Ketosis :-/

fattygirl

Hey everyone,

Just a quick question during the week of the diet I have been having on and off headaches( which I know is probably down to carb withdrawal) however the hunger aspect hasn't really been there. So I figure I'm in ketosis, not really suffering bad breath asked my friend....lol anyhow when I do my nightshift tonight I'm gonna grab a stick and test to satisfy my curiosity.

I have not been totally strict on my veg amount because haven't got scales at home and I've pretty much been having omelettes everyday I did try the spicy spaghetti and surprised I liked it.

Just wondering has anyone lost a good amount of weight like 4/5 lbs tested and found out that keto sticks didn't go really dark or that they weren't in ketosis at all. Just curious as in all fairness don't really feel like I'm in ketosis xx

Hi,

This is my 3rd time doing a VLCD and I know I've been in ketosis each time cause I've always had all the tell take signs of no hunger & metallic taste etc but I've never ever had a positive test!!. I used to get quite disheartened but apparently the tests are not reliable to detect ketosis and don't work for everyone so try it but don't be too disappointed if its negative it doesn't really mean anything x

Thanks Hun!! I did test at work and it was fairly dark so I guess I'm in ketosis :) however not gonna get hooked on the sticks just gonna keep on going!! :) xxx

That's great it gives you that extra bit of reassurance that it's working :)

I've never had a positive test but each time ive done the diet ive lost 2-4lbs a week so I know I must be or my loses would be much smaller so I try and not put too much weight on the tests x

The tests can vary in colour depending on how hydrated you are so if you test in the morning it could be darker than testing later after drinking & peeing out ketones/diluting the ketones

Start 10st 11.4lbs
Goal weight 9st 3lbs
Ultimate goal weight 8st 10lbs

I just tried again with my first pee of the day (Day 7) which was strong and still nothing :(.

I'm wondering if everyone goes into ketosis on 70g of carbs or if some people are lower? Atkins starts people off on 25g of carbs then uses 50g as a guide to stay in so maybe 70g is just too high for some people.

Tracyx

Last edited:
Hi Hun,

maybe it depends how much of a carb bandit you were before the diet....I was really baaaad!! And also how much fat stores there are to use up I've got major jiggly bits!!...lol I wouldn't worry too much about it not sure how much carbs I think it's roughly 50/60g. I tested quite late with really weak urine and it was darker than I imagined! Give it a couple more days then email slim and save but if your still losing then I wouldn't be too worried x

I'm going to keep an eye on things and see what happens, I started S&S a few months back and lost on weeks 1 & 2 then It all just stopped, so after 6wks of no losses I gave up.

Now months on my weight is creeping up so I'm back to try again but im just wondering now if carbs was the issue all along, maybe 70g is just too much for me x

maybe try going down if you can, to 60grms and see if it makes a difference!! You never no it might do there's no point doing the diet and get the same results as if you were eating normally with exercise. I'd give it a couple more days and reduce the carb intake and see if that helps!

Are you having any decaf/caffeinated tea and coffee and coke zero and ribena plus?? Xx

Hi guys, when I spoke to ladies at SnS they said not to use ketostix because we drink quite a bit if water, washes most if ketones out of system. Best indicator is metallic taste n lack of hunger.

As for the amount if carbs, I stalled when I had anywhere near the 20g allowed on Atkins induction so would always have a tiny amount with each meal (like 30g of spinach, so 90g per day max).

Good luck! x

I eat a low carb diet so I always go into ketosis on 2nd day of this diet. (3rd time). Some take several days before ketosis. I get that metallic taste & no hunger at all. I've done the strips & they vary through the day depending on the amount of water. If there's a slight pink tinge you're in ketosis. It's just watered down in your system due to water consumption. If you're getting hunger pangs, headaches etc, you're not in ketosis. Hope this helps. X

Well I decided to try out the theory by lowering my carbs over the last 2 days and this morning I had my first positive test, it was faint but still positive so now I'm left wondering if this was just coincidence or if 70g of carbs is too high for me to stay in ketosis?, so I'm going to try and keep them lower for this week and see if the sticks stay positive then go back to 4 packs and see what happens.

Obviously if I go back to 4 packs and the tests go back to negative then I've got my answer.

Most of the literature I have read today says that most people need to stay under 50g a day to maintain ketosis and some even 30g so it wouldnt be a shock if 70g was too much x

Last edited:
Hiya Tracey

well a positive even the slightest change in colour gives you some kinda answer which is good because then you know you'll be definitely using up fat stores resulting in weightloss. :)

So this week what have you been doing regarding food packs I don't know why but I thought u were doing 3 packs and a meal?? And possibly your meal contained to much carbs and that is why ketosis was not really happening for you Hun or have u just been using 4 packs all along x

Hiya,

No I've been doing just 4 packs + milk, no food at all not even veg but I've felt rotten all week and the tests have been neg every day. Then I changed to 3 packs + milk + a very low carb salad and today im feeling much better and the test was positive :).

Obviously my weigh-in was today and I lost 8lbs so im not going to change anything drastic and just wait and see what happens next week.

I still think 4 + milk is too much for me so I'll either stick to 3 + a low carb meal or maybe alternate the two, but im going to keep a note of what im eating then wait and see what happens.

Tracyx

Oh its so good your feeling better! Anything that marks you feel better is more sustainable in the long run! Well like you said no rash decisions but 8lbs is blooming amazing so you must be really pleased with that after a tough week! Just onwards and upwards for the both of us Hun! X

Just a quick update, in the last few hours I've drank a cup of decaf tea, a can of Dr Pepper Zero and a 750ml bottle of water so my pee should be well watered down but i just did a random test and it's still the darkest it's ever been so i think what I'll do now is just start keeping a diary of everything i eat, trying different variations of packs and low carbs meals then if the tests go back to being negative I should be able to spot the problem x

Last edited:
I find that when I do 3 packs + a meal I have less carbs and calories than when I do 4 packs. I don't know why, but think it makes me deeper in ketosis than 4 packs. But my losses are still lovely as I usually mix it up during the week depending on my day. I have found that over the last nine weeks I've slipped out of ketosis for no reason when I'm being 100% and slipped back in. Think our bodies have a mind of their own sometimes and like to do their own thing!! Lol xx

Back