Lentils

Lea C

I would like to try lentils but have absolutely no idea what to do with them? Any suggestions? Thanks xx

I use them in shepherds pie so that I only need half the meat. Check out the recipe in the BBC Good Food healthy app! Great in a curry too :)

I have a really good dhal recipe..

198g/7oz dry red split lentils1 onion, finely sliced
4 garlic cloves, crushed
568ml/1 pint water
½ tsp whole cumin seeds
1 tsp crushed coriander seeds
1 teaspoon of chilli flakes or half a red chilli, very finely chopped (more if you like it spicier)
½ tsp finely grated root ginger
Pinch of salt
2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves

1. Pick over the red lentils to remove any gritty bits, then wash them in cold water and drain well. Set aside.
2. Put the onion, garlic and several squishes of Fry Light in a pan and then cook over a very low heat until the onions are tender and golden.
3. Add the cumin, coriander seeds, chilli and ginger. Stir well and cook gently for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add the lentils, salt and water, and bring to the boil. Cover the pan, reduce the heat to a bare simmer and cook for about 1-1¼ hours, until the lentils are cooked and tender. Check the pan occasionally and add more water if the lentils and onions are starting to stick to the base of the pan.
5. Stir well and serve hot, sprinkled with the thinly sliced chilli and chopped coriander leaves.

Hope that helps. You can serve it over rice.

I make a mean carrot, leek and lentil soup! Chop some carrots and leeks, sweat the leeks down in some frylight, add carrots, some veg stock and lentils, I usually do mine in a slow cooker and leave it to cook overnight. Blend it down and serve with cracked black pepper!

Back