KFC Chicken done the SW way

This is a firm favourite in our household - infact just had it for tea! I don't boil the chicken, instead I buy skinless and boneless chicken thighs, dip in the paste then roll in breadcumbs and place on a baking tray with a couple of sprays of Frylight and then bake for 45mins or until golden brown on 190/200c - the thighs are so moist and yummy! x

I just took a rabbit out of the freezer, might segment it and try this recipe as a coating, using the couscous, will be tomorrow after it's defrosted fully. Would go very nicely with sweet potato wedges.

Will report back when I've done it.

I made this last night. I didn't poach the chicken first either, as I was using skinless breasts, so thought there was no need. Perhaps that's just there to make it easier to get the skin off?

After reading through the thread, I decided to use less bovril, which I think was the right decision - you could taste it, but it wasn't overpowering. Next time I would add a touch more chilli, as I like it spicy!

Did my breadcrumbs in my kenwood mini blender/processor. Just put the bread straight in (nimble brown) without toasting. Would highly recommend the mini blender to anyone, it does anything from garlic to herbs to bread to onions. Yay! - onions without tears!

I'm going to try making this next week, but not sure what works best - as in the recipe mixing paste,egg and spices and then into breadcrumbs or just mixing spices in with the breadcrumbs? Has anyone tried it both ways and which was best?
Mel

Can you leave the chicken breasts whole or do you have to cut them into strips?

i did this and it turned out nice, next time i wouldnt use as much mixed spice though cause it overpowered it x

finally found chick bovril at morrisons only bought one jar should have bought more.

just made my first batch changed the recipe a bit left out mixed spice it just didn't feel right and used paxo breadcrumbs and chicken breast. Made 10 fillets at 1 syn each. just tried one hot but taking the rest to work for tea later with coleslaw and salad.

this is going to be a regular meal for me now.

:bliss:

My version of KFC chicken - with pics!! Nom nom nom

Someone messaged me before my hols about my KFC chicken and I didnt get the chance to answer - apparently mine looked goooood!:p
So here is a mini guide

Chicken fillets -I use the Asda smart price pack with 3 large fillets in.
2 eggs mixed with Season all and Aromat + salt and pepper - no measurements, just sling some in.
4 slices WW wholemeal brown bread (2 count as my HEXB - rest for hubby)

You can add chicken bovril to the egg mix but I find it too salty and impossible to get a hold of!

Slice the fillets length ways, mix the spices with 2 eggs and blitz the bread into crumbs

Then dip each strip in egg mix then crumbs and pop on a baking tray

Spray a little fry light on top and pop in the oven on 160 for 30-ish mins - Bobs your uncle ( he is mine actually!)

Im adding some pics as help but they arent bloddy downloading arrrgghhhhh!!:mad:

Hi I am new, i have just this minute made the Syn free KFC and is waiting for them to go in the oven, i will report back! Well done on your weight loss btw!

Donna x

I made this yesterday and thought it was great, not too much like kfc but i thought it was yum now one of my favourite sw meals :) definatley worth a go

Can't wait to try this! Might try it tomorrow, if not definitely next week.

too much pepper for my taste will try change it abit next time

I couldn't get hold of Chicken Bovril but found a jar of concentrated chicken stock in M&S so I am hoping that will be a good substitute. I've had a taste of it and I think it will be.

I have beef bovril too so I am going to do half with chicken stock and half with beef bovril and see what happens. Will report back.

Hi hun, chicken bovril is free so it may be worth checking your substitute just to make sure that it's free too, or syn it out x

As Promised my report on syn free kfc. I made 3 chicken breasts and cut them on a slant once they had cooked, then diped them. Hubby and I loved this recipe, i thought the spicy-nes was just right! My DD who is 9 tried it (she doesn't do spicy) and she enjoyed it also. Will definately do this again!

Hi hun, chicken bovril is free so it may be worth checking your substitute just to make sure that it's free too, or syn it out x

Good point I didn't think about the syns for some reason... I don't live in the UK so it was the best I could find to substitute.

My recipe is slightly different as you just brush the bovril over the chicken and then dip in spicy bread crumbs so no egg/bovril mixture. So I thinking about it I used so little I might 'forget' about it LOL

Anyway... it tastes lovely... worked really well and is a keeper.

How many syns would that be?

I am very intrigued by this recipe - definitely going to give it a go for tea tonight!!!

Back