Lokshen bake- anyone know recipe?

Lucia Lucia

Silver Member
There is a jewish recipe I used to do for a pasta pudding bake that tasted like bread a butter pudding. I know it had in it vermicelli, eggs,vanilla essence,mixed spices, cinnamon,saltanas, sweetner but I cant remember how to put it all together or the quantities.

Anyone else done this one before?

and I do know the pasta/cous cous syn debate thing. I am not looking for the syn values or a debate just the recipe if anyone has it please :D

Kugel

Kugel is another dish that encompasses several different things, and the relationship between them is hard to define. The word "kugel" is generally translated as "pudding," although it does not mean pudding in the Jell-O brand dairy dessert sense; more in the sense of bread pudding. The word "kugel" is pronounced "koo-gel" (with the "oo" in "book"; not to rhyme with "google") or "ki-gel," depending on where your grandmother comes from.

Kugel can be either a side dish or a dessert. As a side dish, it is a casserole of potatoes, eggs and onions. As a desert, it is usually made with noodles and various fruits and nuts in an egg-based pudding. Kugel made with noodles is called lokshen kugel. Below is my recipe for a noodle kugel.

3 eggs
1/4 cup melted margarine or butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 lb. wide noodles
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup almonds
1/2 cup chopped apples
Beat the eggs thoroughly in a large mixing bowl. Add the butter, sugar and cinnamon beat until thoroughly blended. Cook the noodles and rinse them in cold water. Do not drain them too thoroughly. Put the noodles into the egg mixture and stir until the noodles are coated with the mixture. Let them sit in the refrigerator for about 15-30 minutes, so the noodles absorb some of the egg mixture. Stir again.

Put about half of the egg-noodle mixture into a casserole dish. Put the raisins, almonds and apples on top. Put the remaining egg-noodle mixture on top of that. Bake for about 30-45 minutes at 350 degrees, until the egg part is firm and the noodles on top are crispy. Can be served warm or cold.

Thanks so much, I can def make this SW friendly from your recipe, thanks again.

Yes, will do eye.

I am jewish and this is one of my all time favs............most definately easily adapted to SW........:D

Enjoy :drool:

Going to have a play around with it and let you know what works best. Butter ( sub frylight) and almonds can be ommitted. Sugar can be replaced with splenda. When I made it before I think I used vermacelli. Will have a go once I have been shopping. I am having a friend over for coffee and going to do this instead of cake.

My mum uses jam and splenda so you can use low sugar jam

Her recipe says mix it all together until it is a sloppy mess !

sainsbury's do fantastic kosher noodles for soups/lokshen etc. but they're no cheaper than just buying vermicelli.

Did this turn out nice, Lucia? It sounds nommy!

was fab will post recipe later

Lovely, thank you!

I used a a square pyrex dish about 25 cms square.

7 "nests" of vermacelli (cooked and drained)

4 eggs

30g saltanas

200ml skimmed milk

2 teaspoons vanilla essence

4 tablespoons spenda

loads of cinnamon about 3 teaspoons

spray bottom of dish with frylight. Put half the cooked vermacelli in the bottom and sprinkle on the saltanas and spinkle 2 teaspoons of cinamon on the top and then put the other half of the vermacelli on top of that. Mix together the milk and eggs and vanilla essence and splenda and pour over the pasta.Sprinle the last of the cinamon over the top. Cook at about 140 degrees til all set and a bit brown on top. Chill and cut into squares. It is very like bread pudding.

Back