just want to cry

rugbykirsty87

Never Give Up
:sigh: I just want to cry. My body seems to want to rebel against me. I have been struggling to shift the last stone, have done the refeed for a day, as advised, and put on a 1lb. Then i went up 3lbs, (which turns out was a period), now im finished and my weight has stayed the same again.

Ive tried mixing up my diet as I thought I could have been in a diet rut, ive joined tesco diets, followed that for a week and my weights just stayed the same again (am now at 13st 3), but have managed to gain 5lbs over 4 weeks as i went down to 12 st 12 for a couple of days before going back up to 13 stone.. I just dont know what to do now.

If you were on a very low calorie diet then it will take several weeks for your body to adjust to normal eating again, and a weight gain is I think almost inevitable. Just stick to your healthy eating and exercise programme and it will come off again. And stop weighing yourself so often. It's counterproductive and messes with your head - stick to once a week a most.

thanks Circes.

i was on a 1300-1500 calories for a bit, then i stopped losing weight, so decided to up it, that didnt work, so then I went down again to 1300-1500 and i managed to drop 2lbs. Ive still been on around 1300 and it hasnt worked at all now. I swear my body just wants to rebel against me.

How about exercise? Would it be possible for you to exercise a bit more, even if it's just a bit of walking?

Ive upped my exercise now. Im doing the biggest loser DVD and now Wii fit game with the biggest loser. I do walking whenever i possibley can. I think ill end up exercising and hardley eat just to lose weight.

sorry to hear that kirsty, do you know what your bmr is? how much of a deficit is 1300 for you - it seems fairly low especally if you're active.

the same thing happened me when i was stuck at a weight and trying desperately to get under it. turns out i think i was starving myself and my metabolism slowed as a result. i don't know what to say though, redo your bmr and see if its lower at all and then measure your deficit from that. your bmr might be different now since you started your journey so recheck and see i think.

my bmr has been worked out to be 2,300 ish. Ive dropped the deficit by 500 (in the aim to lose a lb a week), and nothing worked. i did the refeed for the 12 hours, and went up a lb, and my then dropped down again in calories and nothings now happened. my bodys now being a pain as ive got used to eating the small amounts due to having problems with portian control, i sort that out I feel i may need to up my portians again. why cant weight loss be easy somtimes!!

sounds a bit like you're stressing about it and that can't do any good at all. try and forget bout it for a while but still exercise and eat healthy, i wouldn't weigh myself too often, once a week at the most. sorry if im being patronising, don't mean to be:)

No thats fine, your not being patronising at all, im just scared the rest of my weights not going to come off.

This is a pain for you isn't it. Blooming nuisance the refeed didn't appear to help. Really was worth a try though as it's usually the most successful way to deal with plateaus, or stop them happening in the first place.

I would be very surprised if you didn't carry on losing weight...just that you are having a longish plateau for some reason.

I had one like this when I did SW. 12 weeks = STS! Grrr, then dropped almost a stone in one week. It was so weird.

Scared of advising any more, but can't help be wonder if you've tried calorie cycling to see if that helps?

Hi hun, a number of things just to try???

avoid the scales more than once a week
drink 2ltrs of water a day
have 2 pieces of fruit a day
have 1 salad or a soup a day
keep up the variety in your food choices
aim for 30 mins of exercise a day
take a multi vitamin daily
eat less processed snacks

Chin up and onwards and downwards. I always find when we get complacent about food choices and eat the same things all the time our bodies get used to the foods and exact cals and hence stall. Keep at it you are going to do this!

Bren
X

KD. Your advice did help me when doing the refeed, i think my bodys just being a pain. Whats calorie Cycling?

Bren - Thanks for the advice. Thankfully I already do most, (or maybe unfortunatley, as theres nothing else I can change now!), I will add the multivitimin in though. :)

my bmr has been worked out to be 2,300 ish.!!

Do you mind me asking if you've worked that bmr out yourself? It seems a little on the high side to me.

I recall hearing somewhere - maybe on one of these obesity type programmes (Fat Families, Supersize Superskinny etc.) - that the recommended daily calories of around 2,000 calories for a woman is far too high and in actual fact most women only need 1,500-1,700.

I don't count calories as such so this is no exact science by any means, but I have always aimed to get somewhere under the 1,500 calories a day mark.

Do you mind me asking if you've worked that bmr out yourself? It seems a little on the high side to me.

I recall hearing somewhere - maybe on one of these obesity type programmes (Fat Families, Supersize Superskinny etc.) - that the recommended daily calories of around 2,000 calories for a woman is far too high and in actual fact most women only need 1,500-1,700.

I don't count calories as such so this is no exact science by any means, but I have always aimed to get somewhere under the 1,500 calories a day mark.

I haven't heard this and like Kirsty my BMR is 2300 cos of our height and activity levels. But bodies aren't machines so there is probably a wide range and this is an average.

Kirsty, sorry to hear you're struggling. I've always found you motivating and positive. It must be tough but please don't give up. Just stick at it and trust the maths: if you eat less than you use you are making an impact. I suspect you'll have a delayed reaction and it'll get going again. We need you here on the forum so keep posting.

Thankyou Judith, I appreciate your lovely kind words.
I wont give up, ive come to far to give up, and im enjoying what im like now, I just know i need to lose more for my health. My more i lose the better my PCOS will be, and the more of a healthier future i will have. I am hoping my body will now decide to play catch up with the rest of me.

Lucky cat - Thankyou for your reply. I originally worked my bmr to be 2,000 calories but then KD kindly worked out my bmr for me and came up with the bigger number. I do struggle to get in 1500 cals at the moment!

that the recommended daily calories of around 2,000 calories for a woman is far too high and in actual fact most women only need 1,500-1,700.

I do agree that 2000 is probably too high for maintenace calories generally, but that number is based on someone of a healthy weight middle age, not doing a lot...kind of the average person.

I checked with about 5 BMR calculators and Kirty's came out higher than that owing to BMI, a fair amount of exercise and her age. Remember to get a BMR calculator that either works out activity levels, or use the benedict harris formula at the end.

Apart from that, just say that Kirsty's AMR (as opposed to BMR) which would make more sense, is 1600, then the amount she is eating, over the last few weeks, would have still given a 'logical' weight loss.

Reducing to 1300/1500 is fine..and should give fat loss if Kirsty lived in a test tube;) Unfortunately weight along with various hormone changes and water etc can make scale watch very stressful. Long plateaus are not uncommon after dieting for a long time. Annoying yes, but it happens :(

hiya kirsty, any change? it must be so frustrating to not be losing even though you should be. suppose its like a previous poster says it's not just calories in vs calories out and there's lots of other things to take into consideration - type of food, starvation mode, exercise etc. etc.

anyway hope its good news you have for us:)

Hiya, my offical weigh day is Friday.. so i have loads of fingers and toes crossed ive lost somthing this week. i even went running this week, so im hoping somthings kicked in! x

Thanks for asking x

Hi Kirsty, oh god I really feel for you and know just how you are feeling as I myself have hit that brick wall too! it is so frustrating. I have lost 2 and a half stone and weigh 13 stone 4 and have done since the end of February. I had a week off the diet for the first week of March, that didnt help then I changed my diet from eating about a 1000 calories with no excercise to slimming world doing more excercise but so far, nothing! I am so frustrated. I have walk run this week twice and plan to go to swimming baths tomorrow night, I have never been so motivated so this is a right old kick in the teeth. fingers crossed for you for friday. it is funny also my friend is on ww and she is 13 stone 4 and she has plateaued for the last 5 weeks, she already lost 3 stone. it must just be unlucky 13!!!

oh well good luck with it tomorrow:) great to hear about the running!! well done:) theres a c25k program that might help you stick with it. (couch to 5k). here is the link and it sort of stops people jumping in too quick and subconsciously losing interest cos its so tough:)

Cool Running :: The Couch-to-5K Running Plan

hope it helps:) i tried it a few times over the years and found it great. running comes as a huge chore to me!!

karen, i'd say it just a matter of upping the exercise towards the end, most people plateau when they get nearer their goals and the same diet/exercise combination that got them there doesn't seem to cut it. i wouldn't lower my calories any but thats just me. 1000 seems way low but the swimming, walking and running seems like a great idea - but remember you have to eat the extra calories to exercise or else you're metabolism will slow right down. i know it doesn't make sense, well maybe it might now that you're not losing:) good luck with it:)

Back