Just Recipes!

How long did you cook it for lynella and what temparature.

I have a halogen oven to and wasa thinking about starting to cook atkins meals in it...as they make food taste so delicious :)

Hiya KK. Well I set timer for 35 mins at 225 degrees then I turned down to 175, then 150. Basically it was ready to eat in 15-20 mins at say 175 (I kept messin with temp as i was hungry lol).

Susie's experimental tuna mornay

- chopped onion
- 2 cans 185g tuna
- 60g butter
- 3 hardboiled eggs, chopped
- 100g grated cheese (Creamfields 0.9 carbs)
- juice of 1 lemon
- Schwartz hollandaise sauce (pack, 1.2carbs)
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard (Maille, 0.5 per tsp)

1. Saute onion in butter
2. Add all other ingredients (half the cheese) and heat through
3. Put in casserole dish and sprinkle with the rest of the cheese
4. Bake at 180 degrees for 20-30 mins.

2.6 carbs the lot and should make two meals. You can always add spinach or courgettes to bulk it out :)

German Cabbage & Mince bake

Sounds strange but is gorgeous!

500g minced pork
1 cabbage shredded and steamed
1 onion chopped
2 bay leaves
4 cloves
salt & pepper (loads)
pot creme fraiche
bacon

Fry the onion in a little lard and add the cloves and bayleaves.
Add the mince pork and fry until brown.
Add the cabbage, salt and pepper and mix well.
Pour into an ovenproof dish and top with the creme fraiche.
Put the bacon rashers on top, cover with foil and bake at gas mark 6 for 40 minutes.
Uncover and bake until bacon is crisp

Can be eaten hot or cold!

It's lush I love it :D

Homemade Sauerkraut

Definitely worth the effort even if you've hated the tinned versions. It's not too sour and full of vitamins :D

2.5 kg white cabbage shredded finely
40g salt
1 teaspoon caraway seeds + 4-5 juniper berries
OR
1 teaspoon caraway seeds + 1/2 teaspoon chopped dill
OR
just caraway seeds

a few sterilised glass jars with tight fitting lids
clingfilm

1. OK time to get dirty. Put the cabbage into a large bowl and sprinkle the salt over it. Bash it around until the juices start to flow.
2. Add the spices you're using and put into the glass jars filling up to the top and adding some of the liquid too.
Cover the tops with a little clingfilm and then screw the tops on.
3. Put on a tray and leave in a warmish room (my mate says at about 18 degrees) for a week.
4. Move them to a colder place and leave for another 2 weeks.
5. After week 3- open and enjoy.

It doesn't have to be heated up as heat kills the vitamins, but if you have to, just warm it up. Serve with- wait for it- meat:p

Yum Yum, now where can I get hold of juniper berries I wonder?

Hi Jim, I don't know if you get over to the Rag market in Brum very often but there's a lady there with a stall of the most wonderful herb mixtures and spices. I stock up on her mixed herbs and Italian mixture whenever I'm over there. I'm sure she'd do juniper berries, or, you could ask your local health shop.

Oooh, good thinking, yes I remember the place. I'll shoot off there friday I think

Really useful recipes and tips! Lifesaver for someone as rusty as me!

This may not be perfect as I still have lots to remember but maybe you all can evaluate and suggest improvements?
Yummy omlette ---

I make this to spilt with my OH

Firstly snipping a load of back bacon roughly (lean only) into a large frying pan, then as you stir fry that, add a nice quantity of chopped spring onions and thin sliced mushrooms...when it's more or less cooked add your beaten egg (usually do 4 0r 5 large ones for sharing size and I always pour it though a seive into the pan as I'm fussy) and move around the mix till most of the egg is cooked. I sometimes add seasoning mix too .. then as it sets on a lower heat, sprinkle a little grated cheddar (not huge amounts) and fold and split with the spatula into whatever portions you want.

this is soo tasty and mega filling !

Looks good, but I'd go for fatty back bacon myself. Anyone seen the 500g of Bacon offcuts for 75P at Tesco, great value and so tasty.

LOL @ Neen :)

I made this twice last week - yummy!!!

29March2011018.jpg

29March2011016.jpg

Crispy Coconut Chicken

1 C. dessicated coconut
1 Tablespoon Splenda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch strips
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 C. butter or margarine, melted

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Mix coconut, salt, pepper, splenda (if desired) and garlic powder in medium bowl. Dip chicken strips into egg, then coat with coconut mixture.

Deep fry in hot oil until golden and crispy. Or, place in a shallow baking pan. Drizzle with melted butter. Bake 25 minutes or until chicken is browned and cooked through, turning once.

Makes about 2 dozen.

I drizzled a bit of soy sauce on mine, but you could have them with a mayo dip as well. They are so yummy! I noticed how dessicated coconut had a pretty low carb count (I think it was 3g / 100g) and it comes up all crispy and crunchy.

(I'm allergic to almonds, so nut flours haven't been an option for me... but this I LOVE!)

* the white stuff in the pictures is Splenda, as I forgot to put it in the recipe when I was making it. The little bit of sweetness really works well with the coconut.

Made this last night.....but added extra pepper and garlic powder....lush!

Actually looks like breaded chicken when its made....nom!

OOOh this one I have to try. Cheers!

You're in one now - a sticky is a thread that stays permanently at the top of the forum page because people use the info in it all the time.

Susie's basic meatballs (so to speak :))

- 500g fatty mince
- 1 egg
- herbs
- splash Worcestershire sauce
- good squirt of low carb tomato sauce
- half a pack of feta, chopped into small cubes

Chuck everything into a big bowl and mix well

Form into little balls, pushing the feta into the middle, put on baking tray and bake at 200 for about 20-25 mins.

Serve on lettuce with a squirt of lemon or tomato sauce.

Elderflower champagne, Elderflower wine.

These are the Andy Hamilton Recipes that I use.

Elderflower Champagne

Similar to elderflower presse and another delicious summer drink
Ingredients

8 litres (2 gallons) water
1.25 kg (2.5 lbs/5 cups) sugar
8 large elderflower heads
4 Lemons
4 tablespoons mild white wine vinegar
Method

Boil the water and pour of the sugar to dissolve it.
Cool and add the elderflowers, juice of the two lemons, slices of the other two and the vinegar.
Cover with a cloth and leave for a day.
Strain with a fine sieve or muslin cloth, squeezing the flowers as you do to release more flavour.
Store in screw top bottles.
It will be ready in about 10 days to a fortnight and should be drunk within a month.
Elderflower wine

Ingredients

Grated rind of one lemon
500mls (1 pint) of elderflowers - to obtain this pick or shake of the elderflowers
and place into a measuring jug. Don't push them down but do shake them down. Be careful not to add any of the bitter green stems.
3.5 litres (8 pints) of boiling water
1.3kg (3 lbs) sugar Juice of one lemon
25g (Half an ounce) yeast
Method

Put lemon rind with the elderflowers and pour over boiling water
Allow to stand for 4 days, stirring occasionally.
Strain through a fine sieve or muslin cloth
Stir in sugar, lemon juice and yeast
Keep at room temperature to ferment, try not to let it go down to 18c (65f)
When you are sure all the bubbling has ceased, stir the wine and allow to settle for 3 days
Strain again carefully
Put in a demijohn (not bottles) or bucket with a lid.
After 3 months maturing, put into bottles.

Last edited:
Back