"Kicked out of ketosis"

reluctant_whale

Hi There,

I have just been thinking (as you do on a Saturday morning waiting for Tesco!) and I see the term "kicked out of ketosis" bounded around on the boards (not just Atkins) regarding one slip up - i.e. a sugary drink etc.

I am not sure it is as easy as being "kicked out" instantly. When I finished a VLCD it took my body 3 days of normal (approx 300g of carbs per day) to come "out" of ketosis .. at the time I was under the doctor as the VLCD made me very poorly and he monitored my ketones and other levels.

I guess what I am trying to say is everyone IS different but I think we mustn't loose sleep over teeny slip ups. The body is a very complex machine and things take time - I say if you slip up drink a ton of water to push the sugar through the liver / kidneys asap and I don't see any reason why ketosis would stop instantly. It takes days to go into .. and days to come out of (in my case anyway).

Anyone else got any ideas about this - would be interesting to hear. Now where is that blummin shopping .. I need my eggs! :)

Last edited:
I've seen me eat a whole pack of jaffa cakes on a VLCD and still be in ketosis a few hours later. Not my proudest moment but still....

Like you say, one slip up doesn't ruin whatever diet you're on...

Absolutely, it breaks my heart on here when I see people absolutely devestated about a slip up. Like you say, it's not your proudest moment but hey .. we are all human and we live in a world surrounded by ... JUNK! Just thought I would share my story to try and make people feel better .. I just had a giant squirt of tommy K on my scrambled eggs .. feel dead guilty now but hey .. it tasted goooood !!

My full fat coke had upset me, but I'm going to drink my body weight in water today and have some milk thistle to help flush it out a bit quicker!

Does anyone else use milk thistle?

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Ive not heard of it raver_minx, is it good for water retention? If so im off down to H&B .. my body LOVES water ;)!!!

raverminx said:
My full fat coke had upset me, but I'm going to drink my body weight in water today and have some milk thistle to help flush it out a bit quicker!

Does anyone else use milk thistle?

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Milk thistle is brilliant .... God damn expensive though just got two jars at H&B for £38 :eek:

I rely on the theory in the Carbohydrate Addicts diet...that if you have a carb binge...just once...and stop within an hour...you can get away with it. That diet lets you eat carbs once a day for an hour...always found it works for me...so if I fall off...I try and stop the carbs within an hour
M
x

That sounds fab mini ... I am off on a little holiday next weekend so I may need to check out this theory! :)

Back