is plantain a fruit or a vegetable?

Clareel

Persistence not perfection
I've been to an african food and music festival today and had some baked plantain, it looks like a banana but has a more potato like texture.
I would say it is a vegetable but I wonder if it would need to be synned once cooked.

Any help appreciated! X

A quick google reveals it is a fruit and biologically not any different to a standard banana. So I reckon it would need synned.

I've never tried them, you'll have to let us know what they are like.

I've been to an african food and music festival today and had some baked plantain, it looks like a banana but has a more potato like texture.
I would say it is a vegetable but I wonder if it would need to be synned once cooked.

Any help appreciated! X
i adore plantain.. yum yum its a vegetable..

In the book it's under Vegetables and it's synnable:

green raw/boiled, 28g - Red 1.5; Green/EE Free
ripe, fried, 28g - Red 3.5; Green/EE 3.5

ermintrude said:
In the book it's under Vegetables and it's synnable:

green raw/boiled, 28g - Red 1.5; Green/EE Free
ripe, fried, 28g - Red 3.5; Green/EE 3.5

That depends on how its cooked though i suppose? I.e free if boiled and eated on a green or extra easy day?

I'm not sure what you mean? On Green/EE it is free whether cooked or not and on a Red it is 1.5 per ounce whether cooked or not.

I think all vegetables are like that aren't they? Its only fruit that varies depending on whether its cooked?

I'm really confused!! Is it in the same group as potatoes etc - otherwise it would be free on all plans?

I think plantain is more starchy than a banana (a bit like potatoes) and also a lot less sweet. Therefor being classed as a veg in the SW book. I think if you fry it in fry light it should still be free!?!

Thanks for the replies guys I didn't see it in the book oops. I'm on EE and as it was baked in it's skin (no oil) i'm going to assume it was free?

Not super free but my breakfast was all fruit so should be okay :)

Plantain is a vegetable not a fruit. It cannot be eaten raw and is free on green and EE but not red because its a starchy vegetable. It comes up as syns when fried because obviously fried means fried in oil. I eat it roasted quite often! Cut lengthways, spray with spray oil, s&p and roast at 200C for about 30 mins until golden brown

afa8e3e7.jpg

I'm really confused!! Is it in the same group as potatoes etc - otherwise it would be free on all plans?

Yes, it is exactly like potatoes, parsnips, sweetcorn, yams etc. It is free on a green day, not on a red day. It is not a superfree food.

Thanks honeyoc! It was gorgeous, i've seen them in tesco but never known how to cook it - will defo buy some now! X

Oh! You were at African Oye in Sefton Park! Did you enjoy it? I was there yesterday. Plantain is a fruit, but can be eaten as a savoury side dish when sliced and slow fried, turning over for an even cook in a frying pan. My Mum makes it and we all love the way she does it. It is not advised to eat raw as it can give you a bad tummy and it doesn't taste very nice raw. You can also boil it. I believe the syn values are in the book but I don't have it to hand now. Sorry I cant be of more help!

Thanks honeyoc! It was gorgeous, i've seen them in tesco but never known how to cook it - will defo buy some now! X

Plantains are the best! Just make sure to buy the ripe ones! They should be yellow. The green ones are more widely available and are not sweet, more like potatoes. Still nice though but I prefer the sweetness of ripe plantains. If you can only find green ones you can ripen at home in a dark cupboard.

Oh! You were at African Oye in Sefton Park! Did you enjoy it? I was there yesterday. Plantain is a fruit, but can be eaten as a savoury side dish when sliced and slow fried, turning over for an even cook in a frying pan. My Mum makes it and we all love the way she does it. It is not advised to eat raw as it can give you a bad tummy and it doesn't taste very nice raw. You can also boil it. I believe the syn values are in the book but I don't have it to hand now. Sorry I cant be of more help!

Yeah it was the oye festival! Had a great time, all of the food looked amazing but I thought the plantain was my best bet. I did have a cheeky nibble of the corner of a chicken pattie though hehe.

I have had plantain before in a sort of curry dish in a restaurant, but this was the whole plantain wrapped in foil and BBQ'd - man it was good!

Off to tesco today to get some :)

Back