like a zebra with a fat tummy!!!!!

Discussion in 'Slimming World' started by jane76, 2 October 2010 Social URL.

1. jane76

jane76 Silver Member

Start Weight:
    14st4lb
    Current Weight:
    14st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st3lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    zenical
    that is how my 4.5yr old daughter just described what i looked like in my new dress:eek: i know she didnt mean to hurt my feelings and shes only a baby and doesnt know what shes saying really but.....

it all came about tonight when i was trying on my new dress that i bought to wear to my goddaughters christening tomorrow she was in her room so i went through wearing the dress and she looked at me and said "oh no mummy you look like a zebra with a fat tummy" im totally flummoxed by this and now dont feel confident in the dress anymore:( i had to call my mum and she came over with my brother and sister in law to reassure me that i look lovely in it and not to worry myself.

this feels so stupid to be writing this about a comment from a child but one of the reasons im losing weight is for my daughters so her comment has made me actually think about how she sees me....not the zebra bit lol (that was a result on the vertical stripe on the dress) but the fat tummy bit:( and the thing is sometimes i wear something and she tells me i look beautiful in it :) so i suppose i was expecting her to tell me that and im a bit taken aback about her view on me:( i thought the dress was very flattering on me and my mum and sister had both said it was lovely on when i first tried it on and i know that they wouldnt have let me buy it if its wasnt nice on......like the 20 dresses before lol

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. laura2481

laura2481 Silver Member

Start Weight:
    14st11.5lb
    Current Weight:
    13st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st11.5lb(12.29%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Oh dear :( try not to feel too bad she is only little and maybe didn't mean it the way it comes? It is hard though... I was once getting ready to go out and asked my boyfriend (now fiance!) if what I was wearing made me look fat. Everyone knows the correct answer to this. His answer?- 'well, it doesn't make you look thin' I felt great going out :rolleyes:

4. sweet83

sweet83 Full Member

Start Weight:
    18st10.5lb
    Current Weight:
    14st2.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Lost(%):
    4st8lb(24.38%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Try not to took it too much to heart Jane. If your little one is anything like the other 4-5 yr olds i know then she will have a very active imagination.

I am sure you look beautiful im your dress as your mum and sister both agree and i am sure they'd be very honest with you. xx

5. blissfulbabe

blissfulbabe Full Member

Start Weight:
    21st7lb
    Current Weight:
    21st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    17st12lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    At that age my daughter only thought I looked beautiful if I was wearing bright pink or something shiny, anything else was treated with a look of disdain - but then, she believed that we should all aspire to dress like Barbie!

Kids have a funny way of looking at the world, especially when they are young. I'd trust your Mum if I was you.

I hope you have a lovely time at the christening.

6. shell_y

shell_y Silver Member

Start Weight:
    10st11lb
    Current Weight:
    9st5.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st12lb
    Lost(%):
    1st5.5lb(12.91%)
    Diet:
    SW
    My nephews tell my sister that she looks fat and needs to lose weight, shes a size 12 and not fat at all....kids have very odd views sometimes x

7. MargyParker

MargyParker My belly this will be!

Start Weight:
    10st10lb
    Current Weight:
    9st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st1lb(10%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    wondering if your daughter has a book with a zebra in it and it is association?

8. chubbyemma

chubbyemma Silver Member

Children dont see things the same as we do, they dont prejudge so dont be to upset by her comment, bless her.

but look at the positive anyway, you doing something about your weight and every day is a day closer to been how you want to be.

bet you look fab in your dress, have a lovely day at christening

9. beekeeper

beekeeper Full Member

Start Weight:
    14st13lb
    Current Weight:
    13st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st7lb
    Lost(%):
    1st13lb(12.92%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    My granddaughter aged around 3 was watching me put on my (subtle, I thought) makeup before we went out and said "That's a nice tiger face, Nanny" (She had been to her first face painting event the week before). I'm looking at your current weight and guessing that you look as much like a zebra with a fat tummy as I did a tiger.

10. time2bslim

time2bslim Just doing it this time

Start Weight:
    13st7lb
    Current Weight:
    12st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    1st5lb(10.05%)
    hope the christening went well and that you did wear the dress which probably looked nothing like how your DD described you.

My cousin the other day said 'I can really tell you have lost weight now, you no longer look like dawn french' - she didn't mean 'size' wise, but I didn't realise that she had seen me and associated me with Dawn French.

11. dreamaholic

dreamaholic Silver Member

Start Weight:
    11st12.5lb
    Current Weight:
    10st9.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st3lb(10.21%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    don't take your daughter's word literally and seriously, was your dress black and white? that's probably where that came from!

12. Sparky67

Sparky67 Full Member

Start Weight:
    19st5lb
    Current Weight:
    15st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st11lb
    Lost(%):
    3st8lb(18.45%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I hope that wore the dress and that you felt great in it - I'm sure that your mum and sister had a better idea of whether the dress looked good on you than your daughter - at that age as other have said they have some odd ideas!

13. jane76

jane76 Silver Member

Start Weight:
    14st4lb
    Current Weight:
    14st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st3lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    zenical
    thanks everyone for your kind comments i went to bed straight after posting last night and was at the christening today so this is me just getting round to replying. i wore the dress even after being told again in the morning lol.

the reason she was thinking zebra was because my dress had black and gray vertical stripes on it so in her world that was a perfectly reasonable statement to make lol

if i could work out how to upload a photo to here i would so you could all see me and confirm or deny the rumour lol xx

14. Derbynanny

Derbynanny Gold Member

Current Weight:
    11st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Diet:
    SW
  15. missgalaxy

missgalaxy Yummy Mummy! xx

Start Weight:
    248lb
    Current Weight:
    248lb
    Lost(%):
    0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    SW!
    Kids eh???

When we were away my son said to me 'mam that dress is pretty but your legs are very wobbly and your tummy is a bit fat' - I nearly died on the spot lol!!!

However, kids are innocent and unfortuanlty say it as they see it!! Try not to take it to heart which I know is easier said than done. My sons comment has made me more determined to lose weight and be a proud mummy!! xx

16. Pheonix2010

Pheonix2010 Silver Member

Start Weight:
    12st10lb
    Current Weight:
    10st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    2st0lb(15.73%)
    Diet:
    Slim and Save
    My 4 yr old says to me "I want a big tummy like you mummy "
    Yeah thanks buddy
    and not sure why he would want a big tummy like me anyway but they all do it and it doesnt matter whether you are thin, fat , short or tall, children will always make comments
    He said to my mum the other weekend , "youve got really small boobies nanny" ....so we cant really win can we ??

17. missgalaxy

missgalaxy Yummy Mummy! xx

Start Weight:
    248lb
    Current Weight:
    248lb
    Lost(%):
    0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    SW!
    :8855::8855: xx Kids - dont ya just love 'em!!!!!

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.