KFC Chicken done the SW way

I ended up making this again last night!!! :ashamed0005:

Was going to a party tea at mils, and when I spoke to her in the daytime, she said she had bought a load of southern fried chicken, and there was no way I could go and not have some, so I decided to make some of my own fat free version and take it with me!! More people wanted mine than they did hers!! hehe!!;)

LorraineM said:
Boiling makes the meat lovely and moist, which you wont get if you have to leave it in the oven for longer imo!

Ok, will try boiling next time. Must admit, some of the breadcrumbs were a little 'crunchy!' Because of the time needed to cook the drumsticks. Still amazing tho!

Ok, will try boiling next time. Must admit, some of the breadcrumbs were a little 'crunchy!' Because of the time needed to cook the drumsticks. Still amazing tho!

Dont forget to spray them with frylight halfway through, I find this helps too x

Sounds lovely, but seems like an AWFUL lot of effort to me!!!! lol

yep that was what i was thinking but i need a kfc fix so i may just try this as syn free KFC sounds too good to be true!

yep that was what i was thinking but i need a kfc fix so i may just try this as syn free KFC sounds too good to be true!

The first time i made it, it was a faff, but it was so good that the second time I made it, i was a lot faster and it was worth it x

I have been considering this recipe for a while but have been too lazy to do them. But tonight I made the plunge and actually made 16 drumsticks worth lol!!
I used a small jar of the chicken bovril paste with the egg and all the extra's on the recipe (bar the mixed spices which I forgot to buy) and the mixture was enough for the 16 drummers. I needed 5 slices bread for the 16.
Was impressed at how easily the skin comes off after boiling them. Once the coated chicken was on the tray I sprayed them with frylight and put them in the oven for 15 mins.
They were delicious, my husband loved them too.
I would agree with other people that the chicken bovril can be overpowering as on one I had coated a bit too much on. My opinion is they are best if they are just brushed enough for the breadcrumbs to stick.
Will defo make them again, much less hassle that I thought and well worth the effort. Nicer than KFC in my opinion. Oh and I served them with a chunky homemade coleslaw. :D

I have been to 8 shops today and no chicken bovril which is a bummer as i have boiled the chicken. I have 1 teaspoon of chick bovril left and have bought a knorr chicken stock pot - wonder if this will work?

iaimtobethin said:
I have been to 8 shops today and no chicken bovril which is a bummer as i have boiled the chicken. I have 1 teaspoon of chick bovril left and have bought a knorr chicken stock pot - wonder if this will work?

The only place I can get it is morrisons.

i used a chicken oxo mixed with a little bit of water it worked well, it was good just had a SW kfc style burger on a brown bun with chips and salad was lush! id say better than kfc as it wasnt so greasy :)

Kfc the slimming world way without chicken bovril

I adapted the recipe as we found the recipe made with chicken bovril so salty.

We like this better, we tend to cut a breast into strips.

KFC THE SLIMMING WORLD WAY

10 x Chicken Drummers or 4 Chicken Breasts
2 x chicken oxo cubes
1 x Egg
1 x Clove of Garlic crushed (optional if you dont like garlic)
2 x Teaspoons of Ground Black Pepper (optional)
2 x Teaspoons of Mixed Spice (optional)
1 x Teaspoon of mild chilli powder (optional)
4 x Slices brown bread
2 x Teaspoons mixed herbes

Method
Place chicken drummers/chicken breasts in a deep pan fill with water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 30 mins. Drain and leave to cool. When cool remove the skin and pat dry. Cut chicken breasts into strips.

Place the bread and mixed herbes and chicken oxo cubes crushed garlic, pepper, spice and chilli into a food processor and blend until crumbled and empty onto a large dish. Mix the egg in a separate bowl.

Now for the fun bit, but before you start switch on the oven to its highest setting and have a baking tray sprayed with fry light on stand by.

Now dip the chicken in the egg and then cover with breadcrumb mixture.

Place the chicken in the oven and cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until the breadcrumbs have started to go brown and crisp. Remove and leave to cool. Once cool transfer to a serving plate.

Enjoy!

crazyladyuk1 said:
I adapted the recipe as we found the recipe made with chicken bovril so salty.

We like this better, we tend to cut a breast into strips.

KFC THE SLIMMING WORLD WAY

10 x Chicken Drummers or 4 Chicken Breasts
2 x chicken oxo cubes
1 x Egg
1 x Clove of Garlic crushed (optional if you dont like garlic)
2 x Teaspoons of Ground Black Pepper (optional)
2 x Teaspoons of Mixed Spice (optional)
1 x Teaspoon of mild chilli powder (optional)
4 x Slices brown bread
2 x Teaspoons mixed herbes

Method
Place chicken drummers/chicken breasts in a deep pan fill with water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 30 mins. Drain and leave to cool. When cool remove the skin and pat dry. Cut chicken breasts into strips.

Place the bread and mixed herbes and chicken oxo cubes crushed garlic, pepper, spice and chilli into a food processor and blend until crumbled and empty onto a large dish. Mix the egg in a separate bowl.

Now for the fun bit, but before you start switch on the oven to its highest setting and have a baking tray sprayed with fry light on stand by.

Now dip the chicken in the egg and then cover with breadcrumb mixture.

Place the chicken in the oven and cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until the breadcrumbs have started to go brown and crisp. Remove and leave to cool. Once cool transfer to a serving plate.

Enjoy!

Ooo will give this a go and possibly try using plain cous cous instead of bread saving the heb ... It's worth a try ... But won't put cous cous through blender as you may have to syn it ? ;) x

Back