Is Ketosis a waste of time then?

onefatmama

morning all,

I have been eating chicken salads this week with my shakes as I have been unwell.

I checked this morning and I'm out of keto:(, with my salad I had fresh salsa as it's low in carb and fat. Do you think this could have be to blame?

If so, how quickly can I get back into keto? I have started SS 100% today as I feel much better.

If there was alot of sugar in the salsa, then would my glycogen stores full up with the sugar as much as it would with carbs?

Thanks in advance

ofm xx

Oh gosh. Don't know where to start with this one:D

Okay, firstly. What makes you think you are out of ketosis?

And secondly, best to avoid salsa if you are doing SS or SS+. Whether it'll knock you out of ketosis will depend on many things.

Whether being knocked out of ketosis is a problem will also depend on many things :D

Oh gosh. Don't know where to start with this one:D

Okay, firstly. What makes you think you are out of ketosis?

Hi KD,

I tested yesterday and it was a nice shade of pink, but this morning, with first wee of the day, it didn't change and was very negative:(

Hi KD,

I tested yesterday and it was a nice shade of pink, but this morning, with first wee of the day, it didn't change and was very negative:(

Okay, remember that the ketostix aren't to test for ketosis. Mine were always beige.

They just test for excess ketones (ie ketones your body isn't using).

The benefit of being in ketosis on this diet is so you don't suffer massive hunger pangs. If that isn't happening, then don't worry.

Best to avoid the salsa though ;)

Okay, remember that the ketostix aren't to test for ketosis. Mine were always beige.

They just test for excess ketones (ie ketones your body isn't using).

The benefit of being in ketosis on this diet is so you don't suffer massive hunger pangs. If that isn't happening, then don't worry.

Best to avoid the salsa though ;)

Hi again:)

I tested again just now and it's back in the pink, phew!

Regarding keto, I thought it was to burn fat and not just to ease the hunger:confused: I always feel hungry, I did the last time I did CD.

ofm x

Regarding keto, I thought it was to burn fat and not just to ease the hunger:confused:

No, you burn fat because you've reduced calories. You can gain fat in ketosis if you eat too much, you can burn fat out of ketosis if your calories are low enough.

Ketosis doesn't really make much difference, except the pleasant side effects of reduced hunger and cravings makes the diet easier to follow

Just to add my 2p's worth, I also tested out of keto yesterday, but i know I was still in because of the lovely taste in my mouth (NOT) and feeling like a kid with a sugar rush :D

My take is if I stick to it I will loose weight, the rest is just my head trying to mess with me.

No, you burn fat because you've reduced calories. You can gain fat in ketosis if you eat too much, you can burn fat out of ketosis if your calories are low enough.

Ketosis doesn't really make much difference, except the pleasant side effects of reduced hunger and cravings makes the diet easier to follow

Hi,

Hi KD,

Iv got tons of questions now sorry:D

I always thought the whole point of eliminating carbs (well almost) on CD was to kick you into keto, and keep you there because it's the 'golden fat burn zone', I thought ketosis showed that your body was eating it's own fat stores:confused:

If it's to just reduce hunger, which it's not in my case:(, then why am I spending £40 a week on tetra's if I can just starve myself on my own vlcd of 400kcals and take multivits?

What I've noticed is that when I've done low kcal diets in the past, I lose very little each week, but when I've done SS in the past I have lost more. why is that if keto means nothing apart from a moderate appetite suppressant:confused:

I'm just really confused now and disheartened:( When I saw the pink, it boosted me up because I thought it was a sign of my body burning fat for energy.

Sorry for all the ????

ofm x

I always thought the whole point of eliminating carbs (well almost) on CD was to kick you into keto, and keep you there because it's the 'golden fat burn zone', I thought ketosis showed that your body was eating it's own fat stores:confused:

Well, yes and no. On this diet, yes, but keto itself doesn't mean you are losing fat. If you eat a ton of fat, the stix can show ketosis, but you wont be losing stored fat.

But on this diet, you aren't eating a ton of fat, so if the stix show pink, you are burning fat.

BUT...big but here. If the stix aren't pink, it doesn't mean you are NOT burning fat. Also doesn't mean you are NOT in ketosis, as the sticks aren't a test for ketosis. Also you don't have to be in ketosis to burn fat. Most other diets don't use ketosis, but people still lose fat.

If it's to just reduce hunger, which it's not in my case:(, then why am I spending £40 a week on tetra's if I can just starve myself on my own vlcd of 400kcals and take multivits?
Hopefully you are doing it because it's a safe way to VLCD. DIY VLCDs aren't safe.

You cannot get the correct balance of macronutrients on 400kcals without a formula designed for it. The vits and minerals are important too but an A to Z of vits aren't going to give you everything you need.

Too short of protein? Kind of 'can kill'. Not too cool. As for the £40. I guess a poor diet with a multivitamin, though unsafe may be cheaper. Cambridge is similar in price to a healthy food basket.

What I've noticed is that when I've done low kcal diets in the past, I lose very little each week, but when I've done SS in the past I have lost more.

Because on SS you are getting the correct balance with a very low calorie day/s.

I'm just really confused now and disheartened:( When I saw the pink, it boosted me up because I thought it was a sign of my body burning fat for energy.

Which it is. You'll burn fat on this diet.

My reply was because you weren't getting a pink stick. I never got a pink stick, but lost 8 stone. Kind of hoping that some was fat ;)

So rejoice if you have a pink stick and doing this diet, because you are burning fat. But that doesn't mean if you are doing this diet and not getting a pink stick, you aren't losing fat.

Thank you KD:)

I was beginning to panic and think that all this sacrifice to stay in keto was'nt worth, if it just reduced hunger ever so slightly and nothing else. I'm glad it does mean I'm burning fat:) whether the stick is pink or not:)

Thanks again.

Kd that's very interesting - thanks for the info. - Brill weight loss - well done to you.

could I just ask how the Atkins works then? I remember watching some bloke on the telly a few years ago promoting the Atkins way - flogging their tapes and videos. As far as I can see Atkins is quite high in fat - low in carbs and promotes ketosis? I'm a bit puzzled now.

Kd that's very interesting - thanks for the info. - Brill weight loss - well done to you.

could I just ask how the Atkins works then? I remember watching some bloke on the telly a few years ago promoting the Atkins way - flogging their tapes and videos. As far as I can see Atkins is quite high in fat - low in carbs and promotes ketosis? I'm a bit puzzled now.

I was just thinking that, you've read my mind:)

Atkins can work because ketosis usually brings reduced hunger. If your hunger is reduced there is more chance that you'll eat less calories. If you eat less calories, you'll burn fat (assuming you have enough protein which diets tend to, especially Atkins).

Dr Atkins was revolutionary. He came up with some mighty fine ideas based on research that we know now to be a bit flawed. Great in those days, but much has been knocked on the head since.

People made too much of some of the things he said about ketosis. They put too much emphasis on it and on the sticks. He said something (I think) about not having to count calories until you had less to lose...but he never said calories don't matter. Good on Dr Atkins.

Atkins have now brought out a much more up to date version that puts less emphasis on ketosis, and has a higher carb level. It also doesn't recommend the use of stix as that misled so many people. I think Dr Atkins would approve if he knew what we know now.

But anyway. Most people do the Atkins diet with many more calories, which is why for most, Atkins weight loss is slower once the initial glycogen/water is depleted.

That's fine for them because if they enjoy that way of eating and happy with the slower losses, then...ideal.

Most people who do Cambridge, do so for faster losses, or because they prefer the ease of shakes. To get the losses we get on this diet, you have to reduce your calories to very low levels, which is unsafe without a formula designed for it.

This is all very interesting. the ketosis thing has always been confusing ... but you know what 7 1/2 weeks in on cambridge I dont even 'want' food anymore and I have to debate whether or not I am in ketosis. I havent tested for weeks by the way so I dont know if I have a pink stick or beige. I found when I ate food last week I STS, and when I didnt this week I have lost weight ... I dont feel hungry any more, and when I did eat food last week I felt full very quickly and found that the higher fat meals I had upset my stomach. Its all good on CD ... yes the money is an issue but I am not buying all the rubbish I used to buy so I guess it all balances out. So am I in ketosis ... who knows.

The upshot of all of this is that I am a happy bunny! I am getting slim, I cant wait to go shopping for new clothes and show off my new bod. I am happy to be getting heathy and fit like I used to be pre no4 child ..... I cannot put a price on my happiness ....and when I was fat and miserable I would have done anything to change that.

Stick at it onefatmama, you are in the early stages just now (like I was a few weeks ago) ... in a few weeks you will be walking on air honey.

The stix have never changed colour for me yet I have lost the weight. It used to bother me but I don't bother more.

I havn't brought any, and I only go by CDC's scales because if I used those stiks and they showed nothing, or used another set of scales that showed I'd put weight on, I'd get dis-heartened

Back