple beetroots). Avoid carbs as much as you can, you may get carb withdrawal at the start but it will go after a few days, and will help stop you getting hungry if you can keep the carbs at bay.

As of this month, I am now increasing my calories a little, currently im on around 700 to 800 a day and i will increase that a bit more each month until I find the optimum amount of calories to maintain my weight, and hopefully shift the last 2 stone in the process of finding it.

Good luck with your plan!

edit: wanted to add that i see you are 5 7 and currently weigh 10st 5lb, at your height you want to lose another stone, taking you down to around 9st 5lb, thats not too thin for that height. If you wanted to go below 9st, then that would be too thin, but i think you are right to try and shift that stone as quickly and painlessly as you can, although you are certainly not overweight at your current weight. Just be careful once you get there that you dont suddenly gain it all again, as you are likely to end up weighing more than you do now. Thats the price we pay for going on diets in the first place sadly.

What was a typical diet for you on these few calories

Monday
Porridge - 110cals
120g tuna - 120cals
Total: 230cals

Tuesday
1 hour walk

Porridge - 110cals
120g tuna - 120cals
Total: 230cals

Wednesday
1 hour walk x 2
(+ 3 hours shopping :D)

Porridge - 110cals
2 VLCD bars - 420cals
160g candy foam - 560cals
90g chips - 450cals
Total: 1540cals

Ate way too little earlier this week (wasn't hungry at all for some strange reason :confused:). I know it's gonna backfire in the long run so today I spent my left over calories on carbs (small amount but lots of cals).

I dont believe 600 calories a day is too low, especially over a short period of time.

Reading this had made my day.
You are one of the only people ive come across that shares this view. [:

Atm, im on 800cals [only counting food]
So really im abit over that everday with milk in tea ect.

I eat little and often. I take vitamin too.
I feel great, the odd dizzy spell that is sorted out by some sugar. :p
But ive lost 5lbs ish so far.

Did it in Janurary too and lost a stone in a month.

[:

As i said before, i lost weight, never put it back on when i was maintaining. the only time i put weight on was when i let go completely when i was on holiday, and im talking chips and cheese and stuff..
So, i dont think if you do things correctly you gain it all back on. I think its easier to maintain your weight the less you weigh.

x

Ate way too little earlier this week (wasn't hungry at all for some strange reason :confused:). I know it's gonna backfire in the long run so today I spent my left over calories on carbs (small amount but lots of cals).

Why do you think it will backfire?

x

Reading this had made my day.
You are one of the only people ive come across that shares this view. [:

Atm, im on 800cals [only counting food]
So really im abit over that everday with milk in tea ect.

I eat little and often. I take vitamin too.
I feel great, the odd dizzy spell that is sorted out by some sugar. :p
But ive lost 5lbs ish so far.

Did it in Janurary too and lost a stone in a month.

[:

As i said before, i lost weight, never put it back on when i was maintaining. the only time i put weight on was when i let go completely when i was on holiday, and im talking chips and cheese and stuff..
So, i dont think if you do things correctly you gain it all back on. I think its easier to maintain your weight the less you weigh.

x

I completely agree with this - I go on low cal diets and they work great for me. Every one says it will lead to a binge or putting the weight straight back on when you eat "normal" again but I don't think this is the case at all. Like you, the only time I put the weight on is when there's a speacial occasion (i.e a holiday) and then my eating is certainly not "normal" because I choose to really enjoy my food knowing that I can easily get back on track again! - as long as you don't go silly and gradually increase your calories it's fine!

Thumbs up to low cal diets! :D

I completely agree with this - I go on low cal diets and they work great for me. Every one says it will lead to a binge or putting the weight straight back on when you eat "normal" again but I don't think this is the case at all. Like you, the only time I put the weight on is when there's a speacial occasion (i.e a holiday) and then my eating is certainly not "normal" because I choose to really enjoy my food knowing that I can easily get back on track again! - as long as you don't go silly and gradually increase your calories it's fine!

Thumbs up to low cal diets! :D

Yeah, exactly.
On holiday you dont want to have to watch every single thing you put in your mouth. You just want to enjoy it. [:

Along side the fact that, i dont have a job..so im not going places burning the calories im eating everday.
Granted, i go rock climbing and hiking but on those days i up my calories slighly so im not going into a hugggeee minus figure which i think would be very unhealthy.

x

Bumppp.

How are you getting on?

x

Back