JUst started to exercise and feeling dizzy and lightheaded.

Well trying to lead a more balanced life and started to count cals and do some light exercise.

First week was fine, just did 20 mins of very light workout and felt great.

This week I started the 30 day shred, level 1.

I feel crappy, I was expecting the burn and soreness, which I have tons of, but I was not expecting the sickness, lightheadedness and dizzyness, I also feel my legs are cramping and have very sore shins.

Is this normal, I wasnt active for around 20 years, pretty much sitting on my butt all day and I really want to change, is there anything I can do to push through this?

Need some advice I really dont want to give up, but I also dont want to feel this bad either!

you might need to drink a little more water and lower the intensity a little. maybe drink some milk a little while before the exercise to help your body. worth a try.

Really struggled again today, and I must admit it was my worst effort yet :mad:, had to stop twice for 5 secs to take a quick drink during the skipping, I thought my shins and calves were going to explode.

The rest of my body really hurts, but I think in the good way, Just alittle worried about my legs.

But I will keep going until the 10 days are up for level 1 and then swap the shred out for something else for a week or two and then come back to the shred and try it again.

When people say it kicks your butt it really does!

Well trying to lead a more balanced life and started to count cals and do some light exercise.

First week was fine, just did 20 mins of very light workout and felt great.

This week I started the 30 day shred, level 1.

I feel crappy, I was expecting the burn and soreness, which I have tons of, but I was not expecting the sickness, lightheadedness and dizzyness, I also feel my legs are cramping and have very sore shins.

Is this normal, I wasnt active for around 20 years, pretty much sitting on my butt all day and I really want to change, is there anything I can do to push through this?

Need some advice I really dont want to give up, but I also dont want to feel this bad either!

Hia chrismisterx,

I rarely come on this thread area (exercise), but your post really interested me because on Wednesday I went to my local gym with my daughter to do a body balance class. It was the first time I'd done this class, but I was feeling hopeful that it would be something I could manage without ending up feeling sick by the end (this started happening a year ago), because it was slower, and involved stretching and balancing - a bit yoga-like.

I never used to have this problem (feeling nauseous), but I have come to the realisation that (for me) that it all starts going wrong when I start to do the lying down exercises.

It is nothing to do with eating or not eating before exericise, intensity of exercise (I do red hot spinning for 45 mins with no problems at all, and feel fab afterwards), drinking too little or to much water.

Soon after I started to (very carefully) raise my head to do some gentle crunches, I started feeling unwell. My neck hurt too. I stopped, sat up (left lightheaded) and just waited until the end of the class. At the end we had a five minute relaxation where I joined in an just lay 'relaxing' and breathing, in the dark (lights dimmed). At the end of that I felt well and truly ill when I got up. In fact I barely managed to get my stuff and drive straight home after, and then scampered up to my bed. Horrible.

So, no more lying down exercises for me.

My question is, do the feelings of sickness start after you do the lying down exercises? Do you feel lightheaded when you then sit or stand up?

I'd be interested to know. If anyone has any ideas about this, please do post them.

Hi Amanda - have you had your blood pressure tested recently? My mum has this problem and says it is her high blood pressure which she takes tablets for.

If anything, I would consider low blood pressure to be the problem (light-headedness, dizzy) rather than high. However I've discounted this because I can do hard workouts upright (spinning) without a problem, so I figure it must be lying down that is causing the problem.

It does seem to hit me more when I do planks or crunches, maybe I am breathing wrong, out of shape or it could be I am getting up too quickly?

Been a hard week, I am hoping next week is better!

I suffer from too much histamine production (thanks to my immune diseases) so its a fine balance trying to get a goodworkout and not kill myself.... Too much exercise can give me anaphylaxic shock, it starts with being itchy itchy itchy all over then my throat starts to close up :s

Sickness can be a sign of your blood sugars being depleted so make sure you are taking some kind of carbs at some point before your exercise, and that you aren't starving yourself. And of course make sure you aren't overdoing it. Something like shred seems a bit much for a novice... maybe try increasing your walking or doing some cardio to build up to it? x

Back