Is my calorie deficit too high?

Are you doing green days? I'm assuming yes as your veggie? In which case you don't seem to be eating your second healthy b. The healthy extras are there for a reason - you need them to assist your weight loss. I would replace some of the fruit you eat at breakfast with a healthy b, and maybe another healthy a (second a is optional but NOT second b choice). Or, cook your dinner in a tablespoon of olive oil - extra virgin is a healthy b.

Bottom line - you are going to stop loosing weight if you consistently eat less than 1200 calories a day, and you are doing your body NO favours by shorting it of essential fibre & calcium by not eating your 2nd healthy extras.

I do a mix of green, red and EE. My consultant said I don't have to use my second healthy extras if I don't want to, I do somedays (like yesterday) and some days I don't.

I don't know then..my consultant said so long as i'm having one of each I don't have to have the other two. She said I should try to have the extra B's but its not a big deal if I don't every day. I try not to eat too much of the B choices as they don't agree with me and I get sick, but do have cereal bars or wm bread most days. If my consultant tells me to start upping them then I will.

If you are doing Extra Easy you have one HEA and one HEB . If it's red and green then you have 2 of each, although I think, you can have only one HEA if you dont want to have both.

You maybe need your consultant to let you sit in on the new members talk again and give you a bit more support as you dont appear to be given the correct info.

Hope this helps x

Maybe my consultant isn't 100% sure (she pushes EE rather than green/red) but I specifically asked her if I could have just one of each healthy extra on green plan and she said it would be better if I had two, but I didn't HAVE to. So i'm going to take her advice as most of the B options make me sick, and I am a vegetarian (bordering on vegan) who dislikes most dairy so i'm not a huge fan of A choices either. I do have at least one of each healthy extra every day, and sometimes I have two of each. Yesterday for example I had 2 heA and 1 1/2 heB, today I had one heA and one heB. I do appreciate the help though thank you.

Maybe my consultant isn't 100% sure (she pushes EE rather than green/red) but I specifically asked her if I could have just one of each healthy extra on green plan and she said it would be better if I had two, but I didn't HAVE to. So i'm going to take her advice as most of the B options make me sick, and I am a vegetarian (bordering on vegan) who dislikes most dairy so i'm not a huge fan of A choices either. I do have at least one of each healthy extra every day, and sometimes I have two of each. Yesterday for example I had 2 heA and 1 1/2 heB, today I had one heA and one heB. I do appreciate the help though thank you.

You're welcome - am not trying to be a bossy boots but was just worried about what you have been told and if they make you feel sick I am sure you wouldnt want to eat them!

Consultants do tend to push the EE plan these days, but some people still prefer red and green - although I mainly do EE I sometimes do the others when I want another HEA and some cheese. Hope it sorts itself out for you xxx

Well said Paul - I have a huge appetite so it doesnt really apply to me, but on the rare week I havent eaten much, I havent lost much!

I always thought the whole point of SW was NOT having to count calories and weigh and measure everything - just trust the plan - it works just fine as it is!

If you read my original post, i do make the point that I am *not* calorie counting, i only checked my calorific intake out of interest, and days after the event. Calories are as much a part of slimming world diet as they are any other diet, its just other people have done all the working out for you, and have safeguards built in to make sure that you lose weight and still maintain what your body needs to stay healthy.

The main point is that any diet that had a regular 2,000 daily calorific deficit would be considered dangerous and unhealthy.

If you read my original post, i do make the point that I am *not* calorie counting, i only checked my calorific intake out of interest, and days after the event. Calories are as much a part of slimming world diet as they are any other diet, its just other people have done all the working out for you, and have safeguards built in to make sure that you lose weight and still maintain what your body needs to stay healthy.

The main point is that any diet that had a regular 2,000 daily calorific deficit would be considered dangerous and unhealthy.

Maybe I should have worded it differently - I meant that by doing SW you shouldnt have to think about calories as everything is there for you with the free food, healthy extras etc.
I have calorie counted in the past and was starving - I have never thought about how many I consume by doing SW but I never go hungry. x

D14 - as a fellow veggie, I just wanted to let you know that most (if not all) of the muller light yoghurts have gelatine in them to make them thicker, and therefore are not veggie :( There are loads of other free veggie yogs though - Asda do one, as do Ski, I believe.

You really should try to eat some sort of lunch mate eg i have a food flask i take to work which i have a Mugshot in (there are a number of these which are free on EE) as your body needs more than just fruit between morning and evening.

It will help you with your sports and training too as carbs give longer lasting energy than fruit which is gone almost as soon as you eat it as natural sugar is processed so easily into your body.

Complex carbs on the other hand will last a lot longer in your system meaning your metabolism wont drop down

I think you are right. I have essentially starved myself this week, without trying to. My appetite seems to have temporarily gone missing.

I lost two pounds this week (my lowest loss), but according to my calorie deficiencies it should have been more like four pounds. I got into the regular habit of eating breakfast coming on to slimming world, i need to make the positive decision to make sure i have a proper lunch, even if its only something simple like a fruit salad.

Well I have certainly eaten a lot more since... I am having lunch every day now, eating far more salad than i used to!!

The average daily amount is about 1400 calories. It very occasionally jumps up to 1800, but often hangs around 1200. There is no cheating going on, or under recording of calories. Sometimes you have to estimate, but since I am preparing my own foods I know exactly what is going into them.

This is filling me up, not leaving me short of energy, in fact I feel better now then ever and is giving me around a three to four pound a week weight loss.

When reading up on the Internet about various diets etc, one of the big warning is is about not having a deficit for more than a 1000 calories a day. But my deficit seems to be closer to 2000 a day.

To be honest I don't think I could possibly even eat 2500 calories following slimming world rules without exploding, and trust me, I'm normally a big eater.

Should I be worried? Or does the 1000 a day deficit thing not really apply to someone who is as overweight as me?

I would say it apples EVEN MORE to people such as you (and myself). Its all very well that youre losing lots now but you do have a long way to go - but what are you going to do when your losses slow down? (and they will, believe me). (No offence intended btw - this is coming from someone who started at 27st 9lb so I understand where you're coming from). If you're only eating 1200 cals a day what else are you going to cut to shift the weight?

Seriously, you need to eat more, and not only for the reasons above but also as people such a Kingleds have mentioned you cant be getting all the nutrients you need without your HEXes and at such a low calorie intake.

I use Myfitnesspal to log my food and I average around 1700-1800 a day (Im currently 18st 6lb and female). More at weekends (around 2000-2200) and never below around 1400. (This will have to go lower as I lose more).

When I started at 27st 9lb I was eating over 2000 cals a day and losing. Things started to slow a little and now I have a little less.

The other thing, as people have said is I do tend to lose more the weeks I eat more. But basically I find it best if I shake things about a bit so my body doesn't always get the same week in week out (eg the weeks when I go on holiday I tend to lose even though I have wine and treats every night; the weeks I am 100% and no higher than 1500 cals a day I often STS or only lose half or whatever).

Just stick to the plan, eat PLENTY, but of the right stuff (free/superfree, HEXes) and youll be fine, but dont starve yourself (even if it doesn't feel like 'starving' yourself) - you do need to eat to lose and remain healthy :)

I would say it apples EVEN MORE to people such as you (and myself). Its all very well that youre losing lots now but you do have a long way to go - but what are you going to do when your losses slow down? (and they will, believe me). (No offence intended btw - this is coming from someone who started at 27st 9lb so I understand where you're coming from). If you're only eating 1200 cals a day what else are you going to cut to shift the weight?

Seriously, you need to eat more, and not only for the reasons above but also as people such a Kingleds have mentioned you cant be getting all the nutrients you need without your HEXes and at such a low calorie intake.

I use Myfitnesspal to log my food and I average around 1700-1800 a day (Im currently 18st 6lb and female). More at weekends (around 2000-2200) and never below around 1400. (This will have to go lower as I lose more).

When I started at 27st 9lb I was eating over 2000 cals a day and losing. Things started to slow a little and now I have a little less.

The other thing, as people have said is I do tend to lose more the weeks I eat more. But basically I find it best if I shake things about a bit so my body doesn't always get the same week in week out (eg the weeks when I go on holiday I tend to lose even though I have wine and treats every night; the weeks I am 100% and no higher than 1500 cals a day I often STS or only lose half or whatever).

Just stick to the plan, eat PLENTY, but of the right stuff (free/superfree, HEXes) and youll be fine, but dont starve yourself (even if it doesn't feel like 'starving' yourself) - you do need to eat to lose and remain healthy :)

I am making sure i have lunch as well which pushes me into a more realistic zone. I acquired the discipline to eat breakfast every day without fail, i need to do the same for lunch.

Back