Lauras Diary of Incubating

Didn't sleep a wink. Hubby got up at 9.30 and sent me to bed. I slept most of the day haha. My DD curled up beside me and slept too. Feeling okay today, gonna try and settle the littlest lady in her cot in our room tonight. I'm really hoping the choking incident is finished now and doesn't happen again. Hard to keep not checking her though

Hi Laura,

How are you? I hope you and your family had a good christmas! Love the pic of your two girls :) Bet your son and daughter were so chuffed to have a baby sister! :) So cute xxx

Congratulations Laura, I've just come back do missed your news!! How exciting another little girl :)

Hope you've not had any more incidents, sounds terrifying....and you're getting some rest!

Congratulations Laura, I've just come back do missed your news!! How exciting another little girl :)

Hope you've not had any more incidents, sounds terrifying....and you're getting some rest!

Hey long time no hear. How are you getting on?

Ellen unfortunately is still doing the whole choking and not breathing thing about once a day. She has also started spewing up at least one bottle. I did bring her to a doctor on Friday, but the doc didn't seem to really think it was anything other than normal newborn behaviour. Since I've been talking to an aunt who says her son and his son both did it and both had a twist in their tube to their stomach, so I'm gonna bring her back to the doctor tomorrow and ask them to look into it again. Me and hubby are taking turns sleeping so that we are here when she does either. I am exhausted though.

Not much else going on, just trying to keep the kids entertained and the house clean and tidy. Food hasn't been to bad. I am managing at least 2 healthy meals a day.

Hope everyone else is well x

Hi Laura not sure if I have congratulated you yet on the birth of your little girl .. Well done she is so very beautiful !!
Hope you are settling well and enjoying having another little one around the house :)
Xxxx

Oh Laura you poor thing.. Dunno how I'd cope with that.. I don't think either myself or Jonathan would be very good in that situation... Hope it clears up soon and you get some answers/treatment that can clear it... xx

Aw Laura, hope little Ellen's ok. And hope the doctor will do some investigating this time and give ye some answers. You poor thing and your husband, must be exhausting. Hugs.. xxx

Oh no poor Ellen & you, how can you rest when it's like that? Were your other two prem? Is this your first term baby?? It's worth going back to the docs though, if nothing else to make sure she's actually gaining weight. Do you have health visits over there? My friends/family here always get more sense from health visitors/midwives than the docs...hope you both have a good day :)

Oh hun x I hope you're ok must be so frightening. Definitely go back to the doctors if you're not happy xxx

Ahhhhh man that sounds awful and its no wonder you're so worried.

I would deffo take her back to the doctor....I know I have no experience or anything but it doesn't sounds normal/right to me??

(((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))

xxx

Yea we have a health nurse that comes to visit a couple of times after the birth... Not had any personal experience yet but from what I've heard, they're not very good...

That's a shame, I've heard ours are quite good, but they don't come out as much as they used to, no money, same old story....

Hi Laura not sure if I have congratulated you yet on the birth of your little girl .. Well done she is so very beautiful !!
Hope you are settling well and enjoying having another little one around the house :)
Xxxx

It is brilliant having another little one in the house. My DD and DS are so happy with her. They run up the hall every morning to see her and kiss her. Very cute!

Oh Laura you poor thing.. Dunno how I'd cope with that.. I don't think either myself or Jonathan would be very good in that situation... Hope it clears up soon and you get some answers/treatment that can clear it... xx

She was very good all day today and last night (Monday), tonight/this morning she is doing well again. I think the answer is loads of burping, feeding upright and being held upright for 30 mins after each feed. I'm gonna go another few nights up then try putting her in her cot at night to see if it has all cleared.

Aw Laura, hope little Ellen's ok. And hope the doctor will do some investigating this time and give ye some answers. You poor thing and your husband, must be exhausting. Hugs.. xxx

We aren't too bad. Not getting to spend much time together though. We've settled on I sleep from about 7p.m till 1a.m and then he goes to bed till morning (8a.m). Means we are both getting a good stretch of sleep and the little lady is being watched at all times. Funny because I treat the middle of the night as my day time so do my laundry and cooking. Probably get more done because the other 2 kids are fast asleep lol. We are coping grand.

Oh no poor Ellen & you, how can you rest when it's like that? Were your other two prem? Is this your first term baby?? It's worth going back to the docs though, if nothing else to make sure she's actually gaining weight. Do you have health visits over there? My friends/family here always get more sense from health visitors/midwives than the docs...hope you both have a good day :)

Yeah my other 2 were premmie babies and both were kept in hospital - my son for 2 weeks, my daughter for 1 week in local hospital and 8 weeks in Crumlin Childrens hospital so we've never actually had a brand new baby at home lol, so a first for us even though its our 3rd baby. The health visitor will be out later this week to weigh her, so if she doesn't put on weight she'll do something. Our HV is very good, really compassionate and caring, very knowledgeable too.

Oh hun x I hope you're ok must be so frightening. Definitely go back to the doctors if you're not happy xxx

Gonna see how we go but if she chokes one more time I'm taking her straight in!

Yea we have a health nurse that comes to visit a couple of times after the birth...
Not had any personal experience yet but from what I've heard, they're not very good...

Ohh my health visitor is excellent. She knows all about my history, is very compassionate and seems to know her business. She was really really good with my other kids too and isn't over bearing or anything. Hopefully yours will be as good! I think they get a bad rep because people are so emotional after having a baby and often take any advice as a personal attack on how the baby is being raised as apposed to just advice iykwim.

Ahhhhh man that sounds awful and its no wonder you're so worried.

I would deffo take her back to the doctor....I know I have no experience or anything but it doesn't sounds normal/right to me??

(((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))

xxx

Thanks Joey, I am definately taking her in if she chokes one more time or if she hasn't put on any weight when the hv comes to weigh her. I think she may be turning a corner though. Haven't had any incident now since Sunday afternoon.

That's a shame, I've heard ours are quite good, but they don't come out as much as they used to, no money, same old story....

Mines is very good, as I've said above. I think once you remember that she is just there to give advice and not to interver you'll get on grand. After all these babies are ours, we know them best. We can listen to the advice and decide what will work and what won't for our babies.

Anyway can't believe my little lady is now 2 weeks old. She is just perfect and the best wee baby, although her awake time seems to be right in the middle of the night for 4ish hours. Its fine now that I'm up anyway but once we go back to bed at night time soon its gonna have to change lol. xx

D'ya know Laura am probably listening to my Mam as way back then am sure it was very different to now...
I've no idea what they are like in the area I'm living now... I don't even know where the Health Centre is.. If we'd use the same one as if I was living at home... Its only 5mins apart in the car but I dunno if Walkinstown have their own HC as apposed to using Crumlins... Guess I'll soon find out the answers to my Q's...

Hope Ellen had another good night? Glad you've found a way of feeding that seems to be helping... Will you please come stay with me for a few weeks when bubs arrives?? You can bring your kiddies n DH too... We'll just all sleep on floors and make it an adventure :D

Aww Frances you and Jonathan will be grand. You'll learn quickly and baby won't be long letting you know what she wants :rolleyes:.

Feeling abit more energetic today. Think its because I don't feel like I've to sit and stare at the little lady but can now move about and get stuff done. I've half the christmas decorations down, kitchen spotless, washing all done and put away (think the bearings are going in my washing machine so need to get someone out to fix that), bins all emptied and washed. Thats as well as feeding the 2 kids and keeping the fire going lol.

Off now to make the spag bol for the dinner and then taking down the last of the decorations in the sitting room x

Glad Ellen's feeding is better must be a relief to be able to feel that you can put her down without having to worry.
You seem to be coping amazing! How on earth you have managed to get all that done with a newborn baby and 2 other children I don't know!
Super mum or what :p
I think we will be all be asking for advise off you once our little ones are here! Xxx

Aww Frances you and Jonathan will be grand. You'll learn quickly and baby won't be long letting you know what she wants :rolleyes:.

Feeling abit more energetic today. Think its because I don't feel like I've to sit and stare at the little lady but can now move about and get stuff done. I've half the christmas decorations down, kitchen spotless, washing all done and put away (think the bearings are going in my washing machine so need to get someone out to fix that), bins all emptied and washed. Thats as well as feeding the 2 kids and keeping the fire going lol.

Off now to make the spag bol for the dinner and then taking down the last of the decorations in the sitting room x
I've said it before and i'll say it again... You. Are. Amazing!!!
You have just had a baby.. Who's been poorly.. You're on rationed sleep and you STILL have more done than I do!!! And I'm in work so should have SOMETHING done... xxx

You sound like a machine Laura, getting washing & cooking done from 1am in the morning!! Fingers crossed Ellen doesn't have anymore problems. Sounds like your husband is being a good husband & pulling his weight - all good!! Glad you've got a good HV too :)

Back