Just bought a kettle bell

hi bax you'l have to let me know how you get on....just checked my delivery...its not due to arrive till next week :(

I have had another go at substituting dumbells again tonight with a set of deadlifts using 1 dumbell, a set of basic swings by holding one dumbell by the plate.

A set of bent over rows using 2 dumbells, a set of squats using 2 dumbells, all done with 12kg dumbells followed by a walk to the park with my daughter.

There is some movements that cannot be duplicated by dumbells due to the shape of the kettlebells, still it gives me an idea of what to expect and while i didnt push myself any exercise is 100% better than none.

Last edited:
I've seen these on uk biggest loser program and the female trainer on there really rates them and at 20 quid there not going to break the bank or take up to much room in the house.

I'd like to get a kettlebell but have no idea what weight - I don't want to get too light...or break myself with a super heavy one! Any suggestions?

zoe.;16 86986 said:
I'd like to get a kettlebell but have no idea what weight - I don't want to get too light...or break myself with a super heavy one! Any suggestions?

It really depends on your level of strength and fitness. I started off with a 5kg cuz I've got a bad back. Most girls I know who use KB's start off with either 5kg or 8kg and work their way up

Thank you appleshape. I'm off to browse online now...btw why are you angry, if you don't mind me asking?

Bad few days at work and man troubles as usual. That and I'm totally off the diet wagon atm. :cry:

I was thinking of getting one of these too. I hope those who have them don't mind coming back and giving us their opinions and experiences. My OH would kill me if I got one and didn't find it much use.

I was thinking of getting one of these too. I hope those who have them don't mind coming back and giving us their opinions and experiences. My OH would kill me if I got one and didn't find it much use.

It took a bit of getting used to for me-I was terrified I was gonna crack myself in the head with it! I haven't picked up my dumbells since I got my KB at the beginning of the year. I'd highly recommend you get one, I've seen the most incredible results using mine

Kettle bells are beneficial for both strength and fat burning, reason being is they target your stabilising muscles more than dumbells do, although I don't believe they're a necessity and even in that I wouldn't recommend them over traditional dumbells for resistance training.

An optional addition to your plan I would say.

Also be careful whilst using them, they are made to take you off balance and you can easily injure yourself whilst using kettle bells, so be careful!

just started the kettle bell classes at work. am gonna give it a go next week.
as well as do the fitness challenge that i am in ,
good to get variety of exercise.

I love kettlebells my trainer done a session with me with them a while back and i ached for nearly a week after them i must dig mine out again and have another session with them. They are great.

So how's everyone getting on with these? I was thinking of getting one but was worried without a proper class/trainer I wouldn't get the technique right & end up injuring myself. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

I'd also like to know how everyone is getting on with the KBs. Unfortunately they're a bit expensive for me to use them at the gym with my clients.

I do understand that you can do virtually any KB exercise with a Dumbbell, but would you guys say its true that KBs are less intimidating than DBs and BBs for those who are new to free weights? (especially the ladies?)

well i just did a kettle bell class at work, today and they say even though it is similar, to DB, the range in move ment is totally differrent and thus muscles used are not worked half as much as when using a KB.

i personally think they are better in the gym esp for ladies as every gymn i've been in the men dominate the DB area.

Thanks to everyone who has replyed on this thread. I have only just started excercising and although my dumbbells are fab I have been looking for a but more of an overall workout. I found these three weeks ago but have yet to purchase one, i guess I was a bit worrid that it will be of no use to me. Now thanks to your posts I can wait to purchase one of these. thanks so much.

I saw these on the biggest loser and was intrigued! My only reservation is that I have a very low ceilings!

Back