KFC Chicken done the SW way

I don't have any problem getting the breadcrumbs to stick. Are you just dipping it in egg or are you using the original Bovril recipe because it sticks to it great when its covered in the Bovril mix?

It's an adapted recipe to be honest since I don't have any bovril and don't want to waste money on it. Chefs on the telly always just seem to use egg and make it look so easy lol

Money-penny said:
It's an adapted recipe to be honest since I don't have any bovril and don't want to waste money on it. Chefs on the telly always just seem to use egg and make it look so easy lol

Yeah I make another recipe - Chicken Parmigana (sp?) - where it just used egg to stick the breadcrumbs on and it definitely doesn't stick as well :(

OMG!!!!! THANKS!!! now i can pig out on "fast food" :D

Im gonna try this today but just a couple of questions i couldnt find Bovril paste in Morrisons so just got normal chicken Bovril (is this the same thing? as it looks like a paste inside) also just grabbed schwatz mixed spice without looking and when ive undone it and had a smell its very sweat smelling and it does say on the back to try on sweat stuff (apple pies fruit crumbles) surely this is not the right mixed spice? ive got a pretty good selection of spices so can i substitute with a mix of something else? any help is much apreciated.

And yes i must be having a thick day today haha

In the mixed spice I've got is- cinnamon, coriander seed, caraway seed, ginger, fennel seed, nutmeg, cloves and turmeric. Don't know the measures of each one sorry!
I use the chicken bovril in a jar and its like a gloopy black paste so if it looks like that I'm sure it'll be fine!
Also I don't boil the chicken first I just whack it in the oven and it's really tasty

Good luck

In the mixed spice I've got is- cinnamon, coriander seed, caraway seed, ginger, fennel seed, nutmeg, cloves and turmeric. Don't know the measures of each one sorry!
I use the chicken bovril in a jar and its like a gloopy black paste so if it looks like that I'm sure it'll be fine!
Also I don't boil the chicken first I just whack it in the oven and it's really tasty

Good luck

Cheers it looks like its the right mixed spice mix then mine does not have tumeric but i can put some of that in and the bovril is same to thanks alot :)

Has anyone ever tried preparing this and then freezing it for cooking later? I'm trying to bulk cook and fill my freezer with SW food so I don't spend my whole evening making dinner every night! I'd love to have a store of KFC chicken on the bone and / or "chicken nuggets"! or if no one has done it before, where would be a good point in the method to freeze? Or do we think it's just a bad idea?

philly_x said:
Has anyone ever tried preparing this and then freezing it for cooking later? I'm trying to bulk cook and fill my freezer with SW food so I don't spend my whole evening making dinner every night! I'd love to have a store of KFC chicken on the bone and / or "chicken nuggets"! or if no one has done it before, where would be a good point in the method to freeze? Or do we think it's just a bad idea?

I've no idea but would love it if there was a way as I find this such a nice tea but a massive faf x

philly_x said:

Just had a quick google and found a few homemade "chicken nugget" recipes with breadcrumbs that said it was fine to freeze them once made up with the chicken raw and just give them 5-10 minutes longer in the oven if cooked from frozen. There were lots of comments from people saying them did this successfully but to freeze them laid out on a tray instead of all bunged in something together so that they don't stick to each other and make the crumbs fall off.

I'd give it a try if I was you, just don't freeze them if the chicken you're using has already been defrosted from frozen.

I went to our local Asda and bought the beef bovril as they didn't have any chicken one and u panicked! Will it be rank with the beef one? I am meant to be making it for tea :(

Felix said:
I went to our local Asda and bought the beef bovril as they didn't have any chicken one and u panicked! Will it be rank with the beef one? I am meant to be making it for tea :(

Ignore this! I got some chicken stock pots which did the job. Just eating now and it's a bit dry but I can tell where the recipe is going with the KFC spice thing :D

Back