Is it too early to buy new clothes?

Pickle87

Hi guys just thought I would put this question up as not sure if I am jumping the gun or not.

My 5th weigh in tomorrow, so far have lost just under 1 and a half stones. My top size has gone from a 24-26 to a 22-24. My best friends birthday party is in the first week of May, I have seen a dress I really really want but there is a problem, its only available in a 20-22 and its limited stock. Given that I have about 8 weeks to get down to that size do you think I should take the plunge and order it? Or am I jumping the gun a bit?

It could give you the determination to get there, so if I were you, I would get it.
If, by any chance, you don't get into in by May, you will get in it soon enough, but I can't see why you can't!
I'd say go for it!

i wud buy the dress, cos by the weight losses u r having u will easily gt into the dress, i wud wish u luck but u wont need it cos u doing fab, but i do mean that in a nice way xxx

You'll definitely get in to the dress if you carry on the way youare. Go buy it and enjoy looking forward to wearing it.
Well done on your weight loss :)

Yep, go and buy it :) Like others have said it will give you the determination to get into it! make sure you hang it somewhere you will see it everyday, to remind you to keep on track :)

Good luck :) xxx

I would buy it!!!

And in answer to the title of this thread, I honestly believe its vital to treat yourself to new clothes throughout your weightloss journey. I bought stuff in pretty much every size from 24 right down to my current 10. I trawled the charity shops for bargains, and picked things up in the sales - my local primark always have a sale rail, for example. It made me feel great to wear clothes that fitted me, which motivated me to keep going. I must admit there was a lot of waste, especially as sometimes I bought a size down then forgot and by the time I tried it on again it was too big! But I really didn't mind, and passed the stuff on again to friends, family or back to the charity shop.

It actually still feels weird to not be buying a size down anymore, if somethings too small now I can't buy it, it used to be I just bought it anyway!!!

Enjoy the party, you will look fab!!!

How unhappy will you be if you don't fit into it for your best friend's birthday?

The night of the event you find it is too big for you and you no longer can wear it, what will be the plan of action?

Do you have another event in the next few months you could wear it for if you don't fit into it for your best friends birthday?

Is it quite expensive and/or have a decent resale value? (I assume you plan to keep losing past size 20)

Can you order it nearer the time? ie 2 weeks prior rather than 8 weeks. How limited is it?

Some questions that may help you decide.

Personally, I think you should treat yourself to it if you want it.

However, you have done fantastically so far, don't let your clothes dictate your success.

Hey gorgeous, firstly congrats. Personally i would order the dress none the less. Take the tags off and put it in ur wardrobe. We, nore you can garentee no matter how hard you try or put your heart and sole into this, yes youl have losses, but we cannot garentee you will fit in that dress... everyone looses weight on different areas of thier bodys, or drop dresses sizes 3-4 in a month, but can shift 2 stone and not have dropped a dress size yet.

Keep that dress, because with determination, you will fit in it.. and i sincerly hope that you get to wear it on your special event, but dont allow the dress to be pressure you dont need. if it doesnt fit that night, who cares, aslong as your still following plan, it will eventually.. and when it does it'l be amazing, and if you fit in it that night.. well done to you, and you can tell everyone and youl be so proud.

i made the mistake of putting pressure on myself to have weight off in a certain amount of time, to fit in somthing by a certain date, etc and all it did was make me stressed, and often ended up badly food wise, because i was so scared of not 'completling' my goal in time, that id be ashamed and humiliated that i couldnt do it. that feeling was so strong it was self distructive and i spent the first couple of months hating my new body and confused with new clothes and the new me.

We all should enjoy thsi weight loss journey, no matter how fast or slow it is, enjoy it, dont feel stressed or end up hating the plan.. take each day as a new one, as your own. in your own time, and that dress will fit.

LOts of love xxx

The rate you are losing I reckon that shouldn't be a problem - so go for it!
I am not buying any new clothes til I hit target. Well - that is teh plan anyway! I have plenty of T Shirts that used to fit that I can go back into - however jeans may be an issue. My jeans are already really lose around the legs after losing 2.5 stone - cannot imagine how lose they will be after losing another 3.5 stone.

Some great replies thanks everyone.

It's limited stock because its in the sale and so is £10 but its a stunning dress plus if its a bit big for me come May I should be able to take it in, its easier to take something in than let it out.

H*Bomb, don't talk to me about loose trousers, mine fell down today while I was trying to put my rucksack on and the bus got a view of my bum :O

Some great replies thanks everyone.

It's limited stock because its in the sale and so is £10 but its a stunning dress plus if its a bit big for me come May I should be able to take it in, its easier to take something in than let it out.

H*Bomb, don't talk to me about loose trousers, mine fell down today while I was trying to put my rucksack on and the bus got a view of my bum :O

ha ha! that made me laugh.
well done on your weight loss, and good luck with the dress, im sure you will look and feel a million dollars in it! :)

As I keep telling my OH when she buys more trousers - JUST BUY A BELT!!!
:D

:pwhy not? u seem to losing the weight quickly enough to justify it!! but if you still feel unsure then buy it when you know you still have 28 days to go and return it that way you can be sure of not wasting your money!! just keep the labels on till the day you have to wear it!!

and fingers crossed you will have to take it back for an even smaller size!:p

Back