Lean mince beef?

Gemini76

I can't get extra lean mince beef here in Spain we have an Iceland and I can get lean, but wondering how many people use "lean" drain the fat (very little on this one) off and don't syn it? And how many do syn it? I do SW online so no consultant to ask?

I prefer to get mine from the butchers and he only does lean steak mince and doesn't display the fat content Eg 5% etc. There is hardly any fat that comes off it and I drain what little does. I never syn it :)

So if we drain off the fat on lean mince, it's not cheating to consider it syn free? Or would you recommend counting it as synned just to be on the safe side? I've always done this anyway as I just don't like the texture it gives anyway so while I'm starting out and winding down our pre SW cupboards, it won't be so bad for us to use the lean mince up I hope! (That stuff was expensive!)

Yes it is cheating! Some people rinse it in boiling water to try and get rid of the fat (yeuch) but even that does not make it syn free I'm afraid. To be honest the lean mince is so low in syns it's not really worth the effort.

Fair enough. I'm gonna carry on draining it but I'll be sure to count the syns. Once we've used up the stuff in the freezer though, we might as well look for extra lean. I'm assuming taste wise there's basically no difference?

Back