It's a marathon not a sprint!!

hail-bop81

Hello fellow forumites (is that even a word?)

I am brand new to minimins...read quite afew threads over the past few days and decided to take the plunge and go 'live'...solo slimming is super tough and I def need the support/kick up the bum!!

Firstly i have to admit i am rubbish at slimming...i've tried every one going and sadly i'm one of those that wants instant and impressive results (with minimum effort!!) Tried things like cambridge and meal replacement and whilst the effects can be good, it's not sustainable and frankly its no way to live. Stupid really, coz i've managed it (sensibly) once before (several years ago on Rosemary Conley) but have developed a bad attitude towards food over the last 12-18 months and need to sort that out!

As the title of my thread says, I trying to view weight loss as a long term thing now. If its going to work, forever, i need to start viewing food, lifestyle choices and myself in a broader sense.

Don't want to get too caught up in the senstivities, but the truth of the matter is that being overweight makes me feel rubbish so I need to make some changes...and hopefully there's afew out there that can share some useful tips and words of encouragement along the way!! Thanks in advance!!

I've always been rubbish at losing weight, I did the Cambridge diet a couple of years ago and lost 3 stone, i ended up putting it back on within a year of coming off it. I've set myself a challenge of a charity trek next year. I figured this would be the best way to motivate me to do well and at the same time raise money for charity. I have a long way to go but now I have a target in mind that will keep me focused. like your said, it's a marathon not a sprint, these no point rushing these things.
Ever thought of setting some sort of goal like maybe doing a 10K run or something?

Hi Bachey86, thanks for the reply. A charity trek sounds like a really amazing thing to be focussing on. I wish you the best for that..it'll be an awesome achievement!! I'm just as rubbish at setting myself specific goals as I am at dieting in general...I was the only bridesmaid at my bro's wedding that actually gained a stone from first to last dress fitting :-( You'd think a wedding would be enough to sort myself out but I guess i loved my food a little more than what i'd look or feel like on that day! Pretty sad now i think about it but hey ho...i think people are ony able to succesfully lose weight (long term) when they are ready and properly focussed. Hopefully i'm at that point now! We'll see i suppose!! P.S 10k run seems doable...i think there's one in september near me so i'd like to think in 3 months i'll have made a real dent in the weight loss and can move without feeling like i'm going to collapse :p Thanks for the advice!! x

Hi hail-bop

I had a BMI similar to yours when I started SW last October. I tried to lose weight on my own but never managed it. I joined SW and that gave me the motivation to change things in my life. Please have a read of my blog as I've explained all the little changes I have made to get great results and create a new healthy lifestyle. I'll be happy to chat about these things and share ideas if you are interested.

Good luck!

I started SW last sept and have lost 5st 3lb so far, i don't go to a group but find this forum great! I try to think of it as a change of eating habit that needs to stick for life rather than a diet! Its never easy and you have to expect a few ups and downs but with all the support on here you can do it. The through the stone zones are great to join as it gives you small targets and a great sense of achievment when you move down to the next group! Good luck with your journey!

Hi Slimmersally, thanks for the post. I have decided to join a class this week as I too believe this isn't something i'm likely to achieve results by myself. Of course, i'm hopeful using minimins will be of great help but if i'm being totally honest, flying solo to begin with wont get me very far....so it's going to have to be a stranger weighing me!! God i really hate that part of slimming, you'd think it'd be a good motivator but I always feel terribly ashamed...no matter what the outcome is. Anyway, thanks again for your kind words, i'll certainly have a read of your blog and will no doubt be back to pick your brain at some point. x

I started SW last sept and have lost 5st 3lb so far, i don't go to a group but find this forum great! I try to think of it as a change of eating habit that needs to stick for life rather than a diet! Its never easy and you have to expect a few ups and downs but with all the support on here you can do it. The through the stone zones are great to join as it gives you small targets and a great sense of achievment when you move down to the next group! Good luck with your journey!

Hi Brummie66....5st3lb...that is soo awesome!! Well done you!! I love hearing and reading about people's successes. For so long (when reading the mags) i used to think it was far beyond my own capabilities but speaking to genuine people on here is amazing. It's very inspiring!! Thanks for the message and i'll definitely be looking at the stone zone threads...It's so exciting...there's so much to look out for on here, i have to watch i'm not online all blinkin' night!! Thanks again, and good look yourself with whatever comes next!! x

Back