Intolerance

dreamslim

Silver Member
Hi all,

I'm after ideas for a friend - apologies to Starlight in advance if this is in the wrong place but didn't think it fit in recipes section...............

My friend has a wheat intolerance and is doing slimming world. She is really struggling to come up with breakfast ideas that are 'grab and go'. Coco pops are just about the only cereal without wheat but they are 6 syns for a 30g serving. Should point out she is also a veggie.
Any help would be greatly appreciated but it has to be quick and simple as she leaves for work ridiculously early in the morning.
Thanks in advance guys...............

How about hard boiled eggs with some cherry tomatoes?
Quorn sausages - do these have wheat in them?? I don't know!
Oats mixed into a yoghurt and left overnight -add sliced banana to get the superfree in.

How about hard boiled eggs with some cherry tomatoes?
Quorn sausages - do these have wheat in them?? I don't know!
Oats mixed into a yoghurt and left overnight -add sliced banana to get the superfree in.

Just what I was going to suggest:D

Just because it's breakfast doesn't mean you have to have cereal, what about boiled potatoes, mixed with mushrooms, onions etc, these can be prepared night before & just warmed up in the microwave.

Oats are a funny one because I don't think they are fully gluten/wheat free because of the way they are grown & processed (there can be stray pieces of wheat in them). You can get gluten free porridge but I don't know if its a HE. Rice crispies are gluten/wheat free too if I recall - but yeah a bit dull every day...

Omelette might be a good idea, you can make it up in the evening and reheat during the day. I've heard that baked bean omlettes are yummy!

Natural yoghurt/fruit has been a favourite of mine, and has the added bonus of being completely free of syns or HE's

Mushrooms/toms/egg on GF bread could be a good option too (i found gf bread intolerable unless it was toasted :p)

I mean you don't have to have traditional breakfast foods for breakfast. Just depends how willing you are to experiment. x

I have got my friend to sign up to this site coz all these ideas are brill. You're right about oats she can't eat them but can eat granola so the same idea but with granola could work?

some gluten free breads are HEXB so toast made into a bacon buttie. i do this often. i cook the bacon the night before.

also some gluten free rolls are a HEXB

28g of granola is 6 syns. It doesnt look to be a healthy extra.. (although I haven't got syns online at the mo and i'm referencing the old book) depends how strict your friend wants to be. most of the heBs are 6 syns so you wouldn't be eating any more calorie wise..

Although I have to say you wouldn't be able to go out and substitute 6 syns worth of coco pops :p granola would be a healthy alternative for a tweak x

hannata said:
28g of granola is 6 syns. It doesnt look to be a healthy extra.. (although I haven't got syns online at the mo and i'm referencing the old book) depends how strict your friend wants to be. most of the heBs are 6 syns so you wouldn't be eating any more calorie wise..

Although I have to say you wouldn't be able to go out and substitute 6 syns worth of coco pops :p granola would be a healthy alternative for a tweak x

Yeah I think it's a good tweak to make. Certainly much better than the coco pops. Haha. Plus, I guess without wheat fibre is a tough one anyway??

fruit smoothies maybe could always add a couple of syns worth of gluten free oats into the mix OR could just go oddball and have something not traditionally breakfast food. In japan the hotel i stayed in served chips for breakfast lol I think planning is key because its not easy to just grab foods if your coeliac but there is an ever increasing range of products available now.

How bad is the intolerance ? I am but not to the point I have to avoid it all just be careful of volume.

Applekath said:
How bad is the intolerance ? I am but not to the point I have to avoid it all just be careful of volume.

I'm not sure how to scale it really. If she eats, pretty much, any wheat it's bloating and generally feeling uncomfortable (sorry gem if you're reading this. Haha). Don't think there's any actual illness but the bloating starts after a very small amount.

Back