Is slimming world for me?

Bernadette and mum

I've been doing slimming world since easter, and following plan 100% my losses or usually 1/2 a pound 0r 1 pound, with the odd time gaining 1/2 a pound or maintaining. When I say following 100% the average day would consist of:

Breakfast: 35g porridge oats, muller light yog, blueberries and 1/2 a banana.

Lunch: A grilled chicken breast, bowl of fruit salad and a muller light.

Dinner: Something like pea curry, salad and rice or diet coke chicken and rice, or slimming world chips, kfc chicken and cauliflower, something like that.

Snacks: 2 apples and a slice of melon.
Syns: a crunchie (9.5 syns)

But last week I was a lot stricter, everday eating:

Lunch: Fruit salad and a muller light.

Dinner: Fruit salad, muller light and two hifis (red day so 2 healthy extras) (2 out of seven days I had a grilled chicken breast for dinner aswell)

Syns: nougat bar (6.5 syns)

With no other snacks at all, and lost 3 pounds! So I was very pleased and thought I'd stick to that from now on. But after a few more days sticking to the stricter meal plan I just can't do it as I feel like I have no energy at all. :(

I just don't know why I'm not having bigger losses on the first plan? I see people that seem to eat even more than that and still have large losses? Does anyone have any tips or ideas for me? I'm willing to try anything!

Hi, ill give it go with suggestions, hopes this helps

Breakfast: 35g porridge oats, muller light yog, blueberries and 1/2 a banana. (Try strawberries and a wedge of melon, instead of blueberries and banana)

Lunch: A grilled chicken breast (Have a sald with the chicken and syn free coleslaw, shredded cabbage, carrots, red onion and fromage fais, add lemon, herbs and garlic if you wish), bowl of fruit salad ( 2 small oranges and blackberries) (and a muller light.

Dinner: Something like pea curry, salad and rice (very small potions of rice)or diet coke chicken and rice, or slimming world chips, kfc chicken and cauliflower, something like that. (Try different veg, carrots, broccoli, butternut squash, peas,)

Snacks: 2 apples (strawberries, blackberries, kiwi, mango, pineapple) and a slice of melon.

Dinner: Fruit salad, muller light and two hifis (red day so 2 healthy extras) (2 out of seven days I had a grilled chicken breast for dinner aswell)

Sorry if its not what u are wanting, you have alot of high sugar fruit, like apple, banana and blueberries, they make your body produce more insulin which will make your body gain weight.

Hope this helps, let me know this is ok :)

I've not got loads of experience so I'm sure others may correct me but it looks like from your firs menu that you are eating lots of fruit, and not a lot of veg. It's always better to go more heavily on the veg than the fruit. Also, maybe some more wholegrain carbs? The second menu just looks like you're starving yourself to be honest- no wonder you couldn't stick to it for long, I don't know if I'd manage a day on that! To be honest, 1 or 1/2 lb a week is fine for weight loss and within normal range. The worst thing you can do on an eating plan is compare yourself to other people. Everyone's body is different and reacts in different ways and no one is going to lose at the same rate.

I've been doing slimming world since easter, and following plan 100% my losses or usually 1/2 a pound 0r 1 pound, with the odd time gaining 1/2 a pound or maintaining. When I say following 100% the average day would consist of:

Lunch: A grilled chicken breast, bowl of fruit salad and a muller light.

Dinner: Something like pea curry, salad and rice or diet coke chicken and rice, or slimming world chips, kfc chicken and cauliflower, something like that.

Snacks: 2 apples and a slice of melon.

With no other snacks at all, and lost 3 pounds! So I was very pleased and thought I'd stick to that from now on. But after a few more days sticking to the stricter meal plan I just can't do it as I feel like I have no energy at all. :(

I just don't know why I'm not having bigger losses on the first plan? I see people that seem to eat even more than that and still have large losses? Does anyone have any tips or ideas for me? I'm willing to try anything!

Hi hun, i'm just wondering are you drinking enough fluids? The same thing happened to me when I first joined SW, although I followed the plan 100%, I was only having very small losses, so my C asked me to start writing down everything I ate (incl drinks) and she noticed straight away that I wasn't drinking enough fluids.

If not, i'd maybe suggest starting a food diary, either in a notebook or on here... I think when you have your meals in front of you, it's easy to keep track and spot where your going wrong or where you can improve, it's always helpful to get support and advice from other members too, even if they can just have a quick look over your food diary :). xxx

Hi,

Why not try and mix it up a bit? Different plans work better for different people - I never do that well on a green heavy week for example.

I agree - your second menu is definitely not enough- and if you are doing red days you should really be having more protein - prawns, lean ham etc. Not eating enough will slow your metabolism. Are you full at any point? You don't need to be stuffed but you shouldn't be hungry either!

Also try and include more veg - they will provide a broader range of nutrients and are lower in sugar than fruit. Things like celeriac, swede, butternut squash are free and really quite filling.

Having said that you are consistently loosing weight, which is brilliant! (and another thought are your occasional gains on a "star" week?) You will get to your goal weight, and that is what matters - not how quickly you get there!

I read somewhere that having dairy also helps weight loss so perhaps try having a hxb cereal with milk for your breakfast a few days a week?

Also agree with the others swap some fruit for some veg. Good luck

Hi, ill give it go with suggestions, hopes this helps

Breakfast: 35g porridge oats, muller light yog, blueberries and 1/2 a banana. (Try strawberries and a wedge of melon, instead of blueberries and banana)

Lunch: A grilled chicken breast (Have a sald with the chicken and syn free coleslaw, shredded cabbage, carrots, red onion and fromage fais, add lemon, herbs and garlic if you wish), bowl of fruit salad ( 2 small oranges and blackberries) (and a muller light.

Dinner: Something like pea curry, salad and rice (very small potions of rice)or diet coke chicken and rice, or slimming world chips, kfc chicken and cauliflower, something like that. (Try different veg, carrots, broccoli, butternut squash, peas,)

Snacks: 2 apples (strawberries, blackberries, kiwi, mango, pineapple) and a slice of melon.

Sorry if its not what u are wanting, you have alot of high sugar fruit, like apple, banana and blueberries, they make your body produce more insulin which will make your body gain weight.

Hope this helps, let me know this is ok :)

This is very helpful thanks, greeeeeat point about the fruit! Have bought in lots of oranges and strawberries now thanks xx :D Are grapes high sugar too?

Hi hun, i'm just wondering are you drinking enough fluids? The same thing happened to me when I first joined SW, although I followed the plan 100%, I was only having very small losses, so my C asked me to start writing down everything I ate (incl drinks) and she noticed straight away that I wasn't drinking enough fluids.

If not, i'd maybe suggest starting a food diary, either in a notebook or on here... I think when you have your meals in front of you, it's easy to keep track and spot where your going wrong or where you can improve, it's always helpful to get support and advice from other members too, even if they can just have a quick look over your food diary :). xxx

Deffo drinking enough fluids, running to the toilet all the time lol! I've tried a food diary before and I should probably try again but I just don't like having to obsess over it if that makes sense? Reminds too much of calorie counting which I really don't like!
Thanks for the reply xx

Hi,

Why not try and mix it up a bit? Different plans work better for different people - I never do that well on a green heavy week for example.

I agree - your second menu is definitely not enough- and if you are doing red days you should really be having more protein - prawns, lean ham etc. Not eating enough will slow your metabolism. Are you full at any point? You don't need to be stuffed but you shouldn't be hungry either!

Also try and include more veg - they will provide a broader range of nutrients and are lower in sugar than fruit. Things like celeriac, swede, butternut squash are free and really quite filling.

Having said that you are consistently loosing weight, which is brilliant! (and another thought are your occasional gains on a "star" week?) You will get to your goal weight, and that is what matters - not how quickly you get there!

Hmm, now that I think of it in recent weeks I've really never felt full, even after meals I'm always counting down the time until the next one! :/ Will definatly try more of a variety thanks

This is very helpful thanks, greeeeeat point about the fruit! Have bought in lots of oranges and strawberries now thanks xx :D Are grapes high sugar too?

So sorry I got mixed up, orange is a little high, with kiwi and pineapple, oopps, I dont know where my head was at, just read it now and i they are wrong, i have found the information that was given to me awhile ago on word, here it is, so sorry.

HIGH SUGARLOW - MODERATE SUGAR

• Plums
  • Oranges
  • Kiwifruit
  • Pears
  • Pineapple
  • Tangerines
  • Cherries
  • Grapefruit
  • Pomegranates
  • Mangoes
  • Figs
  • Banana
  • Dates
  • Raisins
  • Dried Apricots
  • Prunes

• Rhubarb
  • Raspberries
  • Blackberries
  • Cranberries
  • Strawberries
  • Casaba Melon
  • Papaya Fruit
  • Watermelon
  • Peaches
  • Nectarines
  • Blueberries
  • Cantaloupes
  • Honeydew Melon
  • Guavas

you know metal note to myself dont write to help someone out when your child is screaming and demanding naughty food when her grandparents spoilt her with sweets all day and you have said no three times. Looking back i think i was thinking bad fruit but hands where saying they were good. ugh children and there tantums, so sorry again

Last edited:
Back