lose 15 stone can it be done without surgery?

ikkle87

Silver Member
Hi Guys, I usually loiter in the slimming world section but am branching out.

When I got weighed on the 11th February I weighed 29stone 2. I want to lose 15 stone in total I think. Some of my family are right behind me and some don't seem to think I can lose weight. I'm doing Cambridge Diet (step 3 but my evening meal tends to be a sw one within the CD allowance) the thing is I have a hernia, a big nasty horrible hernia that was the result of a csection gone wrong. Now obviously there is little point me having it repaired at my current size as it's likely to be unsuccessful but both my GP and Consultant are pushing for me to have a gastric bypass as they don't think I can lose enough weight myself. I need to lose at least 10 stone to be considered for the hernia repair. The extra 5 stone is for me!

A couple of years ago I did slimming world and I lost 8 stone, poor health, a pregnancy and then being ill since means I've regained it all plus an extra 3 stone but the fact I lost 8 stone before makes me think I can do it myself but the professionals don't seem to agree.

What are your experiences? Can it be done? Have you done it? Would you opt for surgery if you knew you would be eligible for funding? Am I just being stubborn by not wanting to have WLS?

hi hun
there or people on here who have lost the weight you are wanting to lose tracy who is lovely as lost over 9st missmiff wow over 10 and still going please stay and join in we are all here to support you i myself have between 9-10 st to lose so will be here for quite a long time x x

chezz said:
hi hun
there or people on here who have lost the weight you are wanting to lose tracy who is lovely as lost over 9st missmiff wow over 10 and still going please stay and join in we are all here to support you i myself have between 9-10 st to lose so will be here for quite a long time x x

Thanks for the write up Chezz!! :)

Hi, I'm the aforementioned Tracy, lol. Of course you can do it without surgery! I think I could have qualified for surgery, with a BMI of around 46, but I would never have considered it because I want to learn to control my eating, not make myself incapable of doing it normally - I love my food too much! There are other things to consider as well, such as rapid weight loss of the sort you get with surgery or a VLCD being more likely to lead to major issues with excess skin, which the NHS won't routinely remove. Definitely something to carefully consider, as I know it can be quite horrendous. I suppose in your case it's a matter of weighing up your desire to lose weight quickly in order to get your hernia repaired, against the problems inherent in large, rapid weight loss, and only you can decide that. I've lost 10 stone in 2.5 years using calorie counting. I was initially prescribed Orlistat by my doctor too, but I didn't find it helped that much, but it's another option to consider. I have a number of health issues which prevent me from exercising, so my losses have been fairly slow, but I got there in the end, and my skin's fine (a little bit wobbly in parts, but nothing that worries me!). So I'd say yes, you can do it for sure!! :) xx

Im with Chezz on this one, Tracy is amazing and provides me with great inspiration. Her, miss miff, gatzer etc show it can be done, so I would definitely have a go before opting for surgery. Good luck :D

Sent from my GT-I9195 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Superfree Princess said:
Im with Chezz on this one, Tracy is amazing and provides me with great inspiration. Her, miss miff, gatzer etc show it can be done, so I would definitely have a go before opting for surgery. Good luck :D

Sent from my GT-I9195 using MiniMins.com mobile app

You're making me blush! Thanks, hon. :) But you're right about the fact that it really can be done, and there's a variety of ways to do it - Miss Miff, for instance has had fantastic success using Paul McKenna's hypnotic gastric band, whereas I tried that and it wasn't right for me, but calorie counting is; you just need to find your own way and hey presto! :) xx

I did - out of interest - ask my doctor about surgery. He said that they look for you to be trying to lose weight for an year with no real loss (and weigh ins at least once a month in that time) and show that you've made a real effort before they consider it. Not sure how true it is, but it's at least put me in the mind frame to see what I can do. Surgery was something that interested me - a little bit - but also terrifies me too!

I had 11 stones to lose in the beginning and have nearly lost 4 now.

I'm following slimming world and wouldn't go for a gastric.

Losing weight needs planning, determination and perseverance.

Course you can do it without the surgery.

good on you princess you have done great x x

Back