Is Atkins for me?

Hi,

I've been having trouble losing weight for awhile now. It's mainly down to eating far too many carbs at the wrong times of day and not exercising.
Now I've started exercising (not a huge amount but 30-45 minutes gentle a day) but I can't stop eating potatoes/bread etc.
It's things like steak and mash, chicken wrap and chips, sausage and mash.
Soo tell me all about Atkins if you don't mind and maybe help me decide if its the right choice for me : )

Hi embarrassed and confused. LOL love your nick.

Have a look at the stickies at the top of the Atkins forum, that should help. If you do come and join us, welcome. :)

I am the same as you, far too many carbs at the wrong times of the day! Well after a week on atkins and losing 14lbs, I think this is the one for me! Like Jim said have a read. I dont crave or want carbs at all and thats only after the first week!

Thank you both for your positive replies.
Well done on your weight loss Boo!
I don't think mine'll ever be so rapid, I just want to feel less like a fat dwarf! I hate being short haha.
I've had a look at all your info and I think it's something I can manage.
The main things I eat at the moment are chicken and fish...so this would continue to be OK? I also eat a hell of a lot of veg, how would this pan out with Atkins?
I'm a bit slow sorry :)

From what I understand (I'm still fairly new to this) the meat and fish are fine to carry on eating. With the salad and veg they say to limit it to 2-3 mugs a day.

I have made few mistakes in my choices of veggies and salads, for example, red onion contain a high amount of carbs. Now if I am not 100% I ask here or google the carb amount of certain foods.

From what I understand (I'm still fairly new to this) the meat and fish are fine to carry on eating. With the salad and veg they say to limit it to 2-3 mugs a day.

I have made few mistakes in my choices of veggies and salads, for example, red onion contain a high amount of carbs. Now if I am not 100% I ask here or google the carb amount of certain foods.

Good idea!
I'm totally into eating lots of (the right) salads as I absolutely love salads...but as you say the right ingredients are important.

I need something that's gonna help me lose three/four stone and help me stop it with the spuds haha!

I was a potato person too! But there are some lovely recipes on here, and even a bread substitute!

I used to eat mash potatoes now I have brocolli and/or sprouts mashed with a knob of butter.

Hello and Welcome :) I was the biggest pasta eater in the world. After being on slimming world a while ago and being able to eat as much quorn bol and pasta as you want I got used to eating nearly half a packet of spaghetti in one go!
I havent missed carbs at all. I think if someone put a sandwich infront of me now I would quite easily decline it.
Have a good read - this forum is fab!

I'm really intrigued! Especially as you carb fiends seem to have been controlled and I can't live without 'em at the moment!
Next step - buy the book on Ebay?
How is Coke Zero tolerated? I know it sounds a strange question but I have got myself off full-fat to Coke Zero and wonder if it's gonna have to go altogether haha.

LOL - Some do some don't. For some they are fine when they drink it, although the first 2 weeks on induction you should really stick to water. But I think its upto the individual. For soem it stalls weight loss.
I am a big fan of squash but I gave it up, I will drink it again in a few weeks, but the sugar free stuff.

I love my Coke :( haha.
I could probably stop it altogether but I don't know, I don't want to feel like there's no enjoyment in food/drink!
Water to begin with though definitely!
I'm too poor to do a shop so I'll have to do the best with the food I've got. Somehow!!

Is coke Zero Decaf? You should really have decaf! I think that was the worst part - coming off the caffeine.
Get yourself to Lidl/Aldi for some cheap but nice low carb sausages !

I never thought I was a caffeine person but it seems Zero isn't decaf...hmmm. I guess I'll have to swap it for something else - I need fizzy though haha. Sugar free something or other I suppose!
I love sausages haha, I've got low fat ones but I'll swap 'em for Aldi's when I have any money spare haha

Welcome and good luck.

I think you will love Atkins. And yes, please do buy the book on ebay. Dr Atkins New Dieting Revolution. Orange cover, paperback. they come up regularly and are not expensive. You can buy on amazon too of course, or in a bookshop.

Try the official website, The Atkins Community. Very useful although it is American. Lots of advice regarding the day to day business of Atkins eating and living.

Keep posting! We encourage and support each other through all the ups and downs.

Welcome and good luck.

I think you will love Atkins. And yes, please do buy the book on ebay. Dr Atkins New Dieting Revolution. Orange cover, paperback. they come up regularly and are not expensive. You can buy on amazon too of course, or in a bookshop.

Try the official website, The Atkins Community. Very useful although it is American. Lots of advice regarding the day to day business of Atkins eating and living.

Keep posting! We encourage and support each other through all the ups and downs.

Hi,

Thanks for your advice - I'll definitely buy the book once I'm in a position to do so!
As it stands I'm in a bit of a limbo position (moving house/between jobs/etc) so as soon as I am settled (2 weeks max) I'll definitely be fully into it. Until then I'm gonna do my best to follow a skeleton version using tips and advice I've picked up from here and other online sources! :)

Longratia and her sausages :p

There are lots of lovely recipes here too and online, things that you wouldn't even think to make and taste nice. Tonight I made homemade burgers and they tasted SOOOO naughty! :D But oh soo good!

Longratia and her sausages :p
Lol :D
If its not edible sausages I also have 3 sausage dogs at home :) (not edible)

Oh I don't know, I've always fancied a dachshund for breakfast. :D

Last edited:
Back