Just want to lose a few pounds

Vetlet

Hi everyone,

I'm new to MiniMins, so I thought I'd introduce myself and see if I can find some like-minded dieters :). Basically, I'm not medically overweight (my BMI is in the upper half of the "normal" category") but I have put weight on over the last couple of years, and I'd like to have a few less bulges than I currently have! So I only need to lose a few pounds to half a stone max to be back to a shape I'm happy with. However, I've found it very difficult to shave off the relatively small amount of fat I've gained just by generally eating healthily and trying to be active. So I think I need to start a more strict diet to reach my goal. I don't have a set of scales, but as my goal is mainly about looks I'm just going to go by my body measurements.

Some people I know seemed shocked when I told them I'm starting on a diet, because they don't think I need to lose any weight. But this is about me having confidence in myself, and my thinking is that if I used to be thinner, there's no reason why I shouldn't be that way again, and I certainly don't see the point in waiting until I'm officially "fat" to start losing weight. I'm not going to do anything drastic, just watch my calories and eat a healthy balanced diet. I'll try and up my exercise too once I've got the hang of my diet.

Anyway, I'm hoping there's some other people out there in a similar situation to me - either almost at their weight target or starting at a lowish weight. If there's a thread on this already someone please point me in the right direction :)

Hi there,

I fully understand. I have a stone to lose having always been slim. I feel though massive and yucky. I have 9 weeks to my holiday and WILL lose a stone. Do you want to join me? People are shocked but they don't see me naked and I am now in size 16 clothes when I normally take an 8 to 10,

Liz xx

Hey Liz,

Yeah, let's help each other do this! :) I've heard that it can be really tough losing weight when you don't have much to lose, but I'm really determined to do it and it sounds like you are too. I'm thinking I might finally buy a set of scales, just so that I can keep track of my progress better and set myself an official target. I know my target date though - 15 weeks until I go on holiday. I'd love to be able to wear my swimsuit on the beach in confidence when I go. I started dieting on Saturday, so I'm almost at the end of week 1 (yay me!). I'm eating 1200 calories a day and I'm going to start upping my activity levels next week (thought I'd get a hang of the diet first before stressing over exercise). What's your action plan?

Hiya,

You have plenty of time and we can sure do this together....we can do this together so let's go for that.

It's my first day today .

I would advise you to buy some scales and do a weekly check in.
I bought some that cost only £ 11.99 including postage from Amazon 3 weeks ago. They are normally £34.99 and I got lucky and they were on offer. Have a look there. They do your wt, body fat, bmi and body water. Sounds daft but you know when you plateau and think whats the point, well the scales keep you on track as show ounces even and body fat and bmi changes so you know something is happening . Does make you keep going.

*Snip*

Are you doing a diet plan or your own thing?

Liz x

Lizx

Last edited by a moderator:
hi Vetlet....there is a typo error that I didn't type and tried to edit but couldn't. Any way scales were £ 11.99. Ignore hash sign and 3 digit number lol

Liz

Lizx

It did it again. Scales were eleven pounds and ninety nine pence but original price was thirty four pounds and ninety nine pence.

Here's hoping you can understand.

Liz x

Lizx

I found a set of digital scales for 7.99 in B&M today (bargain!!). I weighed myself and worked out my BMI (21.6). I reckon if I aim to get down to a BMI of 20.5, that should hopefully be enough to get the trimmer figure I'm after :) what do you think? That would mean losing 2.8kg or 6 pounds. I'm using "my fitness pal" - a free website which works out your calories for you and allows you to make an online food diary etc. I can't really afford any diet plans being a student, which is a shame because that would probably be so much easier! According to that, I need to have 1500 calories a day, a bit more than the 1200 I've been having so far. I'm going to change to 1500 now, as I know having too few calories can actually make your weight loss more difficult.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back