KFC Chicken done the SW way

I can't wait to try this recipe, I think it's the one I'm the most excited about! Thank you for sharing.

WOW I'll definitely be trying this one! Thank you!

We were told to do it differently at slimming club,she said get a packet of smash, mix it with a bit off Chinese five spice,cut your chicken breast into strips coat with the egg and smash mixture then bake in the oven till cooked! Not tried it yet goin to do that tonight

We were told to do it differently at slimming club,she said get a packet of smash, mix it with a bit off Chinese five spice,cut your chicken breast into strips coat with the egg and smash mixture then bake in the oven till cooked! Not tried it yet goin to do that tonight

Still sounds yummy! And syn free on extra easy and you can save He x

Girly said:
Still sounds yummy! And syn free on extra easy and you can save He x

True. But not good for that do Original as the smash would be subbed :) plus, the idea of smash anything generally puts me off haha!

True. But not good for that do Original as the smash would be subbed :) plus, the idea of smash anything generally puts me off haha!

I knw i have tried to stay away from smash too lol, not the best! but saves using my extra as I normally use these for breaky or snacks so will prob try both ways x

I cooked this for tea this evening, Not sure if I somehow did something wrong or its just the way it is as it was still fantastic!!

I could not get the mixture to stick to the chicken, all it wanted to do was stick to my fingers so all I could do really was put tea spoons on the top and then 5 minutes later turn the chicken over and put it on the other side of the chicken!!
Anyone else had this problem?
As I am typing just thought maybe I should have properly dried the chicken after taking it out of the water!!
Oh and anyone saying its a lot of work, Its not really if you have a food processor!!

t11cky said:
I cooked this for tea this evening, Not sure if I somehow did something wrong or its just the way it is as it was still fantastic!!

I could not get the mixture to stick to the chicken, all it wanted to do was stick to my fingers so all I could do really was put tea spoons on the top and then 5 minutes later turn the chicken over and put it on the other side of the chicken!!
Anyone else had this problem?
As I am typing just thought maybe I should have properly dried the chicken after taking it out of the water!!
Oh and anyone saying its a lot of work, Its not really if you have a food processor!!

I suppose it could be to do with the chicken being wet but as I never do anything other than breast I don't even bother boiling mine. I just cut the breast into strips and then coat them. In the oven for 15 mins and bingo!

Made this tonight! I was really impressed.

We cut the breasts up into strips and just coated and cooked them from raw. We accidentally overcooked them a little (need to be a bit more focused on the timings next time!) but they were delicious. Next time I'd probably use less Bovril (really had no need for a full jar IMO, and we had 4 breasts cut into thin goujons) and a bit less mixed spice, but it was lovely and a great way to use a HExB :)

Made this tonight! I was really impressed.

We cut the breasts up into strips and just coated and cooked them from raw. We accidentally overcooked them a little (need to be a bit more focused on the timings next time!) but they were delicious. Next time I'd probably use less Bovril (really had no need for a full jar IMO, and we had 4 breasts cut into thin goujons) and a bit less mixed spice, but it was lovely and a great way to use a HExB :)
Did all the seasoning mix stick to the raw chicken??

Did all the seasoning mix stick to the raw chicken??

Yep. Too much of it, in fact. We ended up tipping the whole bovril/egg mixture over the big pile of cut up chicken, rubbing it in with our hands and then holding each peice up and wiping off the excess before we rolled it in breadcrumbs, so there was only a relatively thin coating of bovril/egg/spices before breadcrumbs were added. Didn't want a very thick wet coating as we thought it might be too salty.

Shirleen said:
I prefer www.slimmingeats.com version much nicer and cheaper to make!

I made this last weekend too. I have now made both versions and I have to say I agree. Slimming eats version is definitely the winner!

t11cky said:
Now I know what I did wrong, I mixed the bread crumbs and sauce together too early!!
KFC Style Chicken (Slimming World) - YouTube

Crikey don't use that fools version that's where I went wrong last time it all ended up on the bottom of the pan! I did it again tonight, no re boiling (yak) and with strips, just dipped them in th bovril mix and rolled in the bread crumbs it was lush!

Yep, I wouldn't bother precooking the chicken at all, just start off raw, add some sauce, make sure the chicken peices are fully covered and then drain off the excess before rolling in breadcrumbs. There's no need to use as much sauce as stated in some of the recipes - certainly not a whole tub of bovril! You only need a thin coating of egg mixture to give it some flavour and give the spices and breadcrumbs something to stick to.

Not entirely sure why the guy in the video removed the crusts on the bread either. Just bung the whole slices into a mini processor! :)

Rita von Ruben said:
Yep, I wouldn't bother precooking the chicken at all, just start off raw, add some sauce, make sure the chicken peices are fully covered and then drain off the excess before rolling in breadcrumbs. There's no need to use as much sauce as stated in some of the recipes - certainly not a whole tub of bovril! You only need a thin coating of egg mixture to give it some flavour and give the spices and breadcrumbs something to stick to.

Not entirely sure why the guy in the video removed the crusts on the bread either. Just bung the whole slices into a mini processor! :)

I agree it could have done with being less salty and I add a lot of salt to my food!

I made this tonight too....was rather impressed actually and glad I read some of the more recent post about not using a full tub of chicken bovril and only giving the chicken a thin coating....yummy!! will make this again!

Back