local anesthetic and SS

hope someone can help you out.....I have a slight problem with my tooth and hoping it will be sorted without needing to be pulled.

Last edited:
Probably best to get an answer from someone who works in the medical field. I'd recommend that you call your GP or speak to a nurse and let them know you are on a VLCD.
Personally I'd go up a few steps just in case.

It would be awesome if a CDC knows the answer to this as I am going under general soon (well probably not that soon knowing the NHS) and I would like to know if I can do Cambridge.

thanks

It would be awesome if a CDC knows the answer to this as I am going under general soon (well probably not that soon knowing the NHS) and I would like to know if I can do Cambridge.

thanks
General you have to come off SS hun I'm afraid! For what I know you have to come off at least a week before hand and 3 months afterwards I'm afraid (had my gallbladder removed last summer and this is what I had to do).:eek:
Sorry I don't know about local anesthetic though!

Thanks Kelly for your quick but depressing answer...

My mum has had 6 fillings whilst on CD (over 2-3 weeks) and she has been fine. It did make her abit more tired/weaker than usual but she had a CD choc bar or her CD shake about 1/2 an hour before the appointment and if she was feeling really weak after she had a SS+ potrion of chicken or fish.

I will be having a filling done next Tuesday and will probably have an SS+ portion of fish or just my usual shake before the appointment. I have asked the dentist if its ok to have the anaethetic on an empty stomach and she said it should be ok. I didnt tell her i'm doing CD though.

Maybe you could give your dentist a ring or pop in and have a word with them.

xx

Hi

Im a nurse and would say it would have no effect for local anaesthetic!
You should be ok with SS but best to ring your dentist to confirm.
It is only when you are having a operation via general anaesthetic that it will be a problem as it can affect the different levels of fluid etc in the body.

The decision is entirely up to you but you should be safe to have the fillings done.

Regards
Lou x

Also you would have to be starved to have a general anaesthetic as you are nil by mouth! The anaestetic wuld have little effect with a full stomach!
Thi is different for local anaestesia but you should still ask.

Hi Jacqui, I had surgery on my lower back yesterday with Local Anaesthetic. I took my CD Tertas along with me ready. They looked at me like I was mad and forced me to eat sanwiches and drink tea! lol. They told me I couldn't leave until I did! I'd ask your dentist x

I think I am going to ask my surgeon to extract my teeth under local rather than general.

I can't open my mouth very wide which is why they were going to do it under general but unless they were planning to break my jaw whilst I slept I'm sure it wont make much difference....

Sorry for crashing your thread but i also have to have an embedded wisdom tooth out soon. I have been told that i only need a local but am very, very scared of the dentist so they will probably sedate me first. Does anyone know if its safe to have a sedation whilst on ss?

General you have to come off SS hun I'm afraid! For what I know you have to come off at least a week before hand and 3 months afterwards I'm afraid (had my gallbladder removed last summer and this is what I had to do).:eek:
Sorry I don't know about local anesthetic though!

Kelly, I'm doing Atkins and am therefore in ketosis but am eating meat and veg. I'm having keyhole surgery under general anaesthetic at the end of April. Do you know if I need to come off Atkins then? And do you know why it's said you can resume for 3 months afterwards? I'm told I'll be fully healed in 2 weeks and can even start trying for a baby then so I can't see why I'd need to wait 3 months - I'd be interested to know the reason. Thanks.

Three months is CD guidelines and a CDC cannot supply you with packs for 3 months after surgery without your doctors written permisson to do so due to it actually taking your body 3 months to completely heal (apparently it's something to do with your cells taking 3 months to regenerate fully, don't know the full medical explination I'm afraid). Don't know about Atkins I'm afraid hun but it's not being in ketosis that causes problems with CD it's to do with your body needing the calories to help it heal (you obviously don't get nearly as many with CD as you do with Atkins).
2 weeks after my op I was only just starting to get up and about myself so don't know how exactly you're planning to get up to the baby making!
Who told you 2 weeks hun and if you don't mind me asking what are you having done (mine was keyhole as well)?

You need to change to 1200 cals at least a week preferably two before extraction of teeth or an operation.

Afterwards for extraction if there are stitches a minimum of 1200 for two weeks or whilst still using antibiotics.

If sedation is involved probably a month before any programme, this should be okayed with your GP.

Your CDC needs to clarify this with Head Office as all cases vary.

I had a lady have a tooth out a few weeks ago, not with sedation, and she had to do 1200 for two weeks before resuming SS.

Re ops in general the rule is 1200 two weeks prior to surgery then three months after surgery before resuming any programme. In some cases, however, you can resume after your post op check with the agreement of your GP and CD Head Office. CDC's will contact Head Office on your behalf.

Re fillings it is advisable to be on a food programme as some injections contain adrenalin and on SS this can make you feel very unwell.

Who told you 2 weeks hun and if you don't mind me asking what are you having done (mine was keyhole as well)?

Thanks. The top of my stomach doesn't close which means I puke most days as every time I bend over or lie down my stomach contents flood into my mouth. It made my first pregnancy a total nightmare and I've been advised to get it fixed before trying for baby no 2. It's meant to be a really simple op and is done by keyhole surgery- they just wrap a bit of stomach round your oesophagus so you can't puke and so that your throat is protected. I'm told I should be eating normally within 2 days and totally healed within 2 weeks as they don't cut anything internal, they just tie it up a bit so all that has to heal is the small external keyhole cut - of course that's if it all goes to plan. Am planning to lose some weight before trying to conceive but my obstetrician is adamant that it would be safe to try 2 weeks after the op and I've had excellent treatment from him so I trust him.
If it's not about ketosis, then I might be OK to continue on Atkins. I will check anyway with the surgeon and the obstetrician to be on the safe side. Only op I've ever had before was an emergency C-section and I was in agony for a fair while after that.
I'm a bit worried now that you've said keyhole gallbladder surgery was so painful afterwards.........but then you were having something cut out and I'm not so maybe it will be easier. I don't have much choice though, I need this surgery for quality of life. Being sick every night is driving me mad and I feel rotten most of the day too. Tried meds for it but they made my hair fall out!!

Thanks for the replies. My CDC had a reply from the medical staff at Cambridge that said I should step up a week before to ensure that I wasn't in ketosis and not return to SS until everything was properly healed.

Thanks for the replies, it's funny how so many people have the same concerns on here.

I had to go to the emergency dentist on Sunday and have an abscess drained and tooth extraction under local anaesthetic. I didn't suffer any problems other than looking like a vampire for a bit!

I had actually had the abscess the week before and was given a course of anti-biotics but it came back within 4 days. I'm wondering if it is because I stuck to SS rigidly and didn't have any protein or anything.

Back