Is Slimming World Online a bit of a con?

Soupy

Hi all,
Newbie here :jelous: and new to Slimming World. Just signed up a few days ago and feel that there's nothing really much on offer in terms of continuous support and interaction. I was expecting some sort of an online forum, regular emails or even a weekly online meeting but it just seems to be a case of 'here's the info and the lists- no go ahead and do it alone.'
There's no accountability like in a physical meeting and no one to discuss your progress/weaknesses with. Am I missing something? Or am I expecting too much?

You're right, I was disappointed too and it's not cheap. I think weight watchers is a lot more geared to this but I prefer the SW diet. I ended up joining a meeting.

Last edited:
I agree. It really doesn't offer much. Group meetings are great and well worth the money but if you're doing it yourself at home, the online subscription's really costly for what it is.

I have done both sw and ww and sw online is not a patch on ww. Sw really need to take some tips from ww website. It's disappointing when you pay all that money. I have cancelled my membership and I now do it from home and have just started on this forum which is very informative.

Do you think it would be a better idea to switch to a local meeting?

To be honest, it's at a very inconvenient time for me, which is why I opted for online subscription. I thought it would be a good alternative but it's just a fraction of the service. Feeling disappointed now.

Regular meetings with weigh in accountability and group support are probably the best way to go in my personal opinion. However its its difficult why not go along to a meeting once or twice to buy the books and have a consultant properly explain things to you before deciding if you think you can “go it alone” (with minimins) or not.

Do you think it would be a better idea to switch to a local meeting?

To be honest, it's at a very inconvenient time for me, which is why I opted for online subscription. I thought it would be a good alternative but it's just a fraction of the service. Feeling disappointed now.

If you are dissatisfied you should say so and ask for a refund.

They do have online Q and A sessions if you are able to take part in them. There used to be a forum many years ago but it was disbanded because it was unmoderated and wrong info was being given. I don't think we can really compare SW to WW because WW is a far larger organisation with a completely different infrastructiure x

Do you think it would be a better idea to switch to a local meeting? To be honest, it's at a very inconvenient time for me, which is why I opted for online subscription. I thought it would be a good alternative but it's just a fraction of the service. Feeling disappointed now.

If you ring SW customer services and explain that you'd like to swap to meetings, they will send you a voucher for the remaining weeks of your online subscription. I've done it and they were really helpful and nice x

You get emails every few days, and one after each weigh-in, plus various links to different features and articles on the website. They also seem to have online chats every few weeks where you can ask questions, and although I haven't taken part I've read the transcripts afterwards and picked up some useful info. I'm a recent returnee to SW so the website is useful to me at the moment but I can see it becoming of less use in future.

I'd definitely recommend the groups - the IMAGE therapy is the best thing as you don't tend to binge in the week if you're worried about gaining in front of everyone at group!

They do have online Q and A sessions if you are able to take part in them. There used to be a forum many years ago but it was disbanded because it was unmoderated and wrong info was being given. I don't think we can really compare SW to WW because WW is a far larger organisation with a completely different infrastructiure x

This is incorrect apparently.
I went to an Ops event as a lot of people have told me that I would be a great consultant (both other consultants/area managers and members of my group) so I thought I would have a nose around. The figures Slimming world gave in the meeting states they are the largest slimming organisation in the country.
They are lower profile commercially due to WW having a vast array of products and SW opting for Hi-Fi's and only supplying them to consultants. They have finally taken the initiative to make ready-meals but they should have done this a long time ago. I'm looking to approach them regarding various issues to do with online services and apps as I am able to write apps and such.

I will let you all know if anything comes of it, hopefully something will! :D

Back