Is syn-free smash pizza food abuse?

judywoody

I couldn't really find anything definite (not even in that ultra-long smash pizza thread!!)

In my mind, food abuse is if you don't use the food in a way it's intended to be used (eg couscous instead of flour, doritos made out of lasagna sheets etc.)

I am a bit divided when it comes to smash pizza. On one hand I can't see the difference between eating mashed potatoes with a vegetable sauce or as a pizza, using the mashed potatoes as a pizza base.

On the other hand I was thinking whether I am not actually using more smash for a pizza base than I would eat in one session with the sauce as....

1) I can easily eat a whole pizza made with three quarters of a bag of smash by myself (I would normally not eat three quarters of a bag if it was prepared normally)

2) Smash is usually prepared with a lot more water (which is more filling). If I pre-bake it for a pizza base, I take the water content out of it and automatically eat more.

So that's why I am a bit divided on this topic. Can anyone check with his consultant?

Sorry if I have spoiled your only hope for a syn-free pizza... :-(

Last edited:
judywoody said:
I couldn't really find anything definite (not even in that ultra-long smash pizza thread!!)

In my mind, food abuse is if you don't use the food in a way it's intended to be used (eg couscous instead of flour, doritos made out of lasagna sheets etc.)

I am a bit divided when it comes to smash pizza. On one hand I can't see the difference between eating mashed potatoes with a vegetable sauce or as a pizza, using the mashed potatoes as a pizza base.

On the other hand I was thinking whether I am not actually using more smash for a pizza base than I would eat in one session with the sauce as....

1) I can easily eat a whole pizza made with three quarters of a bag of smash by myself (I would normally not eat three quarters of a bag if it was prepared normally)

2) Smash is usually prepared with a lot more water (which is more filling). If I pre-bake it for a pizza base, I take the water content out of it and automatically eat more.

So that's why I am a bit divided on this topic. Can anyone check with his consultant?

Sorry if I have spoiled the your only hope for a syn-free pizza... :-(

No idea but u certainly raise some v interesting questions, hope we get some clarity soon. Eek.

Oh dear, just did it for the first time tonight and I have to admit, if the outcome of this question is negative I don't mind because I am definitely not going to make it again!!

Neither me nor my husband liked it. The base is crispy at first but once you put the ingredients on it it goes mushy (and I didn't use that much tomato sauce)..but I didn't like the taste either..Maybe I should just go for the Vixsters Pizza and count it as 2 HEX B...

as it is part of a meal and includes a 1/3 superfree, it should be okay. However if you started using it like this for snacks where superfree isnt included then it would probably cross over into the "food abuse" area.

But it is a good question and definately one that could do with clarification.

luckily I cant stand smash, even more so as a soggy pizza base. I tend to just use my HEb for wholewheat bread, toast it and use as a base with lots of yummy toppings.

Food abuse..:giggle:

Hmm good point.

I've only ever made a smash pizza once, but I barely made a dent in the box of smash, I doubt I even used a quarter of the box, so I don't think that would count as food abuse, particularly considering the rest of the pizza was superfree, not including the cheese which was my HeA.

Personally I prefer using a HeB Asda pitta bread as a base :D

I have never tried the smash pizza but I cannot stomach smash at all!
I used to work in a nursery and we used it at the mallable area... add water and some food colouring and it cuts great with playdough cutters! lol x

I tried Smash pizza it was OK but only in a desperate kinda way :D the OH would never have touched it :eek: If I make pizza these days I use a pitta bread as HEXB or a wrap as syns and do the syn free sauce, lo fat cheese etc as topping.

Here's me tortilla pizza:
5764207613_99910005f7_o.jpg

And here's me Smash one:
5497162232_dd1a7e31ed_o.jpg

No contest! :D

Haha this made me laugh outloud you think like me :)

I see where you're coming from :) I just know it would stall my weight loss if I didn't stick to it :(

I use muffins as a pizza base. Would rather use my hexb than eat soggy reconstituted fake potato pizza! Still if you like it and it's syn free, got for it!

I really like the smash pizza and I haven't noticed a negative effect on my losses so will keep making it unless I do.

Mine looks like a perfectly normal pizza, I think the base tastes like a potato cake.

I think it's just an individual thing, if you eat it and enjoy it and still lose weight then go for it.

If it stops you losing or you don't like it (then why make it anyway?), stop.

I guess it depends what the muffins are made of - you canmake your own wholemeal muffins

I use muffins as a pizza base. Would rather use my hexb than eat soggy reconstituted fake potato pizza! Still if you like it and it's syn free, got for it!

How on earth do you make pizza out of muffins anyway??

I guess it depends what the muffins are made of - you canmake your own wholemeal muffins

How on earth do you make pizza out of muffins anyway??

muffin pizzas are the best, me and my children make them together. they are just a whole meal muffin cut in half and add your toppings. My children love them with cheese, passata, tuna and onion :D

muffin pizzas are the best, me and my children make them together. they are just a whole meal muffin cut in half and add your toppings. My children love them with cheese, passata, tuna and onion :D

I wonder if you can bake your own savory wholemeal muffins and use pizza ingredients and bake them into it??yum yum...I think SW should introduce a new HEX B for wholemeal flour :)

I have always used a small wholemeal muffin as my HEX B, I'm sure the last time I did SW which was 4 years ago that it was fine and in fact our group leader told us about the pizzas. Things must have changed since then?!

Back