I've been reffered!!

I am guessing slimming tablets cost at least £5 a week on the NHS as well.
...... and the rest when I was on xenical you could get them through Boots chemist at £120 a month! So £20 for a refferal to SW in a month isn't that bad in the scheme of things.

Well done for getting referred. They don't do sw in my area but they do ww referals. If they are the same then the nhs won't be paying £5 per week - I know with the ww referral the nhs pays £35 for 12 weeks which is a lot less than an individual will pay. I think it's a great idea wether you can pay for it or not and it's far cheeper for the nhs to do this than set up their own scheme.

This seems to have ruffled a few feathers.....

We have seen so many people leave our group as they say they can't afford it any more, yet their kids are running round in desinger shoes/clothes etc and the parents smoke..... - I say that everyone's personal circumstances are different but I'm sure that some people could find that extra fiver as they will be changing the way they eat and will find that buyless readymeals/chocolate/biscuits/treats/alcohol etc.

I'm not commenting on whether it's right or wrong or that people live on ready meals/choc/booze etc, I'm just saying that some people could find the extra fiver if they really wanted too.

We are all on the same journey, lets just get there! I think I'm right in saying that you only get so many classes on referral anyway so It's not a never ending hand out!

I think that they should reduce the price of healthy eating foods, like salads and put higher taxes on junk food etc.

knowone was criticising anyone !!!!! i pay alot of tax but just because i pay out money for the nhs doesn mean i should take advantage of it , i think it's a great scheme for people who can't afford but if you can then you pay for it yourself otherwise everyone would have it paid for and what a huge drain on resources that would be. It is commendable when anyone decides to lose weight and slimming world should be available to everyone even those with limited funds but just because we can take advantage doesn't mean we should. The nhs should be setting up it's own weight loss solution not paying out money to an outside business. in any case i think this is something we may have to disagree on best of luck on your weight loss.

I have to say I totally agree. I pay a lot of tax too but wouldnt dream of expecting the NHS to pay for something that I can pay for myself. The money being given to pay for this for people who DONT need the money is coming from someones budget and could very well be depriving someone else of a service they need.

I think its a great scheme for people who cant afford it but if people can afford it then why on earth should the NHS pay it from their already stretched resources

I think that this is a touchy subject and with all topics involving religion, money etc there is always going to be people with different opinions.

cant we just leave this subject now and just get on with enjoying this forum.

i have to agree with you Tara i like coming on this forum and i'm not here to bicker about things that really we have very little control over XXX i wish everyone no matter there circumstance the best of luck with what there doing XXX

Ouch bit of a debate here eh?! - I dont think its bickering, just a healthy debate, it would be boring if we were all nice to each other hehe

Anywho, My view on this is: paying other buisnesses to help, reduces the NHS setting up its own weight loss scheme, a lot cheaper for them. (ie think of the salaries for a nurse led team/research behind it etc)
I am going to ask some questions later (in an hour exactly..eek!) about how this costs the NHS, i dont think the NHS has limited resources...just wasting a lot of money.

At the end of the day, I've paid my taxes (before being a student) and also national insurance and contributed fianancially to society, so for me this is my way of getting back what i've paid for, loosing weight is a form of healthcare, and i think the fact i've already lost a substantial amount stands me in good stead, as a nurse i'd personally much rather give the vouchers to someone who's already lost weight, and in fianancial issues.

£5 isn't a lot weekly, i can get that, i am lucky i live by myself, have no kids, but i am also living below the national minimum wage...and that £20 a month does make and break things!

I dont know how i feel and it is a moral minefield, im just very grateful to live in a country where i can acsess these sort of services for free :)

Ouch bit of a debate here eh?! - I dont think its bickering, just a healthy debate, it would be boring if we were all nice to each other hehe

I think its great that we can express our views on different things - as long as we are not saying that others are wrong for having a different view. It makes for more interesting reading getting the differing viewpoints - and, for one, I didn't even know you could get SW or WW from the NHS - so, you've educated me. :D

Back