It’s always all or nothing

Liliana

Hi there
I’m new to this forum and I was wondering if anybody has got the same problem I have. Whenever I start a diet and I fail, I REALLY fail. What I mean is, if I’m not supposed to eat chocolate and I eat a tiny bit of it, I feel I’m not doing the diet properly so I immediately eat whatever I can find in my fridge, I have no will power whatsoever. I feel it’s always all or nothing with me, I either starve myself or eat until I feel physically sick, thinking I’m going to start the diet again the next day so I better eat as much as I can there and then. The problem is, it happens quite often so I end up gaining weight whenever I start a diet...

It's supposed to be very common. A big battle is not only with what you eat, but also willpower and self sabotage. I'm not an emotional eater, so for me it was just about making the changes, and having the willpower to just carry on. My mind was at complete breaking point as far as my weight was concerned when I started. Nothing was going to stop me, and it hasn't. I really had had enough. The second biggest thing was not to do anything too dramatic that I couldn't stick too. I have tried all the diets you can imagine, and I couldn't sustain the restrictions they imposed on me. I am now doing Slimming World, and the longer I have been on it, the more this has just become normal life. Nothing is banned, but just cleverly moderated. I started in September 2016, and have not lost the willpower. Yes, some weeks I might not lose anything, and when I go on holiday, I gain weight, but that's all a part of life. Make small changes, and stick to them. If you fancy some chocolate, have some. You also mention gaining weight when you diet. This happens quite often (sometimes if you have been following a restrictive plan, like low carb, VLCD's etc), or just when you have been nutritionally deficient. It balances out after a couple of weeks though.

Last edited:
Hi Tristar,
Thank you for the reply :) You’re right about having the willpower to continue. For me that’s really difficult, especially if I don’t see results straight away.
Congratulations on your weight loss, it’s truly amazing! I weighed 98kg at my highest, which was during my teenage years and when I was pregnant with my first child and I’m always scared I’m going to get to that weight again, so I’m never happy with myself. I need to work on that!

Hi there
I’m new to this forum and I was wondering if anybody has got the same problem I have. Whenever I start a diet and I fail, I REALLY fail. What I mean is, if I’m not supposed to eat chocolate and I eat a tiny bit of it, I feel I’m not doing the diet properly so I immediately eat whatever I can find in my fridge, I have no will power whatsoever. I feel it’s always all or nothing with me, I either starve myself or eat until I feel physically sick, thinking I’m going to start the diet again the next day so I better eat as much as I can there and then. The problem is, it happens quite often so I end up gaining weight whenever I start a diet...
Hi I have just joined and am exactly the same as you. Really need to change my mindset. I see your post was a few months ago so hopefully you've some advice now you can pass on.

I would suggest slimming world.

It totally changes the way you think and feel about food.

It's really helped me to get rid of the guilty feelings.x

Back