One day at a time...

SarahCroz

Hello!,

I’ve been meaning to start this diary for a while now. I’m hoping that writing it all down and ‘honestly’ keeping track of things here (even if no one reads them) will make a difference and this will not just be another failed attempt at losing this weight.

So this is how I got here… (sorry, it’s really long and really boring to read so feel free to skip this bit! I just NEED to get this off my chest to understand why I did this to myself).

I’ve been on a diet for 30 years! Ever since my early teens I have had a very unhealthy relationship with food. It’s never been about eating to live; I use food to control my emotions. At first, aged about 13, I discovered that if I didn’t eat much people gave me loads of attention and I could be tiny. And it was easy, I spent my dinner money on cigarettes and didn’t have much of an appetite, too pre-occupied with boys! :D. But at 17 I got my heart broken and the only way I thought I would get the attention I craved was to consciously stop eating almost completely. I lost too much weight, I was a mess but if I’m honest I liked the feeling of being in control of something. Eventually I got over him, as you do (hindsight eh?). I turned 18, had a great summer – legal drinking at last and started to eat again. I met my husband Ian just before I was 19, I was 8 ½ stone. Everything was good.

Fast forward a few years and we were living in London, earning loads, out every night and for the first time shopping, cooking and looking after someone else. I loved it, especially the cooking, but it wasn’t long before I put on weight. I wasn’t too bothered because I knew if I stopped eating for a bit it would go. Trouble was, I didn’t smoke anymore and it wasn’t as easy as it used to be. I forced myself to do it though. And so began a cycle, binge, starve, binge starve. The binging got easier and the starving got harder! But my weight levelled at about 10 stone… until I got pregnant! I gave up work, moved back to Milton Keynes and at 23 I had my son. I was so happy, I think I must have just eaten for the entire 9 months! I was probably still a little bit overweight when I got pregnant again when my son was 16 months old. Shortly after my daughter was born I was absolutely horrified, I was 13 stone! I just couldn’t starve myself anymore but didn’t really know how to lose weight healthily. So I plucked up the courage and went to Weight Watchers. To be honest that was easy too, I stuck to my points, went to the meetings, did a bit of exercise and 4 months later I had lost 3 stone. But I was hungry… all the time! I made the mistake of not going to class once I got to goal. I didn’t stay at 10 stone for long, I think it was too thin for me really. I put on a few pounds and pretty much stayed that weight for about 7 years. I joined the gym when the kids went to nursery and had a good routine, 2 hours a day running, rowing and swimming, 5 days a week. Ian worked abroad during this time and even though I knew how to eat properly and did so during the day, in the evenings when I was on my own, I binged! Over time my methods of maintaining my weight got increasingly dodgy as I was always looking for a quicker fix, Cambridge diet, Atkins, diet pills, laxatives, even exercising wearing a bin bag! I think I was eating healthy foods most of the time but obviously too much and at the wrong times, every emotion I encountered had a food solution. And every social occasion involved food and drink, it felt like a constant battle that as I got older got harder to fight. I was losing control.
After 11 years at home looking after the children we moved to a bigger house which meant I had to go to work again. I tried a bit of office work but hated the hours and being away from the children. So I trained to become a driving instructor and it was great – good money, flexible hours and I was my own boss. The downside was sitting in a car all day; eating on the go and having much less time exercise or prepare healthy food for the evening. Ian stopped working abroad so we had much more of a social life, meals out, holidays, and weekends away. Sounds lovely, and it was, I was really happy. But weight wise, it was a recipe for disaster. None of my control strategies worked anymore, the problem was too big! And worse still, I started to accept it!

But not quite… someone told me about Slimming World so I gave it a go. I struggled but it was much more flexible than WW, at least I was never hungry. This was when it was just red and green days. I lost 2 stone but I had a gain and was too embarrassed to get weighed, thought I could get to back under control and then I’d go back. Of course I didn’t, I just put the 2 stone back on! Plus another ½ stone! Fast forward a few more years and this pattern continued, I’ve put on and lost more stones than I care to think about.

Last year, the usual January resolution came. My daughter got a WiiFit for Xmas and we all jumped on (well I didn’t exactly jump :eek:) to do our Wii Mi’s. I fully intended to jump off before it came to measuring my weight but my son had the controller and before I realised my weight came up on the screen for all to see. I was mortified, 19st 2lbs! I had never admitted my weight to my family (who are all normal weight) or anyone else for that matter but even I was totally shocked by that number. I had every intention of ‘doing it this time’. I lost a stone but the emotional eating got the better of me yet again. Quite frankly last year was the worst year of my life, both mine and Ian’s businesses had been suffering in the recession and it was just getting worse. Ian’s dad was diagnosed with cancer and now both the children were away at Uni. We were stressed out, everything was changing and I felt completely out of control. I worried constantly and told myself my head wasn’t in the right place to diet.

Before I knew it, it was January again. And despite losing a stone on 2 occasions last year I was now 19st 11lbs! I was kicking myself for wasting yet another year, but I wasn’t even horrified this time round, I think I really had just started to accept that I wouldn’t be able to lose this weight, it was too much and I didn’t have the energy anymore. I half heartedly decided I’d do Slimming World again when the kids went back to Uni and was looking stuff up on t’internet when I remembered Minimins. The first thing I saw was the 6 stone challenge, people just like me with a common aim. I started reading and I don’t think I’ve stopped since!

So here I am, 5 weeks later and 14 ½ lbs lighter. I know how to lose weight using SW and I know it works, I just don’t think the group therapy works well for me. Too much clapping J But from reading and relating to so many other people and actually admitting I’m not in control of this all of the time it’s kind of taken the pressure off me. I’m taking a different approach… day by day. That’s all I have to do, keep going. It’s not all or nothing, I can have a bad day, it’s ok. I have to reprogram my brain and rethink how I interpret the plan. I think I’m actually getting somewhere with that. Its early days and I’ve been here so many times before but already this feels a bit different. I’ve got this big support group and I can talk about whatever I want without being embarrassed. It doesn’t matter if not a soul reads it, it’s out there. I’ve written this for me because all my life I’ve tried to control this on my own, well I can’t. I doubt I’ll ever be able to ask for help face to face but this will do for now.

I’m not sure if I’ll even post this now…

Hi :) well done on posting this and for taking your life by the balls and putting yourself back in the driving seat (did you like the pun lol).

I'm similar, been on a "diet" for all my adult life, tried all the quick fixes etc. but like you this time will be different because I've accepted that its not going to happen overnight, it's going to be slow and theres going to be tough days. But we will get there this time x

Good luck. I am looking forward to walking this journey with you x

I can see a lot in common between us, including the fact we both live in MK!
I'll happily be your buddy as I'm guessing we've got roughly the same amount to loose :)

Hi :) well done on posting this and for taking your life by the balls and putting yourself back in the driving seat (did you like the pun lol).

I'm similar, been on a "diet" for all my adult life, tried all the quick fixes etc. but like you this time will be different because I've accepted that its not going to happen overnight, it's going to be slow and theres going to be tough days. But we will get there this time x

Good luck. I am looking forward to walking this journey with you x

I can see a lot in common between us, including the fact we both live in MK!
I'll happily be your buddy as I'm guessing we've got roughly the same amount to loose :)

Hi, thanks for reading and taking the time to reply. It was a bit of an epic post, but once I started to type it all came flooding out. Feel much better now :D.

Good luck to you both too, it's so much easier to do this with people understand what you're going thru.

Faith... I'm in Newport Pagnell, we're practically neighbours :D:D.

I'll update with todays food later, haven't quite decided between a red day or EE.

Forgot to say in my last post, lost 4 1/2lbs when I WI this morning. :D:D

Decided to do an EE day in the end.

Breakfast:
Egg
Mushrooms
Tomatoes

Banana

Lunch:
Home made vegetable soup
Ryvita HEXB
3 x Laughing Cow extra light 1/2 HEXA

Dinner:
Kedgeree (smoked haddock, rice, egg, peas and sweetcorn)
Salad
Extra light mayo 1 syn

Milk in tea 1/2 syn

Hungry today, might have a curly wurly later :D

SarahCroz said:
Forgot to say in my last post, lost 4 1/2lbs when I WI this morning. :D:D

Decided to do an EE day in the end.

Breakfast:
Egg
Mushrooms
Tomatoes

Banana

Lunch:
Home made vegetable soup
Ryvita HEXB
3 x Laughing Cow extra light 1/2 HEXA

Dinner:
Kedgeree (smoked haddock, rice, egg, peas and sweetcorn)
Salad
Extra light mayo 1 syn

Milk in tea 1/2 syn

Hungry today, might have a curly wurly later :D

Fantastic. Well done x

I did have the curly wurly so syns for yesterday = 7 1/2.

Wedding Anniversary today so going out this evening. The food should be ok, I can usually stick to steak and salad. I'm planning to have a drink tho so it'll probably be a flexible syns day as I lose all self control after 2 glasses of wine! :7834: :8855:.
Off to plan goods days for today and tomorrow to compensate.

Saturday - EE

Breakfast:
Egg
Slice of bacon
Mushroom
Tomato

Lunch:
Vegatable soup

Dinner:
Steak
New potatoes
Salad
Pepper sauce

Now the bad bit... :break_diet:
2 double vodkas
1/2 bottle fo wine
Jamaican coffee
4 Jack Daniels
And, although we didn't order it, the waitress brought us a chocolate brownie for our anniversary and it would have been rude to leave it :D:D

I'm not even going to count that lot, could of been worse I suppose - at least I didn't have chips!

Today's another day! ;)

EE day today, always feel really hungry after a few drinks the night before...

Breakfast:
Sausage 1 syn
Bacon
Egg
Mushrooms

Lunch:
Veg soup
Cheese scones

Snack:
Ryvita HEXB
Laughing cow triangles 1/2 HEXA

French Fries 4 syns (well I did say I was hungry!)

Dinner:
Beef
Carrots, cabbage, broccoli, parsnip
Gravy 2 syns

Todays food...

EE but could still be red :D

Breakfast
Sausage 1 syn
Egg
Mushrooms
Tomato
Cheese Scone

Lunch
Lettuce, spring onions and peppers
Beef

Banana

Snack
Cheese scone with salmon mousse

Dinner
Liver and onions with tomato gravy 2 syns
Cabbage
Mashed Potato

No HEX's yet so may have some ryvita, don't really just want to eat for the sake of it though.

So.. I went to the gym yesterday, yay! First time in 8 months :eek:. Gonna take a while to get back into it but it wasn't as bad as I thought. Not going to do too much, just build up gently.

Food for yesterday... Red

Breakfast:
2 x Weetabix HEXB
Milk HEXA
Banana

Lunch:
Vegatable soup
2 x cheese scones 2 syns

Dinner:
Beef
Carrots, swede and cabbage
Pepper sauce 2 syns
Roulade

Snacks:
Carrot sticks and salmon mousse
Muller

Back to the gym again today. Having another red day I think, seems to suit me better keeping the carbs down.

Plan for today

Breakfast:
2 x Weetabix HEXB
Milk 1/2 HEXA
Banana

Lunch:
Veg soup
Cheese scones 2 syns

Dinner:
Pork stir fry
Roulade

Snacks:
Carrots and salmon mousse
Muller
Alpen bar 1/2 HEXB

Last edited:
Welcome done on starting again. I soooo know how you feel about always wanting a quick fix. I remember working out loads of times how much I cud loose on Cambridge. And I couldnt even do a week. It was horrible. I call it the evil diet as it made me feel evil and miserable. Lol.

I think we just have to realised there isn't a quick fix for our weight. Got to be in it for the long haul .

Good luck.xxx

Good luck to you too Lucy! Looks like you're doing really well, all we have to do is keep going :D:D xx

Haven't been keeping track or writing my diary all weekend :(

I WI on Friday and STS, was a bit disappointed but thinking on it, I went to the gym a couple of times and really was trying to keep my portion sizes right down so maybe the changes affected me. I would have hoped to have seen it balance out this week but after my weekend I'll be lucky if I don't put on! I was fine with the food, had 3 meals out but stuck to meat, new potatoes and salad/veg, probably a few syns because you don't know how they cook things in restaurants but didn't have desserts or anything. It was the booze that let me down. Thursday my friend came round and we had a few glasses of wine. Then Friday I went out for cocktails with some other friends and Saturday out with the husband and we polished off 2 bottles of wine and a few JD's too! :break_diet:Sunday we just popped out with some friends for pub grub, again I had chicken with ham, herb potatoes (basically new potatoes with herbs on!) and asparagus. I drove so at least I didn't drink :D If I add up the syns for the whole week I probably haven't gone over by too much but tbh I'm expecting a gain on Friday.

Oh well, not going to let it ruin what I've acheived so far so back on track today. I think writing down what I'm having definitely helps me...

Breakfast
2 eggs
Mushrooms
Cheese scone

Lunch
Veg soup, 2 cheese scones
Ryvita HEXB
Laughing cow extra light 1/2 HEXA
(had a different topping on each, salmon and cucumber, salad leaves, onion chutney and marmite. Made it feel like a feast :))
Slice of 1/2 syn Roulade (not going to count syns as it's 1/2 for the whole thing)

Dinner
Pork loin steaks
carrots, cabbage and brocolli
Pepper sauce 2 syns

Muller light and a banana

Oh, and I had a bite of a Fox biscuit, it's 4 1/2 syns for the whole thing so I'm guestimating 2 syns.

I've eaten loads today :eek: I've kept to the plan and only had 4 syns but still feel a bit guilty. Just having a hungry day I guess.

I'm going for a new method.... eat loads!! Must be hormonal, I've been sooo hungry these last couple of days! :confused:

Breakfast
Scambled eggs
Tomatoes
Cheese scones

Lunch
Salmon and egg salad
Mayo 1 syn
Ryvita 1/2 HEXB
Laughing Cow Extra Light x 2 1/2 HEXA
Muller light
Alpen Light Bar 1/2 HEXB

Snack