I've just brought a Pomelo ....

Had to look up what it was, lol.

Link below; Pomelo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would just add to a fruit salad with some yoghurt and then investigate further depending on taste.

May have to go and find one :)

I bought one during the summer and I just ate it like fruit. To me it tastes yuck! It's a cross between a grapefruit and an orange both of which I like but I found it was more pith than anything. People must like it tho there always in the supermarket.

Wendy

It was 2 for £2 in Lidl - spoke to my mum and she said you shouldn't eat the pith as it makes it taste nasty! So will try for brekkie tomorrow, if I have time when I wake up to prep it!

i saw them in lidl and sainsburys. they do look like giant grapefruits and i've heard they come in a couple of colours, but i've not had the guts to try one yet. would love to hear how you get on...hopefully without too much pith!

Whatever you would do with a grapefruit. I really like them, but can't eat them any more, because I take statins and you can't have grapefruit or related fruits, or grapefruit juice because it interferes with the way the statins work.

crumbs I never ate the pith! But the fruit itself must be an 'aquired taste' one of which I have no desire to aquire lol. To many other yummy fruits to sample, avacado (too high in syns but a nice healthy treat) am also going to def try starfruit its just so expensive, and lychees which I love and....God this makes me wish I was back in South Africa where NO fruit costs the earth :( Let us know what you think of it I really hope u enjoy it maybe you can post some ideas up of how u ate it.

Wendy

Hi,
I LOVE pomelos, i can eat one by myself in one go!:eat:
Cut the top off, then slice down, like an orange, (well depends on how you peel your orange) then sort of rip the peel away from the flesh, then peel off the pith, then split the pomelo in half, take a slice or two(sometimes they are hard to peel just one slice off) then peel the skin off and just eat the "bits".
Hope i explained that right, but its very very filling and refreshing!
marea

I agree, its like across between and orange and a grapefruit and can sometimes need a little sweetner to take away the tang. They are ok, but personally I find them a bit something and nothing.

We bought some from Lidl a few weeks ago.

not my kind of thing either! x

crumbs I never ate the pith! But the fruit itself must be an 'aquired taste' one of which I have no desire to aquire lol. To many other yummy fruits to sample, avacado (too high in syns but a nice healthy treat) am also going to def try starfruit its just so expensive, and lychees which I love and....God this makes me wish I was back in South Africa where NO fruit costs the earth :( Let us know what you think of it I really hope u enjoy it maybe you can post some ideas up of how u ate it.

Wendy

I found starfruit to be a bit of a disappointment, to be honest. They look great - fantastic in a fruit salad if you slice them crossways - and smell interesting, but don't seem to taste of much. I suggest that you buy them where they sell them loose, if possible, and just buy one. That way, if you don't care for them it's not much loss!

Well, having spent 20 mins de-fruiting it and having chucked over 500g away in waste, I was somewhat disappointed!

It tastes like citrus fruit, very juicy and no nasty kick like a grapefruit (i can't stand them!) and that's about it. I have managed to get rid of 99% of the pith so haven't had the nasty tastes like others. I am just sitting here eating it as chunks.

Would be good in a fruit salad but other than that it's a bit .... nothing really! Definitely not worth the hassle of peeling, unless you can find someone else to do it for you!

I still have another to eat but once I've had that I don't think I'll bother again! My new fruit for this week is fresh figs!

Thanks Avisk that's good to know cause if you've set your mind on them being yummy it's a big disappointment. Will buy just one and try it.

Ughh figs, can't stomach them my friend had a fig tree in her garden and when they were ripe one summer we ate just about every one! Was only about 10 and don't strangely remember any after effects except that 30yrs on I still can't stand the sight of them! Don't think I'll ever get over it lol. Enjoy tho I love most fruit it's such an experience when you get good fruit, god I sound like I'm talking about chocolate!

Wendy

I love them, and figs, in fact any fruit!

If you prefer something sweeter, try an 'ugli' fruit, they are a cross between a grapefruit and a satsuma, they are lovely, but loos gross, and well... ugli!

another one is (various names) sharon fruit, persimmon, kaki, they taste a bit like dates, you can eat the skin, but it is waxy, they are mega sweet and I have instead of chocolate if I have them in and it sorts out chocolate cravings! gotta be good!

:D

Back