Kitchen Knives

HPSaucy

Will get there one day!
I have searched but I don't think this has already been asked.

We're looking at getting some new kitchen knives (well I am as I do the majority of the cooking!), we've got some vouchers left from our wedding so will probably get some from John Lewis.

My question is which brand of knife do you like and that are sharp as I'm fed up with my blunt ones and also how many knives realistically do you think I need? X

Gino D'Acampo Cucina 5 Piece Knife Block Set [Toy]: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

I have those knives :) I do a fair bit of cooking I suppose, but not like Masterchef styleee. I have used 4 of them I think, not used the big one, whatever it may be (really sound like I know what I'm doing, don't I!)
They clean up well, I have had them for nearly 2 years now, and they still look great, and are good for when I need precision cutting. Saying that, for every day cutting up of things, I use a serrated set from Wilko that were about £3!

....wonder why it is listed on Amazon as a toy?!

You need a knife in one piece, it may have a handle of sone sort around one end but shouldn't have just a bit stuck into the handle, this is for strength and weight distribution.
When you buy your knives buy a steel too, there are lots of YouTube videos on how to use them. Every time you use your knife sharpen it on your steel, and sharpen after using.
Use plastic or wooden chopping boards as anything else will blunt them.
HTH

im training as a chef and my partner is a chef so we have a very very good range of knives between us.

If you can get a brand online called Victoriknox and search for the pastry knife its brilliant for cutting anything from veg to the toughest meats as its got a serated blade.

For smaller knifes for chopping with go to TK MAXX and look for a brand called KUHN RIKON they are great and come in all sorts of sizes styles and colours and they are quite cheap :)

Looking after your knifes is really easy if you buy a steel and sharpen them every few weeks and only sharpen in one direction and you will keep the blades in great condition :)

xx

jo

Wow thank you everyone for your input, I'm going to google all the suggestions and see what comes up, sounds like you all know what you're talking about too!

Think I saw the global ones on the John Lewis website when I was looking.

As for sharpening them.. Oops! Something I've never done! But then I never did have good knives to start with but will definitely consider buying a sharpener as well.

Thank you all again x

I've just had a new set bought for me by my wonderful parents (one of many things they bought me when moving into the new place). They are not the most expensive in the world but I am very impressed with them, and a friend of mine went out and bought herself a set after using them too as she was impressed with them. They are currently half price as well!

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8424107/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CKitchen+and+laundry%7C14418476/c_2/2%7C14418476%7CKitchenware%7C14418477/c_3/3%7Ccat_14418477%7CKnife+blocks%7C14418504.htm

Ellebear said:
How do you sharpen the knives? i have a Viners set which i love, and it has a rod thats rough (sorry for my lack of knowledge/reference!)

For our wedding we have been bought a set of Joseph Joseph ones with chopping boards!!!! (colour coded too!!!)

*squeak*

xxx

Have a look on YouTube for how to use a steel, ( the rough stick) lol

KittenKat said:
I've just had a new set bought for me by my wonderful parents (one of many things they bought me when moving into the new place). They are not the most expensive in the world but I am very impressed with them, and a friend of mine went out and bought herself a set after using them too as she was impressed with them. They are currently half price as well!

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8424107/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CKitchen+and+laundry%7C14418476/c_2/2%7C14418476%7CKitchenware%7C14418477/c_3/3%7Ccat_14418477%7CKnife+blocks%7C14418504.htm

Thanks I'll look into those too but would be good if we can use up our vouchers from John Lewis x

I have Global knives too. They are not cheap, but are very well balanced and easy to use and clean. I have a sharpening block for mine, but it is a bit of a performance, so I was very interested to see the water sharpener mentioned here. Must try to get one of those.

Global came first in a Which test on kitchen knives recently.

My mum's always sworn by Sebatier knives...they're quite expensive but she's had them for 37 years now (nearly 38!) As long as you keep them sharp they just keep going.

The only two knives I use are a carving knife or a Chef's knife for general chopping (I like big knives!) and a bread knife. That's it, lol!

dudette2001uk said:
My mum's always sworn by Sebatier knives...they're quite expensive but she's had them for 37 years now (nearly 38!) As long as you keep them sharp they just keep going.

The only two knives I use are a carving knife or a Chef's knife for general chopping (I like big knives!) and a bread knife. That's it, lol!

Me too with the chefs knife and a bread knife!

I got a huge set from jean-patrique as a deal, I think they were free, if you bought a knife block or something, can't remember now, but it was the biggest bargain ever, they have lasted years and with the occasional sharpening do every possible job perfectly.

Just found this - http://www.jean-patrique-cookware.co.uk/995knives/?utm_source=JPN3

Which may have been the same deal, its definitely the same set we have. Even with their £10 postage, that's £11.99 for a REALLY decent knife set, and they come with a 25 year guarantee.

Last edited:
HPSaucy said:
I love those chopping boards, really wanted them but couldn't afford them so went for the cheaper Lakeland version coloured boards but they don't come in a container thingymebob! X

I have the chopping boards with the glass kitchen top protector. Didn't know they did knives too! Shall investigate!

Someone told me Sabatier are really good but i think they are a fair wedge!

Back