Is it worth going to group?

I think it helps. You pick up so many hints and recipes and there's so much support.

I have to say, before I joined SW the very thought of going to a slimming group filled me with horror but now I wouldn't miss going to group.

I think it depends on the group and consultant and don't be afraid to move around until you find one that suits you and makes you feel like you're getting the most out of it.

I LOVE the group I'm going to and believe if I wasn't staying each week then I wouldn't be doing as well as I am.

I think it's worth it to get access to the website with all the syns etc. I find going to group helps me stay on the straight and narrow more than I would on my own.

It's you and only you who knows if it will help you out or not.

Oh I love group :) The group of people there are just fantastic, we all look out for each other and are friends. Gave me a new social circle and some fantastic new friends - Ran the abbey dash 10k in Leeds today with one of my fab new friends from group. Going to group keeps you focussed and makes you feel far less alone on your journey. Never miss group unless I absolutely have to.

I only joined a group so I would be accountable and the thought of getting weighed in public kept me going to target.I also love the Hifi bars and you can only buy them at group. Hand on heart, though, I find the meetings quite tedious and now I'm at target, I tend to weigh and go.

I changed groups earlier this year after my old C left & the new one wasn't as erm, encouraging, I gave her a few months then found another group. This one is brill, the C is encouraging & 'bossy' in a nice way, she makes sure people are responsible for their own actions but gives loads of encouragement so we don't want to go off track.

For example during the summer she brought in two picnic baskets, one planned with SW foods, the other not planned & she demonstrated how easy not planning a picnic could lead to extra syns.

Even though I'm at target I go as often as I can to class & try & stay for meetings, I don't always as I'm sometimes going out but I'll do my best, I love my group.

If you've got a good consultant and a good group then it's well worth going - I've got to know new people and it's useful to get new ideas. Tasting evenings are fun for being able to try out the things you haven't yet made :)

I've met some lovely people through going to group, wouldn't be without them! They're a fab bunch of ladies and gents and I've made some new friends which I never expected when I started SW nearly two years ago. Go to group with an open mind and engage with people and you never know what might happen. We've had no consultant for a while as our last one had to leave but our new one is great, really good fun and doesn't take it all to seriously which suits me. We have a right giggle every week and IT is never tedious because someone always has something interesting to say. Group is what you make it to a large extent and having a good C is important but being willing to participate yourself is even more important IMO :)

Well worth going, but I agree that if you dont feel a connection with the group or consultant then move to another group.Im really lucky the group I go to is like a big family, without the bickering lol :)

I love going to group, having people who are actually interested in your losses and oops's with you, congratulating you for turning up if you gain, or for your losses.

I never thought in a million years I would go to a slimming group, but now I wouldn't miss it ! I always come away feeling recharged and ready for the week ahead. With plenty of tips and recipes.

Visit or telephone the groups near you and those that you can actually get too! That way you can meet the consultant and decide if they are right for you !

My consultant is fab and I'm lucky to have her.
Good luck with your journey

I just weigh but I still think it's worth it. . Nice to get magazine and hifi

The options always there to stay! !

X

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Probably doesn't answer your question as I've never been to a group- but I thought it might be worth giving the other side of things as well. I don't have a way of getting to my nearest group as it's quite far away and I work long hours and wouldn't fancy a long 1hour round trip + meeting time, so I joined online.
I gave myself the best chance and bought the gold package- but to be honest I'm not sure the book was worth it and I should have gone for silver. I find great recipes and ideas online, in my recipe books, in the magazine or on things like *********. I find it great and without the effort of having to go out in the freezing cold when I'd rather be at home and warm!

I've lost just over half a stone in 3 weeks by doing it online and I can't say it's been tough particularly. I have my fiance who supports me and reminds me that I shouldn't eat things- which, I guess, is very helpful. I had a bit of a bad week this week and still lost just over 1lb somehow. But, I guess, it was just a few days of mishap rather than a whole week like it would have been before.

I can see the benefits of groups. But, I think it can easily be followed online also. I think it just takes a bit more willpower. I send my weight to my mum every Tuesday via picture message so I feel like I've got that person juding me and I couldn't cheat. I do wonder when I see the massive losses online of 20lbs in a week etc whether they lied at weigh in or whether some people can manage that!

do people find it worth while or just a waste of money

It really depends on what kind of personality you have. I went once to one class and to say that I cringed would be understating it big time. I personally found it to be very humiliating and boring going through everyone's progress in front of everyone else. It made me think of what the alcoholics anonymous meetings in America would be like. Very americanized model. I do not like the group thing at all. if your head is in the zone, you wont need others to re enforce it. I also felt we were at a cattle mart plonking ourselves onto a weighing scale in front of others like pieces of meat even though they cant see your weight but I felt really silly. Apart from that, some people just love to keep talking about themselves with no self awareness that they are boring the pants off everyone else.

That said, and as others have said, they find it very helpful and useful to their weightloss and it is very successful in assisting them with their eating plan. Horses for coarses.

Apart from that, some people just love to keep talking about themselves with no self awareness that they are boring the pants off everyone else.

THIS!!!!!! I have been to 3 different groups and there is ALWAYS at least one.

But worried you found group humiliating though - it should never be like that!

. Apart from that, some people just love to keep talking about themselves with no self awareness that they are boring the pants off everyone else.

I have to agree with this, I think going to group would be much better for me if there wasn't so much of this going on. The group I went to was huge so image therapy lasted for AGES! Now I just do it at home.

Although having heard what some of the others have said I might be tempted to rejoin and try and find a different group. I think maybe there might be a better group out there for me.

I have to admit that although I do lose doing it on my own I had better losses when going to group and was also less likely to have "a week off" :p the knowing you're going to be weighed by someone else each week does help me to stay on track.

THIS!!!!!! I have been to 3 different groups and there is ALWAYS at least one.

But worried you found group humiliating though - it should never be like that!

I guess, I am quite shy and because the group was so big, when they announce "name...... you lost 2lbs this week" and everyone claps, I just went quite red, lol.

I have to agree with this, I think going to group would be much better for me if there wasn't so much of this going on. The group I went to was huge so image therapy lasted for AGES! Now I just do it at home.

Although having heard what some of the others have said I might be tempted to rejoin and try and find a different group. I think maybe there might be a better group out there for me.

I have to admit that although I do lose doing it on my own I had better losses when going to group and was also less likely to have "a week off" :p the knowing you're going to be weighed by someone else each week does help me to stay on track.

Yeah, sometimes the subconscious bit if competition and knowing that we are accountable to somebody can help. I would love to even find a small group. its just the big group thing with announcements and personal stories that are very boring (to some) put me off, somewhat.

Personally I need to go to group. My motivation is high when I start a diet but after a couple of months I give up. With going to group I come away feeling motivated and I'm less likely to fall of the wagon or if I do have a bad week I find the support from my group helps me back on track a lot soon than I would on my own. Regarding image therapy, when I first started I hated every second of it. When it came to my turn I used to cringe and turn bright red and hated winning slimmer of the week as I was so self conscious. As I've gotten to know my group and my confidence has returned with the weight loss I now no longer mind speaking about my week and volunteer recipes. I couldn't have succeeded without my group but that's based on my own lack of will power lol

Back