Just ordered slim and save

G1234

Hi,
just made my first order for slim and save.

Good Luck Graham ...its a great plan and it works :) x x x

Thanks Lea,
I've started off by weighting at boots and got the following reasonably 'bad' figures:

16St 0lb (102kg) in light clothes
5'10" 1.77M
BMI 32.9
Ideal weight between 9St and 12St 2lbs.... (these machines are reluctant to give a single 'correct' weight) I'm taking that as 11St 7lbs (73Kg), based on being 10St 7lbs at age 18 and being 'skinny'

My thought was to crosscheck that with 'home' scales - looks like I need some new scales! (7lb difference).

In theory the 'male bumper pack' arrives monday. I'll let people know how it goes...

Hey graham! Good luck on your journey and make sure to keep us posted!! I always went off boots scales but it became a pain in the bum keep going everyweek so got some new scales which where more or less bob on with boots!

xxx

Welcome Graham, guys usually have great losses on VLCDs so look forward to you recording some great figures.

Thanks for your comments Stef and Borders girl,
the bumper pack arrived today. First impressions were that it's quite a small box for £150..... but, hey, I'd like to be 'quite small' too! Other surprises were a tape measure and and a measuring sheet..... So, how do I measure my 'bust size'? Joking aside, probably the only two measurements I care about are waist and tummy size.... so that's 42 and 48 inches.... more depression! On the other hand, I have taken a 'before' picture, just in case I get to take an 'after' one

I didn't realise that you had to make the meals up as well as the soups/shakes and to 'consume within 10 minutes!

So, that changes my plans a bit.... as I don't intend to 'make up' any meals at work.... looks like midday will be a bar and black coffee with 2 items before work and 2 items after.

There's a bit of confusion on the leaflet that came in the box - max 12 weeks than 2 weeks break VS website, which I'm sure said 4 weeks then a 1 week break?

I intend to use this thread for the first week of getting into the diet.... then start one diary all the way through.

Ha, I guess being a guy you won't be too bothered about bust or cup size :). Yes, all the meals are space food and need to be made up apart from the bars. I guess you could have 2 items before work but what to have? A shake and some porridge maybe? I usually make my shake up hot at work. Tip half the shake mixture (vanilla, cafe latte and caramel are nice hot) into a shaker, add 100ml of cold water, add a shot or 2 of espresso and then top up to about half a litre with hot water and stir. Drink immediately as it won't be boiling hot due to the cold water added at the start. Then repeat with the rest of the shake. You can't use a shaker to shake the drinks hot as the lid blows off. Been there done that :). If you're at home and have a blender then that works ok too.

If it's the stigma thing you're worried about at work then if you use a protein shaker you just tell people that it's a protein drink. All self respecting body builders use them :). In fact the guys who have seen me at the coffee machine with my shaker have mostly asked if it's a protein shake.

Or tip soup into a mug of hot water at lunch and stir well like a cup a soup. I'm not a particular lover of the soups but they're quite easy to make up at work too but do need a bit of stirring to blend them properly. I have my shake at about 10am, bar at lunchtime and then a meal in the evening.

NICE (National Institute of Clinical Excellence) guidelines are that you should have a break from a VLCD every 12 weeks which I believe is what S&S suggest. Some people choose to go off plan completely (that's me!), or low carb, or just up the calories a little that week to something around 1200. It's up to you essentially. There are some VLCDs where there is an 'add a meal' option every 4th week and include some low carb options for the meal (I think Exante might be like that but don't quote me). I just chose to take a complete break and planned my breaks (I've had 2 proper breaks so far) around a holiday and Xmas / New Year. My next break will be at Easter and I hope to reach goal not too long afterwards. I just have a complete break during those weeks and have whatever I want in the knowledge that I will gain 'coming out of ketosis water weight' plus any pounds gained during the break and will spend the first week starting back getting back into ketosis and to my pre break weight. If I was having a break every 4 weeks I would not do that, I'd probably low carb or something but I'm ok with gaining a bit in my 'week off' every 12 weeks.

Hope all goes well and good luck!

Hey graham glad the pack arrived ok. know what u mean about the size i was abit shocked too lol
2 before work 1 in work and 2 after can work if thats what you prefer, i deffo agree with BG a blender is great for the shakes!
And agree with BG too ive been on it 7 weeks now and dont intend to take a break, but it depends on the individual...

Good luck let us know how your first day goes! x

Thanks for all the helpful replies,
I am nearly at the end of day one and my thoughts are:

-taste was ok on all the items - strawberry shake, chocolate crispies, yoghurt bar, macaroni cheese, chocolate shake
-didnt really feel hungry - just psychological hunger in tesco's or passing millie's cookie shop!
-black coffee reduced was good.
-bought a better shaker from holland and barrett.
-not attempted any chicken or veg or any milk - just KISS - 5 items a day to start with..

Any advice on a drink you can buy in a pub? soda water? Mineral water? diet coke? .....some of our local pubs are a bit limited on choice!

rgds

Graham

Well - end of day 2 - ended up with 4 items from the diet and some sliced chicken from M&S (130G) at a service station.

2 days and 2 'learning points' for me:

> going to a pub means that I need to be sure that the pub serves something thats 'legal' - half a diet coke on day one will have slowed me down...
> day 2 included a 200 mile drive and a 6 hour meeting - no problem with oats and a shake before an early start but a 'working lunch' with my bar and more shakes in the car was not helpful...

I obviously need to work on the 'be prepared' bit. I will keep emergency coke zero and bottled water in my rucksack... and take it with me.

Otherwise good i think - perhaps a few more awkward days until i really get into the swing of it.

thanks for all he helpful comments

Hmm, well I've done the working lunch several ways now:

1. bought an Atkins shake (pre prepared) from Boots and had that. They're not MRPs but they will keep ketosis so I have them on the odd occasion where I've been caught somewhere where I can't use the shaker.
2. had a bar and nothing else (or popped to Boots and bought an Atkins Advantage bar)
3. had the protein based sandwiches, picked the protein out when no one was looking and threw the bread away.

It's not brilliantly easy sometimes but it's doable :).

The M&S chicken was fine too - you just replaced a pack with protein as per the plan. Sometimes even if you intend to stick to packs only it's nice to have a bit of flexibility. Quite a few women keep a bar in their handbag in case they're caught out without provisions. Maybe you have a briefcase or something instead? ;)

Thanks,
borders girl - advice much appreciated. Thankfully, tomorrow is just a normal day!

Sounds like your doing great graham so far, i have no advice on the working lunch as i work from home! Keep up the good work :D x

Stef,
working from home would be great! In theory, I have an employer that encourages it...... but not only do they have a desk booking system that allows them to stack more people in.... which encourages them to tell anyone who lives less than 3 miles away that they cant use the office car park..... you can get a works mobile...... but a works laptop?

Ok, random off topic winge over - I do appreciate all the helpful replies that you and everyone else has sent - it does make life easier!

Anyway, got through day 3 without any real hassles. I did have some coke zero in addition to the 5 packs - dont think that is a problem.

Just keep going until sunday, which should hopefully show some difference and will be my weekly weigh day

Ha Graham, sounds a lot like my employer :). I have managed to get a work Blackberry / laptop but they haven't encouraged us to work from home yet but I imagine that will come at some point. Actually I wouldn't mind working from home a couple of days a week but then again I find the diet easy peasy when I'm at work but more challenging at weekends so maybe it wouldn't be good for the weight loss :)

Back