Losing 9-10 stone in a year

Hi everyone,

First time posting on here.
Fisrtly wanted to say thanks for all the inspirational posts I've read so far - its really given me a boost and strengthened my resolve that I can finally lose weight!

I've been overweight to some degree all my life, but really started to pile weight on after finding out I had type 1 diabetes (@ age 18) and I didn't really change my lifestyle.

Now Im two weeks off my 30th birthday and I'm the heaviest I have ever been at 24 stone.

I've booked a holiday for June 2012 and I'm as determined as I have ever been to make sure I go feeling confident about myself for the first time in 15 years.

A few years ago I followed the Atkins diet for 5 months and managed to lose around 6 stone, but it didn't stay off - I don't think I could do the atkins diet again...it made me feel ill a lot and I found it too expensive to be creative with meals.

I'm thinking about slimming world or weight watchers and starting to take the Xenical my doctor has giving me, but I'm not sure which road to start off on...

I just wanted to ask about the goals & achievements others have set in similar time frames and how they did it?

Thanks
Steve

To be honest 9 - 10 stones in a year on a diet like WW/SW is very unlikely. To get that kind of loss youd need to do a VLCD. The average losses on them are around half a stone a month, as a man youd probably lose a bit more but 9/10 is probably over ambitious.

To be honest 9 - 10 stones in a year on a diet like WW/SW is very unlikely. To get that kind of loss youd need to do a VLCD. The average losses on them are around half a stone a month, as a man youd probably lose a bit more but 9/10 is probably over ambitious.

I thought so too tbh.
But as people close to me have tried to convince me, its not the time it takes - its just the fact that I have to get it done.
For me, my extra weight has led to a deep seated feeling of self-hate and even as I type this (and I feel shallow just saying it) I cannot go any further than saying that the driving force is I want to lose weight to look better and feel normal about how others see me.

Ive a friend who has been averaging 2/3 a week weight loss using slimming world and taking a 2.5 per week average, I'm sure I could aim for a 7/8 stone loss in that time.

Have you tried anything like Xenical?
Im scared to try it until I'm exactly sure of what I'm doing as the side-effects look pretty daunting...

Hi Carlin,

There is a young man named Ben who has a diary on here. He posts under the name hbb. He often posts in the shout box. He has lost a lot of weight on WW and is maintaining.

There is also another man on this forum who posts under the name greeva. He lost quite a bit of weight doing Cambridge and is now maintaining (his partner did or is doing WW was the VLCD did not suit her).

I lost about 4 1/2 stone on LL. Kept it off for some time. Regained about 1/2. I started working to relose that weight in January and lost about 1.5 stone. I have been using CD 810/1000 (packs and food). During the same time my husband has lost 3 stone using the South Beach diet. He only had about 3.5 stone to lose, is over 50, and only 5'6".

I think if you follow WW, you will lose a lot of weight fairly fast initially, then your losses will slow down but be steady at the recommended no more than 2 to 3 pounds a week... until you closer to a bmi of 25. Then the losses will slow down as it takes fewer calories to operate your body.

However, instead of focussing on your long-term goal... I recommend that you focus on each 1/2 stone. Celebrate those 1/2 stones (as WW UK does) and those will add up over time.

Good Luck and welcome to the forum!

Mel

Hi Carlin,

There is a young man named Ben who has a diary on here. He posts under the name hbb. He often posts in the shout box. He has lost a lot of weight on WW and is maintaining.

There is also another man on this forum who posts under the name greeva. He lost quite a bit of weight doing Cambridge and is now maintaining (his partner did or is doing WW was the VLCD did not suit her).

I lost about 4 1/2 stone on LL. Kept it off for some time. Regained about 1/2. I started working to relose that weight in January and lost about 1.5 stone. I have been using CD 810/1000 (packs and food). During the same time my husband has lost 3 stone using the South Beach diet. He only had about 3.5 stone to lose, is over 50, and only 5'6".

I think if you follow WW, you will lose a lot of weight fairly fast initially, then your losses will slow down but be steady at the recommended no more than 2 to 3 pounds a week... until you closer to a bmi of 25. Then the losses will slow down as it takes fewer calories to operate your body.

However, instead of focussing on your long-term goal... I recommend that you focus on each 1/2 stone. Celebrate those 1/2 stones (as WW UK does) and those will add up over time.

Good Luck and welcome to the forum!

Mel

Thanks Mel,

some good advice there!
I'll have a look for the diaries you mentioned.

i think youre right with focussing on half-stone targets - it is more than a bit daunting to think about losing 9 stone :eek:

Hi Carlin,

If you get your posts up to 50 you can private message (pm) people and I think you get more signature space and can add a weight loss ticker. There are tutorials for almost everything on this forum. If you go to the homepage and look in the box at the top -- you should see a tutorial link. Tutorials - MiniMins.com - Weight Loss Support Forum

To boost your posts you could go under All Diets, then Chit Chat (way down the page) Chit Chat - MiniMins.com - Weight Loss Support Forum and join a game or two (like the movie title or song game). When these threads are active you can really add up your posts fast. But beware... I found the song game very addictive!

Here are the links to Ben's and Greeva's diaries:

http://www.minimins.com/weight-loss-diary/179743-bens-big-battle-junk-food.html

Ben hasn't posted in this for about three weeks, but reading through it may help you. If you leave a post he may read it and get back to you. Once you have enough posts to send a PM you could message him. He is a very friendly and helpful young man.

http://www.minimins.com/cd-weight-loss-diaries/185536-cd-newbie-diary.html

Greeva is still posting and he seems like a very good guy, too. reading through his diary might be helpful. http://www.minimins.com/cd-weight-loss-diaries/185536-cd-newbie-diary.html

Also, there is a man on this sight who has lost a lot of weight and has been maintaining it for sometime. I'll need to look for his info.

Once you have left a post on thread -- you are a subscriber. If you click on usercp it will list all the threads you have posted on... I periodically go through and delete inactive threads or ones I am not interested in following.

I hope you do not mind me giving you so much info. I had to figure some of this out, but a few helpful people like Jim gave me advice early on. The moderators on this site are very helpful, too.

Mel

Hi Carlin,

If you get your posts up to 50 you can private message (pm) people and I think you get more signature space and can add a weight loss ticker. There are tutorials for almost everything on this forum. If you go to the homepage and look in the box at the top -- you should see a tutorial link. Tutorials - MiniMins.com - Weight Loss Support Forum

To boost your posts you could go under All Diets, then Chit Chat (way down the page) Chit Chat - MiniMins.com - Weight Loss Support Forum and join a game or two (like the movie title or song game). When these threads are active you can really add up your posts fast. But beware... I found the song game very addictive!

Here are the links to Ben's and Greeva's diaries:

http://www.minimins.com/weight-loss-diary/179743-bens-big-battle-junk-food.html

Ben hasn't posted in this for about three weeks, but reading through it may help you. If you leave a post he may read it and get back to you. Once you have enough posts to send a PM you could message him. He is a very friendly and helpful young man.

http://www.minimins.com/cd-weight-loss-diaries/185536-cd-newbie-diary.html

Greeva is still posting and he seems like a very good guy, too. reading through his diary might be helpful. http://www.minimins.com/cd-weight-loss-diaries/185536-cd-newbie-diary.html

Also, there is a man on this sight who has lost a lot of weight and has been maintaining it for sometime. I'll need to look for his info.

Once you have left a post on thread -- you are a subscriber. If you click on usercp it will list all the threads you have posted on... I periodically go through and delete inactive threads or ones I am not interested in following.

I hope you do not mind me giving you so much info. I had to figure some of this out, but a few helpful people like Jim gave me advice early on. The moderators on this site are very helpful, too.

Mel

Hi Mel,

Thanks very much for all the info!
I'm going to start reading through it all now!

Reading so many positive stories is certainly helping! :)

Thanks again

Hi Carlin,

I know that it helped me to read how so many other people were able to make it work. The before and after pictures can be very inspirational, too.

Mel

Hi Carlins,

I just wanted to say hello and show my support. I am only a couple of stone lighter than you and i'm only 5"5 so i know how you feel. Post whenever you feel down and there will always be someone here that knows and understands how you are feeling and you'll get lots of support.

Hope to see you round the forum

xxxx

Back