Is passata classed as superfree??

Dizzi-G

As the title says really, say you were making a spag bol, would the passata count towards your 1/3 superfree??

Thanks, J x

I count it!

It is just sieved tomatoes and tomatoes are superfree!

Amy

but orange juice is just sieved oranges.. so why is that syned?

tomatoes are fruit so why when canned are they still free but pineapple etc isn't?

Even though tomatoes are technically a fruit, it's not considered so for SW purposes.

This is due to the level of fruit sugars that oranges contain and tomatoes don't. Once blended, sieved or cooked, the chemical structure of the fruit sugars changes, and it is absorbed differently by the body (not to mention no longer as filling). With tomatoes, this does not happen, and it is therefore a free food whether it is raw or cooked

ah, thanks... I knew there must be a reason..

now... they say that fruit juices are syns, but what about vegetable juices such as carrot or tomatoe or other veg "smoothies"? ( seen them make some with things like celery, carrot, beetroot etc.. and wheetgrass...)

Hmmn, not sure about that one. I would guess probably not, because the reason they are syn free is because the water content within the whole veg helps to fill up your stomach, and takes longer to be broken down during digestion. Also, you would use a whole lot more vegetables to make juice than you would normally eat, thereby consuming a whole lot more calories. I remember a consultant once giving a woman 8 oranges to eat, and another the juice from 8 oranges to drink, to highlight the difference between how many calories you could eat/drink and the difference it had in consumption. The woman who ate the oranges only managed 3 before she was full and had approx 180 calories, whereas the woman who drank the juice had consumed approx 450 calories (based on 8 oranges) and was still hungry.

I would assume that juicing vegetables would probably mean that you're leaving behind the filling content and most of the fibre in the pulp and therefore isn't likely to still be free. When you blend vegetables for soup you're still going to be eating all the vegetable pulp, so it still fills you up.

That's what I would think anyway, just based on the SW principles. (I've been on and off this diet for too long - I've asked too many questions before in the past!!!!)

again, makes perfect sense, thank you..
so if I liquidise an orange and have that as a drink is it syn free? for that matter, is orange juice with pulp less syns than the non-pulp variety?
:)

I think with fruit as soon as you do anything to it, it becomes synned, whether it's juiced, cooked, mashed or pulped. But with Veg, it would only be if it were juiced.

The difference with fruit is how the molecules change as soon as it's broken down in any way. Veg it's more about how filling it is - so the reason SW 'crisps' aren't sin free is because the water content has been removed, which is what would fill you up.

Back