LL newspaper article

I think there are many ways of looking at this, and yes, she drank the water in contradiction to LL guidelines, unfortunatly had not been able to drink it through the day and thought that she had better do it before she went to bed.

It went tragically wrong.

However, people will slate anything that causes a death, and I can state that should I die from anything, my family would put out a warning, they wouldnt want anyone else to go through the pain and suffering that the poor family is going through.

Of course people will look to blame, its human nature. My daugher had an accident with a very well known make of toy at the age of 1, she was taken to hospital, this toy was used by thousands, and my daughter was in the minority that it harmed, did I blame the manufacturer, your damn right I did, looking back, it probably wasnt their fault, but my daughter ended up in hospital. I slated them to high heaven, because we look for an outlet to bring the anger to.

Instead of slating the papers, and the poor family, which has gone through absolute hell, lets be proactive and make sure people are aware that there can be errors made, by people with the best intentions. Lets make sure that new people know what the rules are and why.

The lady did not go out to kill herself, she wanted to be slim, thats something we all understand.

Last edited:
Tange said:
Lets face it 18 months ago if someone told us we would live without food for 6 - 10 months what would we have said.

While I agree with what you have said, this is precisely the problem; without knowing the details of the program, it WOULD sound like madness / deprivation. Only through reading about it and understanding the process will it make sense and not seem so "dangerous", and yet everyone who knows nothing more than you've quoted about LL are perfectly happy to slate it, deride it etc.

brunetteandred said:
The problem is, some people cannot manage water over the day, then panic and think 'I'd better get my x litres in now'. I fear this is what she may have done

and yet the point remains that she should have read the guidelines and KNOWN not to drink that much in a short space of time, regardless of how much she didn't have during the day.

Also, by saying "The problem is, some people cannot manage water over the day", I'm sorry, but I find it hard to imagine anyone who would go for the entire day without having a drink at all; nothing to do with being on LL, people who eat normally still need to drink!!!

Pre-LL, I'm sure she would have found time to drink Coke's, snack on things, eat her lunch etc. hell, I defy anyone to not have a lunch-break while at work, it's a LEGAL requirement, so I fail to see how she couldn't manage to have any water during the day at all, sounds like a shovel-full of BS to me.

I do feel some slight sympathy for her family (though it's very hard to when all they are are stories in a newspaper, they're not "real" to you personally) but the point remains that it is entirely her own fault.

And the reason I get so angry about stuff like this is that LighterLife is giving me my life back, it is the best thing I have ever chosen to do, and when uninformed arrogant people and extremeist-propaganda newspapers start slating it when they dont know the first thing about it, well I really hate it :mad:

cOULDN'T AGREE MORE PETE

Yep. I'm with you. I had "WORDS" with my Mum on the phone this morning when she said "You (LL) got bad publicity in the newspaper today" and told me a woman had died because of Lighter Life.
I said "Look at me and countless others, 10 months on, life transformed -good publcity, Where are the newspapers for that?"
She's not supposed to be one of the gullable ones who read the papers!!

I'd had an argument with my OH the night before this came out as he thought that I was being stupid for wanting to do it. The following morning I walk downstairs to him watching this story on sky news. Talk about amunition!!!!!!

I am happy to say though that I do start a week on Tues and although he has said he will support me, he is is not 100% pleased that I am doing it. To be honest, I don't care what he thinks. I am doing it for me and me alone, although with the side effect of helping our relationship in all respects.

I do hate to admit it, I was totally against my sister doing it when she started in Aug but that is because I knew nothing about it. I said I would rather loose weight by properly by sticking to Slimming World. But seeing the weight come off her and not off me made me look into it more. Over the coming months, I read the good, the bad and the ugly and came to the conclusion that it is the diet/life changing process for me.

So there you have it. One can certainly change their opinion :)

Back