lean steak mince???

Hi y'all

I have loads of packs of lean steak mince in the freezer. Can you tell me if this is a free food on the red and EE plans?

Have been trying to locate extra lean mince but to no avail.

Ta!

Lean isn't free, but lots of people just cook the mince and drain off any extra fat that comes out, then counting it as extra lean.

I saw an interesting documentary this week re food and mince was featured. They tested various mince products and in some cases extra lean had more fat than lean! So I'd suggest any mince is drained off after frying, just to be cautious.

Just ensure you drain off all of the fat and you'll be fine!

We get all our meat from our local butchers and local farms and it's very very lean. I'm making homemade burgers tonight and there won't be a ounce of fat come out of them. I'll never buy from the supermarket again!

But drain it and you'll be fine xx

I find extra lean in Morrisons - I do buy it now and again, but it's much more expensive than lean, and never on special offer, so I usually get lean and drain it as others say.

Yep, I'm with the others, just drain it - extra lean is expensive.
I also get most of my meat from the butcher, he doesn't have lean/extra lean, he just has minced steak and it is lean - hardly any fat comes off it but I drain whatever does come out.
I've never had a problem doing this weight loss wise so I don't think it hinders losses really!

yeah there is a loophole in the law that says something like if you don't call it extra lean mince or something then it does not have to be extra lean. They tested one of sainsburys lean minces claiming to be extra lean, however it had more fat than the standard economy mince!! crazy!! I get tesco extra lean mince, I found it quite hard to find, it was right at the top of the minced beef section at my local tesco.

i normally do my shop at asda or somerfield and couldn't find it...

I'll follow the advice of y'all here and cook and drain. Thanks to all for comments!

Drain and rinse

hi

I agree with all of you, i usually fry my mince off in the frying pan and then stick in a collinder and rinse with boiling hot water a couple of times just to make sure...

i know they say you should buy extra lean but it is expensive and others i have spoke to in class say that they use lean mince instead.. and are still losing pounds..

rather lose the pounds on my waist then from pocket. ha ha

Oooh, I'm not sure I'd rinse it with water..... think it will be sufficient to drain it surely?

I put a kettle full of boiling water over beef mince while it's in the collender.

If I do lamb mince I cook it then stick it in the fridge and then the fat solidifies and it's easy to remove.

In Asda quite often they sell packs of Extra Lean Beef Mince for £1 a pack - I usually stock up when I see this offer and freeze as many as I can cram in as quite a saving - the offer is not on at mo as checked yesterday as only got one pack left :(

Jill

Hi Poppyowner, thanks for that. I did an asda shop online this morning and didn't see any extra lean mince on their site, but perhaps I missed the listing :)

Back