Keratosis Pilaris overdrive since SW?!

feistyfluxy

Since going on SW, I've noticed my keratosis pilaris on my upper arms have gotten terrible. They were manageable and hardly existed as I treated them, but now they've spread and are really, really visible to the point they look like rash!
I suspect this might be the case of my diet has restricted the good fats, and this may have cause my skin to react this way? I exfoliate and moisturise which used to help, but now it's just not working anymore.
Any comments, experience or advice is highly welcome!

Are they the little red lumps you get on the tops of your arms? I used to have them terrible and was so self conscious about them. I asked my GP and he said they are really aggravated by dehydration so I upped my water intake (now drink at least 2 litres per day) and they have completely gone!

I don't know if it was the water or the weight loss that did it though.

Hope you find a solution X

What have cut out of your diet?
Try having avocado for some of your syns, use extra virgin olive oil as a B choice and eat salmon for free.
You can still have your good fats :)

Hope it gets manageable again soon.

I've just looked it up and I have them too never had them diagnosed, I've noticed they get worse in winter, mine are bad at the mo, because the shower is set hotter than normal. I use exfoliater and lashings of body lotion

I try to drink as much water as possible, although I know now as the weather has gotten colder I am not drinking as much as I used to. Also, there is very little good fats in my diet, if any - I stick to my fry light which isn't exactly the good fats I need. Suppose I should introduce foods that have good fats, like mentioned earlier with avocado, olive oil etc.

They've gotten so bad that even my husband was wondering what that weird rash on my arms were, so got a bit paranoid, and the worse is when they are really bumpy, I start picking them!! Argh, so frustrating!

I agree with Shirleen - mine get worse in the winter. I think I also don't notice them as much in summer because they show up less when you have a suntan!

Mine only get better, really, when I'm really conscientious about exfoliating and moisturising.

Why not use a HEB on olive oil? It even better eat some lovely free oily fish?
Tinned sardines are fab in a salad or stirred gently into hot new potatoes and spring onions.
Or grilled fresh mackerel which is a lovely fish with roasted peppers, carrots and BNS

Or some kippers for breakfast!

No syns needed!

I was thinking about this whilst watching The British Food Revival re run with Richard Corrigan talking about mackerel. Why am I not eating mackerel, I love the stuff! Possibly because my husband hates oily fish, but that is an excellent idea...

Funny how I couldn't figure out a way to incorporate the good fats in my diet - fat free isn't what I should be aiming for. :)

feistyfluxy said:
I was thinking about this whilst watching The British Food Revival re run with Richard Corrigan talking about mackerel. Why am I not eating mackerel, I love the stuff! Possibly because my husband hates oily fish, but that is an excellent idea...

Funny how I couldn't figure out a way to incorporate the good fats in my diet - fat free isn't what I should be aiming for. :)

I watched that, reminded me of my family in Galway who fill their freezer with Mackerel from the bay! My uncle will get a call to say the mackerel are running and my aunt will start clearing a space and in an afternoon the freezer is overflowing!
Free food at it's best!

I have keratosis Pilaris and years ago I watched a programme called the diet doctors. They recommended omega 3,6 &9 tablets. I started taking them and very quickly it disappeared to almost nothing. Exfoliating & moisturising helps. I don't take them anymore and don't know about possible syn content but maybe worth a try? X

I watched that, reminded me of my family in Galway who fill their freezer with Mackerel from the bay! My uncle will get a call to say the mackerel are running and my aunt will start clearing a space and in an afternoon the freezer is overflowing!
Free food at it's best!
That sounds like heaven to me, a freezer full of mackerel! I'm Swedish so we love our oily fish.

I did a bit of research online about keratosis pilaris and the theme of EFA deficiency (essential fatty acids) seemed to pop up ever so often. This definitely seems to be the case, so oily fish, EV olive oil and hempseed oil shall have to be a part of my diet now. :)

I suffer with this and have done all my life. I went to the doctors and he gave me a prescription for aqueas cream and it didnt work. The only thing I have found that worked for me was Olays Ribbon body wash, but it's been discontinued now :( but this thread has really helped me.. If someone could find/ask about syn values in the omega supplements I would be very greatful!

x

Hey Jodieboo! I checked online, and a tsp of oil of any sort, whether olive, flaxseed, hemp, primrose etc will be 2 syns. I'm looking into hemp protein myself, as 30g is 110 cals if you use Good Hemp and you get omega 3, 6 and 9 plus GLA, so will provide the lot easily. I was thinking of mixing it into yoghurts, etc.

Back