Dismiss Notice
Welcome to MiniMins! Be sure to check out our complete listing of diets on the front page including Slimming World, Exante, Weight Watchers, Cambridge Weight Plan, Herbalife, and hundreds more.

Learning a language

Discussion in 'Slimming World Off Topic' started by Devon Dolce, 24 May 2010 Social URL.

1. Devon Dolce

Devon Dolce 1lb at a time!

Start Weight:
    16st7lb
    Current Weight:
    15st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st10lb(4.33%)
    I'm just completing the free 12 week online BBC course for Italian but wondered if anyone else has learnt a language (since leaving school!) and what package you used?! Grazie! xx

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. fillymum

fillymum synful soul

Start Weight:
    107kg
    Current Weight:
    85kg
    Goal Weight:
    79kg
    Lost(%):
    22kg(20.56%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I came to live in Spain28 years ago and did not speak Spanish. As a natural chatterbox who loves people I had to learn to speak Spanish and fast. I got myself a Spanish boyfriend........it worked !!! Not quite what you are looking for I know, sorry. I did have the BBC set of Spanish Language Lessons to help me on my way . They were quite good fun.

I now work part time as an interpreter,

Sue xx

4. Loopeylou

Loopeylou Gold Member

Start Weight:
    18st12lb
    Current Weight:
    18st5.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st6.5lb(2.46%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    We've just purchased Michel Thomas's French CD's on a recomendation. Were off to France twice this year, a long weekend for my birthday next month and then 18 days in summer holiday's.
    It claims that in 8 hours you can speak basic French, I can still remember bits from school 20 years ago but want a bit more than that now. The plan is we'll listen to it as we drive there :D
    xx

5. minx

minx Full Member

Start Weight:
    11st6lb
    Current Weight:
    11st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st11lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    i went to live in italy for 3 months during my nurse training, lived with 3 italian guy students. never used an actual course, wish i had cos i had to learn the hard way! upside is i can swear really, really well in italian :D

6. MichelinMummy

MichelinMummy Full Member

At the moment I am learning Russian in a night class but the course is loosely based on the BBC Talk Russian course.

Ive been doing 2 hours a week since the end of September and now have a fair grasp on the basics and can speak it fairly fluently.

I absolutely adore it - so go for it people!

7. Happy Holidays

Happy Holidays Gold Member

Start Weight:
    9st11lb
    Current Weight:
    8st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st9lb
    Lost(%):
    1st2lb(11.68%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I've been trying on & off for several years now to learn Spanish. Slowly but surely it's sinking it, I've tried sooo many cd's & tapes & did go to class once but it ended after 8 weeks.

My problem is OH just won't practice with me & I've nobody else to 'talk' to & when we go to Spain they speak English:eek:

I'm currently doing the BBC Languages & finding it quite good & easy to learn. I especially like the links to TV programmes.

8. Cloggy

Cloggy Mostly Harmless

Start Weight:
    15st8lb
    Current Weight:
    14st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st2lb
    Lost(%):
    1st6lb(9.17%)
    Diet:
    Slimming world
    I would like to begin by saying I hate languages, some people are naturals but not me :argh:

I have been living in Holland for some time now and I do speak (fluent) Dutch, but it took me several years of evening classes to do so.

I would like to applaud you guys it's great to see people taking the trouble to learn another language. :clap:

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.