Kids....

nictastic

Says it as it is!!!
ok, my youngest finished school for 7 weeks yesterday...and is bored!
My 11 yr old finishes on the 31st ...and will no doubt be equally as bored within 3 hrs of being off!!!
I have changed all my working patterns so i only work evenings and mainly at the weekend.
We arent going abroad this year, but are having a week away camping..other than that i have nothing planned!!! oops:cry:
What are you doing with your kids, in these dreaded holidays?
How do you entertain them without blowing your entire savings?

mine are all little Bailey 4yrs old, Jake 20 months and Keigan 7 months. Bailey is always bored hes got everything a kid could dream of computers psp, ps2, wii, ds, hes got portable dvd player enough toys to fill a toy shop but always bored he broke up from nursery on tuesday his dad my partner took him to work with him wednesday and today, hes a delivery driver bailey loves sitting in the van watchin his dvds think he just like spending time wi his dad. We'r bookin a late holiday just a week to primrose valley i think, Bailey goes to cricket and football on a weekend to keep him busy but through the week its hard finding something for him to do it ok if weathers nice and we can get out of the house but its been crap lately so stuck indoors booo!!
so i have the same problem already tried giving him odd jobs to do but because i'm asking him to do them he wont lol

i only have one daughter and as she is 18 she finds her own entertainment :eek:

when she was little we used to decorate her room when she was on summer holidays - she painted the middle bit i did the cutting in. she pasted the wallpaper i put it up. Dunno if boys would go much for that though!!

Gave her a piece of the garden too that she could look after. Well dont get me wrong - i am sure she would have prefered to spend 6 weeks at a theme park or the zoo lol but those times were 'saved' till her dad [tosserpotextraordinaire!] could come with us.

Buy a big trampoline with the nets on the side and get their mates round - make some sarnies and pop - there, instant tea party!!

Organise a cricket/football/rounders match with the kids in your area.

Bake stuff with them [hard to do whilst on LipoTrim?] or get the 11 yr old supervising the little one with rice krispie cakes.

Take em to the science and industry museum - they have interactive exhibits there.

ok i cant think of owt else!! I aint had to for yonks :p

Know how you feel nic. Summer holidays seem to be so long some times! Especially when the weather is not so good. I always had a pland for the week,
day 1: I would take them out somewhere like cinema,swimming, theme park etc,

day 2: I would do a "no cost" outing like a park, woods, to a local place where they could paddle in water and fish (bought a little inflatable boat which they loved). Always took a picnic

day 3 we would have their friends round.

day 4: we would visit friends,

that left one day of the week free to do last minute things or just chill.

That way it didnt cost too much but there was always something going on
xx

i only have one daughter and as she is 18 she finds her own entertainment :eek:

when she was little we used to decorate her room when she was on summer holidays - she painted the middle bit i did the cutting in. she pasted the wallpaper i put it up. Dunno if boys would go much for that though!!

Gave her a piece of the garden too that she could look after. Well dont get me wrong - i am sure she would have prefered to spend 6 weeks at a theme park or the zoo lol but those times were 'saved' till her dad [tosserpotextraordinaire!] could come with us.

Buy a big trampoline with the nets on the side and get their mates round - make some sarnies and pop - there, instant tea party!!

Organise a cricket/football/rounders match with the kids in your area.

Bake stuff with them [hard to do whilst on LipoTrim?] or get the 11 yr old supervising the little one with rice krispie cakes.

Take em to the science and industry museum - they have interactive exhibits there.

ok i cant think of owt else!! I aint had to for yonks :p
Lol lisa...loving the [tosserpotextraordinaire!]

Yeah we have the trampoline...but its peeing it down!
We've cooked this am and his room is decorate (only about 6 weeks ago)
I think glue, glitter and board games are on the menu for later ...cheers hun xx

Know how you feel nic. Summer holidays seem to be so long some times! Especially when the weather is not so good. I always had a pland for the week,
day 1: I would take them out somewhere like cinema,swimming, theme park etc,

day 2: I would do a "no cost" outing like a park, woods, to a local place where they could paddle in water and fish (bought a little inflatable boat which they loved). Always took a picnic

day 3 we would have their friends round.

day 4: we would visit friends,

that left one day of the week free to do last minute things or just chill.

That way it didnt cost too much but there was always something going on
xx
lol... good week plan DB.. will have to think ahead now for next week!

ok, my youngest finished school for 7 weeks yesterday...and is bored!
My 11 yr old finishes on the 31st ...and will no doubt be equally as bored within 3 hrs of being off!!!
I have changed all my working patterns so i only work evenings and mainly at the weekend.
We arent going abroad this year, but are having a week away camping..other than that i have nothing planned!!! oops:cry:
What are you doing with your kids, in these dreaded holidays?
How do you entertain them without blowing your entire savings?

I love summer holidays. They aren't long enough in my opinion! Did I mention that I've started a seven week holiday!?! Whoo-hoo!!!

Us teachers have to put up with your bloody kids for three quarters of the year - now it's your turn to babysit the little bar-studs whilst we chill out!!!

My son loved his trampoline. We bought it when he was 11 and he's been on in pretty much every day since (now 16). Very worthwhile investment.

Having said that....yesterday he did a flip and went straight through it!! Everyone said he would have an accident because we didn't have a net..and he does loads of somersaults. Didn't plan on him going through the darn thing.

Anyway...I digress. Girls are easy. Give them an old catalogue, scissors, glue and they'll play sticking and pasting for hours.

11 year old boys are hard. Don't know about your area, but it's just before the time when they are 'set free' here....(gets loads easier then)

I used to have them invite friends over and let them lose with the hosepipe in the garden. Mucho fun. Need good weather though:sigh:

Generally speaking, kids these days aren't too good at homemade entertainment, but I found there was a lot of improvement once I suggested they "found something to do...or helped me with the housework" :D

11 year old boys are hard. Don't know about your area, but it's just before the time when they are 'set free' here....(gets loads easier then)
Bloody hell, is he ok? Luckily our is on that spongy stuff you get on parks!

I wish, he was near being set free..unfortunately he autistic...so will not be being set free anytime in the near future:sigh:

I think we are going to get very wrinkly over the next 6 weeks from all the swimming!

House work hahahahahahahahahahhahahahah you got to be kidding ...its a full hour battle to get any of them to do the dishwasher!!! Boys tut

I love summer holidays. They aren't long enough in my opinion! Did I mention that I've started a seven week holiday!?! Whoo-hoo!!!

Us teachers have to put up with your bloody kids for three quarters of the year - now it's your turn to babysit the little bar-studs whilst we chill out!!!
Awww Scaz..thanks for the offer...i could do with a surogate father!!! hehe i will drop em off tonight!!:D

Bloody hell, is he ok?

Yeah...he survived. All the crazy things he does with his Parkour...only has accidents when he doing something harmless like walking down the road:rolleyes:
I wish, he was near being set free..unfortunately he autistic...so will not be being set free anytime in the near future:sigh:

Ah. See what you mean. My eldest son has Aspergers BTw. Not the same thing I know..but related. Totally unable to play with a his toys when he was younger, but suddenly found joy from his guitar. Plays for hours! and hours...and hours...and hours;)

House work hahahahahahahahahahhahahahah you got to be kidding ...its a full hour battle to get any of them to do the dishwasher!!!

Teehe. I don't do battles. I say...they do. Kind of a rule of the house :D

my mum and dad use to tell us to play on the M1, suppose it was cheap for them

Yeah...he survived. All the crazy things he does with his Parkour...only has accidents when he doing something harmless like walking down the road:rolleyes:

Ah. See what you mean. My eldest son has Aspergers BTw. Not the same thing I know..but related. Totally unable to play with a his toys when he was younger, but suddenly found joy from his guitar. Plays for hours! and hours...and hours...and hours;)

Teehe. I don't do battles. I say...they do. Kind of a rule of the house :D

Glad he's ok!!!

Yeah, exactly the same he's an aspire too ( i don't use aspergers as many people have never heard of it!) ..also has ADHD NOT a good combo!! I am hoping the sax i just bought, will do exactly the same thing for him!

I try saying 'they do'...but, not quiet there yet with the following haha

Good luck Nic.

My 2 eldest are older so do their own thing. Eldest is off on holiday with her friend and family for a fortnight. Middle one pretty much spends most of his time on his bike out with friends. My youngest is just 10 and is off for a week at Scout camp at the beginning then a weekend away with her Nan at the end. In the middle we'll have days out on the bikes, picnics at the local park and playing tennis. We may even cycle into town, although there is a dodgy stretch of road I'm not sure if she is ready for.

We have a trampoline in the garden and she is planning a few sleepovers with friends. We'll also do some baking and have promised to pet-sit for friends.

Our library does a great reading scheme in the holidays that gets many children reading and mine have done it in the past. Only the little one is young enough to take care this year.

I love the summer hols as I get to spend time with the children without having to rush them to their clubs and I get to catch up with friends and family.

How about getting the children to write down some things they'd like to do then put them in a hat and choose one each week.

Hope you get some inspiration Nic.

x

Yeah, exactly the same he's an aspire too ( i don't use aspergers as many people have never heard of it!) ..also has ADHD NOT a good combo!! I am hoping the sax i just bought, will do exactly the same thing for him!

Exactly the same as my little brother (I say 'little', he'll be 19 this year...:eek:) Aspergers and ADHD (plus some random conduct disorder *shrug*) We found that once he found his hobby (motorbikes of all bloody things) we could use that to calm him down but he's still on meds to this day :sigh: Absolute sweetheart of a boy but my god if he hasn't had his pills I could easily kill the bugger!

Try something called Gelli bath. From ebay or Tesco - don't put too much water in and it a powder that turns the bath into sort of thick wall paper paste. 2 packs n the bath and leave them in there. Mine youngest has Down syndrome so in she goes with her older sister - both with bathing suits on and the stay for ages and ages. Its gross but for a day like today brilliant - depends whether your son copes with tactile stuff. On the same theme Netto sell cornflour for under 20p a pack large washing up bowl , throw in water and about 5 packs and away for a few hours and you can use it over and over.
Have fun !!

Exactly the same as my little brother (I say 'little', he'll be 19 this year...:eek:) Aspergers and ADHD (plus some random conduct disorder *shrug*) We found that once he found his hobby (motorbikes of all bloody things) we could use that to calm him down but he's still on meds to this day :sigh: Absolute sweetheart of a boy but my god if he hasn't had his pills I could easily kill the bugger!
Yeah, know what you mean with the meds....we never forget anymore lol!
I am still waiting for that hobby (fingers crossed not motorbikes) and hopefully then he'll be easier!

Back