Ireland- bia- a bit of craic!

Hi all
can i join u ..
i'm doing SW from home as there are no classes near me :cry:
i'm on a very tight budget and limited timewise but am starting aqua aerobics next week so hope that will kick start my weight loss again
Hi - there were no classes near me so I joined online but they are starting one in Gort this week - so might join up when online is up in 2 weeks. Are you doing aqua in Ennis? I'm hoping to get there Friday morning.
I find SW doable on a budget - I've slowly expanded my spice rack - things like mushy pea curry and SW chips or smash pizza are cheap and easy comfort foods, plus so much better than the takeaway. If you like eggs there's tons you can do (I don't :rolleyes:) cheaply. I love soups and make pea and ham with the bacon bits from Lidl, or spicy butternut squash. Lean meat is prob the most expensive thing but bulk out mince with same weight of veg for lasagne, shepherds pie and spag bol. Have a look at Pete's recipe thread - absolutely divine meals there. And Good Luck.

There's a new SW class started in Gort - they had €9 off vouchers in the local supermarket and obviously people who had been to SW before thought it meant that registration would be free as it was always €9 to reg and €9 to weigh (still quite a bit more than our UK counterparts). Girls (and boys) who went on Thursday had to pay €18 to register and €9 to weigh! So even with the voucher it was €18 and €27 if you had no voucher! I think this is just too much to join a class, might stick to online.

I originally paid 18 euro to join Sept. 2011. I left for about three months this year, but went back and paid the 27 euro to keep my history instead of starting over again. It's about cost and worth, really. I think the group is worth the 27 euro. I'd easily spend that on a take away, so why shouldn't I invest it in myself? It's a small price to pay to have your Consultant only a phone call away if you get stuck or in trouble, and I find I'm the sort of person who needs a group. I need someone to report to, as when I took the 3 months off, I basically just maintained, more than anything else.

I know it is quite a bit of money when you're on a tight budget, as I am too, but I felt it was well worth it.

I originally paid 18 euro to join Sept. 2011. I left for about three months this year, but went back and paid the 27 euro to keep my history instead of starting over again. It's about cost and worth, really. I think the group is worth the 27 euro. I'd easily spend that on a take away, so why shouldn't I invest it in myself? It's a small price to pay to have your Consultant only a phone call away if you get stuck or in trouble, and I find I'm the sort of person who needs a group. I need someone to report to, as when I took the 3 months off, I basically just maintained, more than anything else.

I know it is quite a bit of money when you're on a tight budget, as I am too, but I felt it was well worth it.

I've been thinking about this and I guess it's just that it doesn't fit my life at the moment to go to class that it seems a lot to pay just to get weighed each week, as I've no one to mind the kids and I already use babysitter/creche so that I can fit in swimming and a 10k each week and I'm stretched at that. I can't take them to class as it's too late in the eve for them - they are early to bed kids. If I could stay for class I'd probably view it differently - but have decided to renew online for the next 3 months and see how I get on.

Hi - there were no classes near me so I joined online but they are starting one in Gort this week - so might join up when online is up in 2 weeks. Are you doing aqua in Ennis? I'm hoping to get there Friday morning.
I find SW doable on a budget - I've slowly expanded my spice rack - things like mushy pea curry and SW chips or smash pizza are cheap and easy comfort foods, plus so much better than the takeaway. If you like eggs there's tons you can do (I don't :rolleyes:) cheaply. I love soups and make pea and ham with the bacon bits from Lidl, or spicy butternut squash. Lean meat is prob the most expensive thing but bulk out mince with same weight of veg for lasagne, shepherds pie and spag bol. Have a look at Pete's recipe thread - absolutely divine meals there. And Good Luck.

Hi all
can i join u ..
i'm doing SW from home as there are no classes near me :cry:
i'm on a very tight budget and limited timewise but am starting aqua aerobics next week so hope that will kick start my weight loss again

as largerthanmost said, there are alot of low cost ways to do this. im unemployed so ive the same issue. i tend to eat much the same things for the majority of my days.

my breakfast can be weetabix/magic porridge/ or bacon eggs and beans.
lunch can be soup with pasta/ beans and potatos / salad
dinner is where i tend to eat my meat, predominantly mice and chicken for me - i order mine online, the dublin meat company do great deals and they deliver nationwide. their weekly specials are great and cheap. the mince is 95% lean and €5.50 per 800g. that price wont be beaten and delivery is only €5 and free on orders over €70.

with the mince i make sw burgers, chilli and bolognese/ pasta bake. this usually covers dinners for me and my gf for 4 dinners and the odd lunch. theres alot u can do and i have to say one of my favorite meals is the chilli. #

with the chicken, my favourite would be cajun chicken burgers with sw chips or the pasta carbonara recipe from the book in the start pack.

there are alot to make, even pasta 50c a bag in lidl and a quick passata sauce is a godsend and u wont get much cheaper. all of these meals will be accompanied by frut and veg as the 1/3 superfree. i hope that any of this will help.

as largerthanmost said, there are alot of low cost ways to do this. im unemployed so ive the same issue. i tend to eat much the same things for the majority of my days.

my breakfast can be weetabix/magic porridge/ or bacon eggs and beans.
lunch can be soup with pasta/ beans and potatos / salad
dinner is where i tend to eat my meat, predominantly mice and chicken for me - i order mine online, the dublin meat company do great deals and they deliver nationwide. their weekly specials are great and cheap. the mince is 95% lean and €5.50 per 800g. that price wont be beaten and delivery is only €5 and free on orders over €70.

with the mince i make sw burgers, chilli and bolognese/ pasta bake. this usually covers dinners for me and my gf for 4 dinners and the odd lunch. theres alot u can do and i have to say one of my favorite meals is the chilli. #

with the chicken, my favourite would be cajun chicken burgers with sw chips or the pasta carbonara recipe from the book in the start pack.

there are alot to make, even pasta 50c a bag in lidl and a quick passata sauce is a godsend and u wont get much cheaper. all of these meals will be accompanied by frut and veg as the 1/3 superfree. i hope that any of this will help.
Reading this reminded me I keep saying I will find a local factory direct butcher outlet & I'm still buying in the majors. And buy my spuds from a home grower. OK - that's Saturday's mission, off to find local suppliers.
Diet still going well? And Mice? I'm all for cost cutting but really :eek:

Hi guys im new to slimming world from dublin. Just joined tonight at a starting weight of 14s 12.5lbs. Hopefully i can chat to you guys and itll help keep me on the straight and narrow!

Hi guys im new to slimming world from dublin. Just joined tonight at a starting weight of 14s 12.5lbs. Hopefully i can chat to you guys and itll help keep me on the straight and narrow!
Good Luck - lots to read and keep you going on here - plus you'll never be short of a recipe idea. Let us know how you get on.

largerthanmost said:
Good Luck - lots to read and keep you going on here - plus you'll never be short of a recipe idea. Let us know how you get on.

Yeah will do my weigh in is not until thursday but im actually really excited!

Hi guys, Just at the end of day 1 of the diet and i feel it has went well. I used 8 syns and havnt felt hungry at all today. Only thing is my stomach is kind of sore and i cant help but keep using the toilet. I ate two bananas today could that have anything to do with the pains and toilet issues?
Sinead :)

The cramps are just your body getting used to the plan. Don't worry about it. It'll be grand in a week lol
I find now if I go off plan I'm crippled with pains the next day. Awful stuff.

xMandyDx said:
The cramps are just your body getting used to the plan. Don't worry about it. It'll be grand in a week lol
I find now if I go off plan I'm crippled with pains the next day. Awful stuff.

Yea was in bits yesterday. Feeling much better today though. Just gonna take it easy on the bananas just in case.

Irish Sausages

Hi Guys,

I'm in Monaghan and hoping to get my weight back on track.
I have been thinking of buying an actifry, has anyone got one of these and what way are they valued / syned in SW?
I'm a big lover of my grill but would appreciate if anyone could let me know if there are any low syn sausages in Supervalu or if not there in Aldi or Lidl.

Best of luck everyone.

Ok.. so I got Quorn sausages in Dunnes Stores, not too bad but not great either! would really appreciate if anyone knows any low syn sausages that can be bought in Dunnes, Supervalu, Aldi or Lidl sotres.

I had a great day yesterday and only used 2 syns :D

I got really depressed when I tried on clothes in Dunnes yesterday, I came home with yet another pair of tracksuit bottoms!! I was hoping to have the christening at the end of the month but going by the few bits I tried on yesterday I'm gonna have a hard time getting something to fit me by then.:(

Also my first totm started today since my son was born ..... do you normally put on weight this week or sts ?

Thanks
B

BrendaB said:
Hi Guys,

I have been thinking of buying an actifry, has anyone got one of these and what way are they valued / syned in SW?
I'm a big lover of my grill but would appreciate if anyone could let me know if there are any low syn sausages in Supervalu or if not there in Aldi or Lidl.

Best of luck everyone.

I had one of them u can make the sw chips in them and they taste lovely

Thanks Shinner12

Do I need to par boil or just chop a spud put them in the fryer? If they are syn free I'll be delighted ??

BrendaB said:
Thanks Shinner12

Do I need to par boil or just chop a spud put them in the fryer? If they are syn free I'll be delighted ??

Nope just chop the potato then pop them into the fryer and set it for about 22 mins and they're yum. U cud use two or 3 sprays of the frylight if you wanted to crisp them up

Hi Guys,

Best of luck everyone.
I'm in galway and can get Mallon's low fat sausages in Supavalu and Tesco - 2 syns each I think and they're nice. Or I use tesco low fat pork mince and add seasonings make little patties & cook on the George.
Re - actifry my OH has one and I've not used it much (trying to convince him that it would get more use at my house than his) but I do think it is good. I have seen people cooking whole meals in it - full breakfast and then tipping the beans in ! Not sure I'd do that .... but I like chips, wedges, butternut squash done in it. I didn't put the oil in the bottom but sprayed food with frylite so was syn free - otherwise I'd use less oil than they recommend and syn it just to make sure. It wouldn't add upto much if you cooked for the family together (ie you'd divide by how many portions for your oil share) My friend in the UK does a lot of her meat in it, so it's very versatile. hope this helps.

Lost 3.5lbs this week guys. Im happy with that loss for my first week

Well done!! That's briliant :clap:
I had a sneaky weigh in this morning... 2 1/2 Lbs off!! Can't believe it, I shouldn't be weighing till Monday and I have my totm.... I was sure because of it I was gonna have weight on. Yipeee such a good start.

Back