It's making me feel ill :(

Dan8317

Hey all

I been on ww for the best part of last year and got nowhere (through my own fault). I recently joined sw with a friend and she is doing really well. I on the otherhand just feel ill :( I have ibs and since starting sw I'm suffering with major flare ups, this then leads me to feel down and wanting to binge.

I suppose I'm just hoping that someone else has either gone through this and can tell me it will get better or any advice on how to cope with it would be great. I already use peppermint tea and try to avoid trigger foods but it just seems like my body does not want to agree with sw. I really don't want to go back to ww as it triggers my ocd because of all the counting.

Sorry for rambling
Dan x

Hi, I'm at a loss to see how SW would not agree with you. It's mainly based on using fresh ingredients cooked from scratch. If you avoid any foods you know to be trigger foods as you would anyway, I struggle to see why doing a healthy eating plan would affect you in any adverse way. Maybe you need to talk to your consultant and let her go through your food diaries with you, or see if your GP can see any solutions.
Best of luck.

Its not SW that's making you ill hun, its the foods you are eating. You need to identify those foods which are causing the flare ups and avoid them. There are lots of people who successfully follow Sw and have IBS. And there are so many foods we can eat freely that it shouldn't be too much of a hardship to avoid those which set it off :)

Agreed with Patchwork Puss, it's all about identifying your trigger foods and avoiding them. I have IBS and quite often daily stress can cause flareups - are you suffering from any excessive stress right now? It might have nothing to do with what you're eating. Either that or your IBS is really sensitive, in which case I would go to see your doc and discuss the possibility of medication to help manage your symptoms. SW is based on healthy eating and cooking from scratch so I'm not sure why that would cause IBS flareups in and of itself. Before trying SW, did you eat a lot of fruit/veg? If not, your body might just be getting used to all the fruit/veg you take in while on SW. Give it time, and speak to your GP x

I think a lot of people even those who don't have Ibs have problems when they first start, I know I did but I think it's just your body getting used to the change in diet and maybe more fruit & veg, I would give it a few weeks and see if it settles or keep a food diary so you can identify which foods cause a flare up?x

What is different between what you were eating before and what you eat now?
Warning TMI: I thought I had IBS and found that within a week of switching to SW, the diarrhoea had gone. I had constipation for a few weeks then upped my fibre intake and that sorted it. I don't get bloating in quite the same way. Sometimes get gas if I go off plan for a while and then come back to it, as my body has to adjust to the increase in veggies, but it goes away again.
What I'm saying is that overall SW is almost certainly a healthier diet that what you were doing before, and that includes healthier for your digestive system. It may take your body time to adjust, esp with IBS. Or it may be that there are trigger foods you need to identify.

I suffer from IBS but since starting back at SW I have noticed a huge improvement, I still get the occasional flare up but that could be caused by stress or a particular food that doesn't agree with me. I think a lot of mine was white bread :)

I am finding the same, but I feel it's my body in complete shock, as to be honest I was ashamed of what I was eating before, one example my fruit bowl would be filled and fruit would have to be binned, as I preferred trash, I do agree with above and to seek medical advice, but I just wanted to let you know it's the norm for me at present xxxx

I've only been on slimming world 2 weeks but those 2 weeks have been hell with my IBS, I need to work out whats causing it though as otherwise the diet is amazing. Best of luck x

I have IBS and have too suffered but it is a process of trial and error with your foods- also ask your doctor for Audmonal tablets, they really help!

Best of luck!

Ruth
xx

Are you me? lol.
I totally identify with the ocd counting on WW and the IBS flare-ups on SW.
I'm finding simethicone quite useful atm, and making sure there is ALWAYS a snack to hand because an empty stomach is fatal. Not raw veg though, that makes it worse.
Hope you find some relief.

Back